405 Mi16 Driving Light Options..
  • Register
  • Help

Default 405 Mi16 Driving Light Options..

I want to put some decent driving light on my 405 Mi16.

Advertisement

I live in a rural area and have had lots of near misses with roos lately... not to mention the roo that clobbered the side wife's 306 a couple of months ago..... nice dents in the rear drives side door.

Anyway. I know what I could buy light wise, but I thought I would ask the forum what looks and works best of a 405 and what are the best ways to mount them.

I want to avoid the small 'hitler-mo' light mount behind the front number plate that seems popular... But I haven't seen a nudge bar, bull-bar embellished 405 recently, and am not sure if this is the way to go. Have people just mounted light onto the bumper, and if so, above or below? What about air flow to the radiator?

Any photos of 405s with various options would be good....

I don't plan to go over the top, full rally replica, etc. Just something that does the job and lets me see the roos before they decide to hop out in front of me.....
    Last edited by paulrb; 17th November 2010 at 09:24 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

I have also contemplated this. The apparently obvious solution is to replace the useless (in Australia) under-bar fog lights with similar sized driving lights. Cibie used to make a light this size forty years ago. What is out there now?

Tim

Default Driving lights

I still think you can't go past the Hella or Narva 150mm driving lights. Now they come as a spread beam and a pencil beam in the one set. They can be wired as you please and they do produce a great beam when in operation. Mount above the bumper and the will have no affect on the air flow. Use good relays with LARGE cable and good earths.

You will just have to do a juggling act when it comes to the looks. From a rural background, you should already know that every serious driver on country roads has them.

Moo
    Last edited by PugMonkey; 17th November 2010 at 10:07 PM.
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Fellow Frogger!

I just had a quick Google, and it seems that Cibie still make the 35 model (aka "Airport") which looks to be the same size as the standard fitment fog lights on the Mi16. They can be mounted upside down, so should be a direct replacement. However, I don't know if there is a HID conversion available for this model. That seems to be a requirement in 2010.

If there is room, they also make some bigger rectangular lamps which might suit.

Cheers,

Tim

The older style of Hella 181 may even fit into the original driving light housing under the bumper.

.....or convert your existing headlight globes to a HID (High Intensity Discharge) system. A little more fiddly to install but no need for additional lights.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HID-XENON-KIT...item45f6cd0c69
    Last edited by PugMonkey; 17th November 2010 at 10:47 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by PugMonkey View Post
    The older style of Hella 181 may even fit into the original driving light housing under the bumper.

.....or convert your existing headlight globes to a HID (High Intensity Discharge) system. A little more fiddly to install but no need for additional lights.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HID-XENON-KIT...item45f6cd0c69
    At the bottom of the sales pitch it says the instructions are in English - something you can't say for the sales pitch.
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

I come from the country and after market driving lights on my mi16. I used those driving light bars you get from autobarn. Yes I know you don't loke them but it didn't look to bad!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 405 Mi16 Driving Light Options..-mi16-3.jpg   405 Mi16 Driving Light Options..-mi16-2.jpg  

How strong is the light bar? Does it give good stable beam at highway speed?

True driving lights down in the fog light spot will be useless. Tried that years ago, they are better mounted above the bumper for better distance.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY View Post
    How strong is the light bar? Does it give good stable beam at highway speed?

I don't think the bar will be the problem, but is there steel behind the plastic to bolt it to? I actually bought one once - nice and rigid - but then discovered that the Xantia has an entirely plastic bumper, so took it back & got a refund.

Cheers

Alec

The bumper Reo on the 405's are metal. So I just drilled the number plate holes through the reo and put long nuts and bolts through. Really easy to get to back with the grille out!
    I had slim line plates on my car so to see them I had to drill new holes below the originals and screwed the plate back on lower!

Definitely mount the lights above the bumper, less likely hood of breakage from stones and a far better spread of light.
    Haven't tried HID's but they seem to be reasonably priced. Can anyone give a life regarding the globes and/or ballasts? This upgrade for your normal headlights maybe all that's required!
    I'd go for a Cibie or Hella rectangular spread beam with a Philips 50+ etc. globe to suit. Your not driving the Nullabor so pencil beams are not really required. If possible use a 55w globe to keep the electrical load down and when you dip the beams the lighting decrease is far less than 'driving into a coal mine'. Trust me on this one, dropping from 720w (Four 130w powered Turini's and 100w highbeams) down to 110watts of low beam at 100 km/h, or more , is like having a welding mask quickly fitted!
    And for your own safety and sanity use quality relays and decent size wire. I've lost count of the times I've had to fix up cheapskate set ups and some were done by auto elecs who had been instructed to use relay bases if using Bosch relays if they couldn't get New Era fused relays.

....yeah - what he said!

Default MI16 Driving lights

Stay away from the rectangular lights, the best reflector in the world is the eye, and its round!
    I have converted a set of cibie oscars to HID, using one spot and one driving light. They give an excellent spread of light and they look right on a Pug. A quality HID kit can be bought for less than $200 and worth it.
    Run the spot on the RHS and the driving on the left, use the correct wire gauge and a good relay and it will be worth it. How ever you decide to mount them, get them as high as is practical and stay them fom the top of the light back to a mount behind the grill. Vibration or flutter makes for tired eyes.
    Best of luck with the project.

David

Thread Information