306 gti6 - buying advice needed
  • Register
  • Help
    eli
    Tadpole

Default 306 gti6 - buying advice needed

Hi All,

Advertisement

I'm thinking about buying a 306 gti6 and was hoping some people on here would be able to give me some of their wisdom on these cars.

In particular, what are servicing costs like, how easy are they to work on yourself (I'm reasonable with a spanner), common problems, what I should look out for etc.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Eli

Got to be easier than the 205, Eli!

Have a look at the 306GTi forum, the 'how to' guides are useful to give an idea of what's involved in working on the car. Similar to the Mi16 in many areas.

2005 Renault Clio Sport 182 Cup
    1983 Peugeot 505 SRDT

eli
    Tadpole

But is it as much fun?

Kicking myself I sold my 205gti now...to a new driver who's probably broken it...

Thanks for the tip, will check it out.

The 6 is a great car - always puts a smile on your face.

The only issues i have had with my car (after 5 years) is the lower engine mounts needing changing, and the indicator stalk is playing up

Main thing with service is to make sure timing belt gets changed every 4 years or 80k km. Changing the oil yourself is a bit of a b*tch as the amount of room between the radiator and oil filter is limited.

good luck finding a nice car
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

eli
    Tadpole

How important is changing the timing belt every four years as against 80k kms? Does it need any Peugeot specific tools to change it?

So they aren't such a great car for the home grease mechanic?

Fellow Frogger!

The guys on the GTi6 forum (mainly in the UK) seem to recommend changing the timing belt every 30k miles (approx 50k km) because they are prone to snapping early...

As for other things to look for, I've had mine for 40k km from 140k and it's done two engine mounts, control arm bushes, front shocks, and some electrical niggles. There may be other things I can't remember off the top of my head.

My advice would be to make sure everything inside works perfectly. I see the engine mounts, shocks, bushes etc. as wear and tear items, but the electrical problems are a real pain in the arse!

All the best with the hunt, they're great fun to drive! Having said that I've never driven a 205 to compare it too.

Cheers,
    Stu

eli
    Tadpole

What causes such premature wear? Can anything be done to avoid it? Every 30k miles seems excessive, but don't want to be caught out with a snapped belt.

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely keep it all in mind.

Eli

Thread Information