Big Thanks to Demannu
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Big Thanks to Demannu

How to explain?

Advertisement

Well some while back [several months] I agreed to buy an engine from Scotty.
    I was in no hurry so he suggested that at some time he'd be driving from Adelaide to Brisbane and could virtually drop it at my door.
    I'm in the Upper Hunter NSW and I live an hour out of Scone via some treacherous backroads, so the arrangement was modified to me meeting Scott in the park in Scone when he was passing through.

So the day finally arrived on Sundy night, Scott arriving at the appointed place at the ungodly hour of 11pm. I'd just got back from a round trip in the 406 from Stewarts Brook return to Katoomba when I found the message on the phone.
    So I bolted in , back to Scone with my old 4wd Hilux with crane mounted on the back, and found the intrepid Scott having a quick snooze in his nice old 505 HDi wagon at the aforementioned park.
    It turned out he had a carload of stuff to deliver to all and sundry who were in need, with other pickups and deliveries scheduled along the way to Brisbane.
    He was having a shed clearance and picking up some long awaited cargo from the motherland.
    Well it took us about 20 minutes to coax my engine onto the back of my ute with the help of the crane and Scotts engine mount and meanwhile I had a great chat with the man.
    So pleased to meet yer Scott, and grateful fer the cargo.
    It's a project I have, to fit a nice engine in the old 406 with the blown engine that I got from Goodwins for spares, but which was way too nice to wreck.
    What a buzz, to get an engine in such a way, from a cool guy in the middle of the night.
    Adds new meaning to midnight spares indeed.
    You have to admire a bloke who travels such huge distances with precious goods for pug nuts hither and yon.

Onya Scott.

Legend. Travel safe.

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    I'm in the Upper Hunter NSW and I live an hour out of Scone via some treacherous backroads,
    Good froggy story!

I know those back roads well. My shock absorber burst on the way to gundy.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Yup, he's a lad, that Scotty! Yesterday he continued his exploration of NSW back roads on the way to brisbane, stopping off at Costa's garage in Goonengerry out the back of Mullumbimby to pick up some 505 rims. We had a good natter and a look at his diesel conversion. He had a motor, gearbox and other bits in the boot as well as the 4 rims when he left. On ya indeed
    Goonengerry 505

Icon14

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    You have to admire a bloke who travels such huge distances with precious goods for pug nuts hither and yon.

Onya Scott.

Legend. Travel safe.
    I had a similar experience with Scott a few years ago. He brought over to Melbourne some panels and parts for my 505. Some were from another AF member, all the way from Adelaide.

He brought them over in an immaculate looking dark blue 404 wagon. I thought I must have dreamed that bit.

Good to hear some of the genuine froggy goodwill and enthusiasm still shines!
    '66 404 Wagon
    '78 504 Wagon
    '89 505 GTI S II Familiale

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Scotty resprayed that 404 himself. Wanna tell us how you did the paint job Scott?

I know, but I'd better not tell!
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

1000+ Posts

The goodwill for my project continues.
    This is wonderful.
    I bought the 406 with the blown motor from Goodwins and it's been sitting there waiting for the possibility of a new engine for some time.
    Of course I'd looked at it a bit before this, but once the motor arrived it got a bit more serious.
    So I'm going over what I can see with my complete and working car to compare notes with, and I finally realize that the ECU box is missing on the car to be fixed. The ECU unit is there, but not the box.
    So I call Steve, but he doesn't know what happened to the box.
    Mal gives me a number for Peter Haughton. Peter gives me a number for Kaye Porter. Kaye gives me the number for Port Stephens Steering where John Quinn's car was first taken when the timing belt broke.
    [John Quinn is now deceased so I have the honour of fixing and owning his car.]
    I call them and they are happy to have a look around.
    Next day I call again, and miracle of miracles, they have the box and a few other bits, at least a year since it all happened I believe.
    As luck would have it, I was taking my Mum to Williamtown airport today so it wasn't a great problem to go the extra distance to Anna Bay to pick up these final bits.
    It looks like things are falling into place for this 406. Give me a few days and she'll be whole again.
    I'm impressed. I think this will be a real good car. I am so grateful for all the great vibes that have been given thus far. It makes life worth living.

Glad to have been of some help to everyone. The way I see it, that's the idea of this forum!

4400kms, 310 litres of diesel, 80 hours away from home. Opened the bonnet once, because I'd run out of windscreen washer fluid. Some minor issues with the cruise control on the way up, but they seemed to resolve themselves by the time I got to Brisbane and didn't pop up again.

Ahh yes, the old 404 wagon. There's no secret that I spray painted that with spray cans. It did look really good for about 7 years before the sun made the paint start to peel from the roof. Solution: Back to the hardware store, another 4 cans, respray the roof.

Sad story about that car, I had to clear out some space at the old workshop and so I told the guys to send a very rusty 504 shell to the crusher. I was away in Brisbane at the time. 6 weeks later when I came home, the scrappie had collected the wrong car. I was devastated.

I've heard rumours though that it didn't end up getting crushed, and might be still floating around somewhere. If someone runs across a dark blue '64 404 wagon with 2 litre, electronic ignition, cruise control, BA7/4 with floor shift, I'd be interested to know if it was saved!

Anyway, it was great to meet another 7 Aussiefroggers, including the most random encounter with NIMBIN who found me in the street in Lismore checking my map, what a top bloke!

Was a good trip overall, again, glad I could help.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Random encounters with froggers: my brother Hayden and I were doing a mountain bike trip with another couple of mates. We were in Hayden's 504 and another car. We parked at a supermarket in Wodonga (I think) to buy some food, we're in the supermarket and one of our mates says there's some guy outside looking at our car. So I headed out there and say G'day and it turns out that it's Ralph (Matt) from Aussiefrogs so we have a big handshake and a chat etc! Matt guessed it might have been me when he saw the car. Our mates couldn't believe that we "knew" this guy that we'd never met before! Just because of an old Pug. Wouldn't get that if you were driving a Camry.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Thread Information