504 windscreen fitting
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 504 windscreen fitting

1929 Move Over, The Crash of 2010 leaves you for dead... Hi all in Puegeot Land... Some time ago (pre Crash) I requested and got an answer on my inability to fit a 504 windscreen... The answer was to ditch the rubber and glue the screen directly on to the body... But, the answer didn't include what happens to the interior trim... Do I cut down the rubber and leave the internal to retain the trim or have I missed something... It has rained up here for months and this is the first time I've had the opportunity to shuffle the shed to work in out of the weather... I'm also fitting heavy duty springs shockies and mounts on the rear suspension and have taken advice on this... Also does everybody know about Barry Stennet in Toowoomba, Peugeot and Renault Parts and Service? He has the biggest collection of spares anybody can imagine, Scores of old French cars piled up... He doesn't know about the net yet. But here's a contact No. for him. 07 46301699. Thanks for everybodys previous help, Seamus Duffy

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Duffy View Post
    The answer was to ditch the rubber and glue the screen directly on to the body... But, the answer didn't include what happens to the interior trim... Do I cut down the rubber and leave the internal to retain the trim or have I missed something...
    Are you sure ?
    May I ask what are the advantages ?

Thanks
    Chadi

1982 504 SR white manual sedan with A/C (257 000 Km)
    2012 308 1.6 VTi Vapor Grey manual H/B (35000 Km)
    1994 405 1.6 white manual sedan (208 000 Km)
    1992 605 SV24 (91 000 Km)
    2005 406 2.0L automatic (Replaced with a 2013 C5)
    1983 505 GR white manual sedan with A/C (170000 Km)

All since new

Tadpole

Default The advantages

First, there's no way to fit the windscreen... Three different groups of people have tried, I've done one windscreen (brand new, sigh) cracking the corner... I've made enquiry of the previous owner and found a couple of Kangaroos had been hit but nothing major... the windscreen seems to have clearance when laid on the body without the rubber but will not fit with it... Over $480 spent and I'm damned if I'll give up...Seamus D
    Last edited by Seamus Duffy; 27th November 2010 at 10:25 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi, "Rally" on this forum has the screen in his 504 glued in. He's currently competing in the Classic outback Trial but if you wait until next week he will probably be able to advise on the fitment.

Cheers

Jim

This is my neighbour's car (1982 GR) and he changed the windscreen recently (accident). He put in a new one with its rubber, so I'll ask him if he knows any details.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 504 windscreen fitting-img_9715.jpg  
    Chadi

1982 504 SR white manual sedan with A/C (257 000 Km)
    2012 308 1.6 VTi Vapor Grey manual H/B (35000 Km)
    1994 405 1.6 white manual sedan (208 000 Km)
    1992 605 SV24 (91 000 Km)
    2005 406 2.0L automatic (Replaced with a 2013 C5)
    1983 505 GR white manual sedan with A/C (170000 Km)

All since new

Tadpole

Default Any Idea When

Hi Jim, Thanks for that... Any idea when Rally might be back? I'd committed tomorrow to the task, I've just finished replacing the rear springs, shocks and mounting rubbers, back brakes and refilled the diff and wanted to get the windscreen done as well... Greedy I suppose... Thanks again, Seamus Duffy

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Duffy View Post
    Hi Jim, Thanks for that... Any idea when Rally might be back? I'd committed tomorrow to the task, I've just finished replacing the rear springs, shocks and mounting rubbers, back brakes and refilled the diff and wanted to get the windscreen done as well... Greedy I suppose... Thanks again, Seamus Duffy
    Hi, Andy won't be back until at least Sunday as the rally only finishes in Forbes this afternoon.

Cheers

Jim

Tadpole

Default Thank You...

Thank you for that Jim, I'll wait 'til he gets back... S

Having fitted 504 windscreens many times over the years I can't understand what the problem is.
    Unless the car bady is distorted or the windscreen is too big it is pretty straight foward.

Excatly how have they gone about installing tem?

On the other hand, there is merit in glueing them in the avoid leakage.

Tadpole

Default Fitting Windscreen

The system of installation was apparently tried and true... Originally tried with the chrome and then without, and the final person to try has fitted dozens of Pug Screens and had never struck one he couldn't install until I came along... Only the top left hand corner refuses to sheet home but is incredibly frustrating... As I've explained, the screen sits happily with clearance sans rubber but will not go with... The screen is at the moment held in at the top with Gaffa Tape neatly done but beginning to break down and peel... Roll on the glue... I have an aging Kelpie dog who travels not well in the alternate wheels, she's 17yo and I owe her my neck so I need her chariot up and running... S.

I've never tried fitting a 504 windscreen with the stainless steel strips already on.

It has to be either the size of the windscreen or the size/shape of the recess. To find out which one is the problem why not try measuring the dimensions of a 504 windscreen recess on another 504, obviously one without a windscreen fitted.

I measured a windscreen I've got laying around and, along the bottom its at the widest point 1368mm ... across the top corner to corner = 1155mm... height in the middle = 584mm .. diagonals are 1347mm.

Keep in mind its a bit tricky to measure something with radiused corners and I tried to measure just before the beginning of each radius.

Thread Information