Faded plastics - solution?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Default Faded plastics - solution?

Hello all,

My 1998 306 has vast tracts of black plastic that has oxidised. It does come up a treat with autoglym bumper care (I have found this to be the only bumper product that works to any significant extent, is rain and washing resistant), however it still needs monthly applications. Is it possible/worth it to get the exposed black areas painted a suitable shade of black as a permanent fix? Or should I just keep up with the autoglym? I do not want to get the black areas colour-coded for it'd look a bit 'ghetto'/'ricer'.

Advertisement

Before the grand crash, I remember there being a thread wherein a bloke resprayed all the plastics on his Mi16. Looked amazing and IMO well worth the effort. I think its basically a matter of covering the surrounding paint and body, choose a nice spray can, and going to town...

If it helps, the guy was from Adelaide (IIRC)

Monsieur 405

I use meguiars trim detailer, it last way more than a month (more like 3 or 4 months) on my archs etc on my s3 205 gti.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur 405 View Post
    Before the grand crash, I remember there being a thread wherein a bloke resprayed all the plastics on his Mi16. Looked amazing and IMO well worth the effort. I think its basically a matter of covering the surrounding paint and body, choose a nice spray can, and going to town...

If it helps, the guy was from Adelaide (IIRC)

Monsieur 405
    Use some plastic primer/adhesion promoter and then some two pack with some flex additive and respray the parts. You can also add matt accent (flatener) to reduce the gloss to match the original finish. Watch the vapors.

It best to take the trim off the car.

Spray cans are a short term solution and will soon dull off.

Plasticare is amazing. Have to buy it off ebay though. It's a dye, so it stains your trim. It doesn't paint it, it dyes it.

Half the trick is removing the old grey oxidised plastic that makes your placky bits look tired.
    I use a stripper, like paint stripper (test first), then a blast of high pressure water using a repeatable pattern like I would if i were using a sander.
    Its the same thing,you are removing the surface layers just using water instead of sand paper.
    Once this is done, I dust it with satin black quick dry enamel.
    Use the lightest coating, as you need to maintain the OE texture of the trim bits, and over thick paint looks super amateur.
    In time the enamel paint shrinks to be very very thin.
    The same can not be said of the acrylic bumper paints I have tried that go on thick and stay thick.
    If you stuff it up, just paint strip and start again.
    Obviously, dont strip `the parts when` they are still on the car.

So far, all my exterior and interior has been given this treatment, even the vinyl and the Etag.

Jo

I have been reading very positive reports about an American product called Forever Black. Apparently, this product actually penetrates the plastic, so it's more than skin deep and lasts quite well.

I finally tracked some down over the weekend (at Super Cheap!), but have yet to give it a shot.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

Quote Originally Posted by Boyracer View Post
    I have been reading very positive reports about an American product called Forever Black. Apparently, this product actually penetrates the plastic, so it's more than skin deep and lasts quite well.
    Problem is using that product will see your bumpers swell up and become disproportionatly large.

Jo

Do you think so, Jo?

http://www.foreverblack.com/products.html

And here's a pic Forever Black feature on their packaging.

Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

Do you think so, Jo?
    No, it was a racist joke.

Jo

Default Penetrol

Quote Originally Posted by c2105026 View Post
    Hello all,

My 1998 306 has vast tracts of black plastic that has oxidised. It does come up a treat with autoglym bumper care (I have found this to be the only bumper product that works to any significant extent, is rain and washing resistant), however it still needs monthly applications. Is it possible/worth it to get the exposed black areas painted a suitable shade of black as a permanent fix? Or should I just keep up with the autoglym? I do not want to get the black areas colour-coded for it'd look a bit 'ghetto'/'ricer'.

I used (as recommended here before the crash) Penetrol (wait for it) "Penetrol rust treatment" (the old thread explained how it works, poster was a chemist, something about its penetrating properties). It comes in a 300g pressure pack can about $15. Would be enough to do all plastic bits twice.
    It has the consistency of water and I sprayed it onto a brush, wiped excess off with a rag. It was very simple to use on the plastic bits. I also gave the dash a go too. No harmful effects any where, (even spilled on paint work).

It lasted about 12 months. The white oxide has not appeared at about 24 months.

Google the product and its availability.

Good luck
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Fellow Frogger!

I finally tracked some down over the weekend (at Super Cheap!), but have yet to give it a shot.
    Yep I have used this product on the 205 to great effect. Been on the car now for 6 months without reapplication, and it lives outside in the rain. A few spots of very minor streaking, but for something out of a bottle that you apply with a sponge, it does the trick.
    1992 205 Si
    Current: shortened diff (4.4), short shifter, group N top mounts, rebuilt engine and box, solid engine mounts, 1.75" exhaust, strut brace, OMP wheel, GTI suspension & subframe front and rear, lowered 30mm front and rear, solid rear bush, Koni yellows, 306 XT front discs and calipers, ADR compliant braided brake lines, 14" rallye wheels, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec tyres, immobiliser

Buy a small tin of Wattyl Craftsman black stain, add a splash of red Proof-Tint, and apply with a foam brush or similar, to a clean (suggest mild caustic wash/rinse) surface while wearing gloves.

