207 GT/GTi cold start diesel-like rattle
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 207 GT/GTi cold start diesel-like rattle

Hi. I am looking for feedback from owners of 207 GT/GTis who have experienced the cold start diesel-like rattle issue with their cars.

This is my very brief experience. On Friday last in Sydney it was cold (17C) and rainy. That morning I had to move and park my GTi from the carport (which is on level ground) down to the roadway (which is on an uphill slope) and back on 2 occasions. I had to make room for several delivery trucks.

So the car never warmed up properly, had 4 very short trips, and was parked and restarted on an uphill slope twice. This is something that might never happen again. When I restarted the car from the carport that afternoon, the engine started with the diesel-like rattle noise. The noise stopped after several seconds when I engaged gear and moved off. But is was most definitely the rattle noise! It has not made the noise since.

I am well aware that the cold start diesel-like rattle issue may be a problem for the GT/GTi engines, being widely reported on the 207.oc forum and the mini forums. I know there is a BMW check and fix for the Mini Cooper/Cooper S with the same engine but I am not sure what the Peugeot position is.

As I understand it, it is caused by either insufficient tension in the timing chain or the chain tensioner has not bled sufficiently. To fix the first cause requires a new tensioner (and chain, rails and crankshaft sprocket if the chain has stretched beyond a certain limit - big job!). The second cause suggests the noise may only occur under certain circumstances (like what I went through on Friday).

Any comments from 207GT/GTi owners as to their experiences most appreciated. My GTi is a July 2007 build date with 25,000km and a warranty until end January 2011.

Advertisement

Hi Mark, I am assuming the 207 has a VVT type engine?

If so, there may be wear in the cam variator - a problem found in other brands. I have no idea whether such an affliction visits PSA motors, but your description fits.

As your car is under warranty - if it's making a funny noise, don't be fobbed off.

regards, Adam.

Tadpole

Thanks Adam. Yes the engine is a VVT type.

I put this same post on 207.co and was advised to get the upgraded tensioner installed while under warranty and that this cures the noise problem. It is apparently a one day job. I would much rather have just the tensioner replaced than let it get worse and require a new chain, rails and sprocket etc down the track (and at my expense).

I will be talking to Peugeot tomorrow and I'll post how it goes.

Cheers, Mark

Tadpole

There is an upgraded chain tensioner only for this.
    it will definitely cure the rattle from my experience..

Tadpole

Thanks Phantom.

It suggests from what you have said that you have had the upgraded chain tensioner fitted and it cured your 207 GTi's cold start rattle problem. Is that correct? If so, could you elaborate on your experience, such as how often your car was experiencing the noise, under what conditions, and who undertook the diagnosis and repair.

At the moment, Alec Mildren and Peugeot Australia are indicating they will need to hear the noise themselves before authorising a warranty repair. This is despite me providing an explicit written description of how it occurred. I am reluctant to give them the car in an attempt to reproduce the noise. It is most unlikely they will be able to do so because it has only occurred for me on the one occasion under very cold conditions (not forecast here in Sydney for a while) and short trips with no warm-up, parking uphill etc. So after days without the car I will be told it is all OK - a complete waste of everyone's time.

Why can't they accept my word, acknowledge this a recognised issue, and authorise the repair? What do others think?

Cheers, Mark

Thread Information