Starter Removal Tips / Blinker Stalk
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Starter Removal Tips / Blinker Stalk

Hi Puggers,

1. can anyone give me some tips for starter removal on 306 XSi, like will I stuff up anything if I disconnect battery the wrong way? tricks with starter wiring / disconnection and access
    2. and I got a blinker stalk prob where the right indicator flashes to fast but if I back stalk off a little the blinker works fine??? anyone had this happen to them and what is the fix? new component, where to get em, etc...

Your help is always appreciated, thanks Keith

Advertisement

New Valeo stalk, available cheaper from overseas, will fix most blinker switch issues. Be sure to buy the correct one - there are a good few variants.

For the starter - unhook positive terminal off the battery first, then the negative (for safety).

I found mine easiest when the battery, airbox and throttle body were taken off. On a 306 removal of the entire inlet manifold may speed things up.

Socket head bolts were 8mm, hex stud took a 17mm deep socket. Once starter was free of the bellhousing I dropped it down a little to undo the battery and solenoid terminals (8mm and deep 13mm).

On refitting ensure the main battery-to-starter terminal doesn't get in the way of the solenoid terminal or its nut/tag.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Addo, you've been a help before. I will get to it this arvo or tomorrow morn, whats the differences in the stalks, will the VIN identify correct one, Keith

VIN will help you identify the correct stalk unit.
    I had problems with mine as well and I got a replacement from this mob on ebay:
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/frenchautomotivepartsltd

It cost me less than $300, when I was quoted $900 in Melbourne.

Cheers,
    Paul

Stalk differences can include plug configuration, foglights, horn location. Your VIN will provide the correct part number for the original stalk; then cross match it with the Valeo listings.

Oscaro sell the Febi-Bilstein copies; they ought be OK.

http://www.oscaro.com/comodo-de-clig...2-17096-102-gt

("Scheinwerfer" means foglights, as does "antibrouillards".)

Fellow Frogger!

Default starter

Thanx Addo and others! I got starter out took an hour and put back in in 45 mins. prob have it out in an half time if I had to do it again. gonna have a look at fixn stalk myself before buying a new one. scary money for such an item. Keith

Thread Information