The red will enhance the black's "blackness" - a printer's trick. As the mix is a solvent dye it will bite into most plastics other than polythene or Teflon. Don't rag on or brush back and forth as this can affect the grain/stipple of the surface.

Good luck removing overbrushing or splashes...

Tadpole

ok, all good tips....

i am due to go to a body shop shortly to repair a carpark ding. i destroyed the other car, had already paid the excess, so may as well get mine done for nix...anyways, i was going to get the bodyshop to run over it properly whilst its getting the accident repair done. i tried to paint plastic once; did not work. so will leave it for a pro...if the quote is too high, i will have a go myself. will involve removing the bumper and the side protection strips (rear bumper is quite new, car had been recently rear-ended at time of purchase)

wish me luck!

BTW i found that forever black did not penetrate AT ALL, meguiars trim detailer washed off with the first heavy rainfall......

ok, all good tips....

i am due to go to a body shop shortly to repair a carpark ding. i destroyed the other car, had already paid the excess, so may as well get mine done for nix...anyways, i was going to get the bodyshop to run over it properly whilst its getting the accident repair done. i tried to paint plastic once; did not work. so will leave it for a pro...if the quote is too high, i will have a go myself. will involve removing the bumper and the side protection strips (rear bumper is quite new, car had been recently rear-ended at time of purchase)

wish me luck!

BTW i found that forever black did not penetrate AT ALL, meguiars trim detailer washed off with the first heavy rainfall......
    I'm yet to see a paint shop treatment of textured plastic that I like the look of.

They put undercoat on for starters and build the paint thickness up too high.

That might be ok for a commodore or Kia with no texture in the plastic but looks absolutely stupid on a french car.

My bumpers and trim all look OE because of the texture, not because of the colour.

Jo

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Yep, I'm with Rob... only fix is 2pack .... with heaps of flattener in the clear Unless you want them shinier than the rest of the car

What about softish rubber like the spoiler on my car though ... Hmm.... All of the interior "shiners" work well on it. However that's not protecting the underlying rubber/plastic from the elements.

The texture will stay there to a certain point.... So long as no repair was required. You can buy products the "swell up" emulating the grainy texture of 80's plastic though.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Tadpole

Old panelbeaters trick passed on to me by a mate.

Vaseline Seriously. Make sure you really work it in. When i laughed at the person that told me this he offered to do the trim on my 306 as proof.

Looks great so far and its been about a month.

Tadpole

there is no texture on the front or rear bumpers, only the sides. i am happy to lose the texture on the sides, if it means a permanent solution. will have to specify flatteners, defenitely, or even do it in a matt black

Quote Originally Posted by PuggedUp View Post
    Old panelbeaters trick passed on to me by a mate.

Vaseline Seriously. Make sure you really work it in. When i laughed at the person that told me this he offered to do the trim on my 306 as proof.

Looks great so far and its been about a month.
    If you heat it up to about 80 degrees, then spray it on in the sun, It works a treat.

I use vasso on my dash and interior.

Jo

there is no texture on the front or rear bumpers, only the sides. i am happy to lose the texture on the sides, if it means a permanent solution. will have to specify flatteners, defenitely, or even do it in a matt black
    Not mat black, satin black.

Satin black has the same sheen as fresh plastic and will look OE. Mat black will look like you've used tyre black...

Jo

Forever Black from supercheap is a great bit of kit.

Applied to the faded bumpers of my 306 a year ago and still looks like it rolled off the showroom floor.

Highly recommended.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Yep I agree

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    Forever Black from supercheap is a great bit of kit.

Applied to the faded bumpers of my 306 a year ago and still looks like it rolled off the showroom floor.

Highly recommended.
    i've used a bottle of Forever black with great resuslts on 405& 306 bumpers, door strips,etc, 404 instrument binnacles,and lots of other applications ...does a great job but may need two coats, and be prepared to mask surrounding area for a neat result.

Cheers

John

I found forever black was difficult to apply evenly when I tried it.

Lots of people spray using UHT Vinyl dye with good results. I've test applied it to a few things and it does look good, but a little too glossy. I'm waiting on a bottle of Pasticare (ebay) which I've heard good things about.

I just used a spray can of black, taped up the surrounds and gave it a good spraying. Has lasted ages and is easy to do, preparation was a quick clean down...

If you use it on the exterior trim Jo you can slip into tight parks!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information