504 - I've got one!
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 504 - I've got one!

After about a year of exclusive motorcycling, I am back on four french wheels!

It's a 1971 2lt GL in sage grey, as advertised recently on the forum. Pics will follow on the weekend.

It is great fun to drive; who would have thought a lounge-room-on-wheels would be so capable?

I do have a few questions though:

Door handles - the front internal door handles don't return after use, and the lock is so stiff I prefer to leave it unlocked for fear of snapping the key. After some guidance from an old post by David McBean, I've checked the spring in both handles and they are well and truly broken.
    Is there a common fix to this problem, or am I left to improvise? I've bought some cheap alligator clips that have a similar spring, but I thought I may as well check here before I reinvent the wheel.

Charging - the charge needle never really gets up into the + side of the middle section, and hovers dangerously low at idle. There is a slight flutter in the headlights at idle, and I noticed the other night a pop through the stereo when the brake lights went on. Is it worth putting a fresh battery in from the get-go or should I start looking somewhere else.

Advertisement

Door seals - are stuffed. Is Scotts Old Auto rubber the place to go?

I'm sure there are more, but I'll add them as I remember.

Ta,
    Rohan

PS: Many thanks to all who have contributed to the forum knowledge base - particularly, those threads on 504s, and of course LeTi who kindly let the car go.
    '96 Peugeot 405 SRDT Station Wagon

'71 Peugeot 504 GL - gone

'91 Peugeot 205si - gone

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Congrats!

And look at that, it has come to Olinda, which is not far at all from Lilydale. Nice corners on the way up there, too. Rohan, we must meet up and compare 504s.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrain View Post
    Charging - the charge needle never really gets up into the + side of the middle section, and hovers dangerously low at idle.
    My memory is a bit hazy but my experience is that it stays in the black between the plus and minus sections but it shouldn't ever go into the red minus bit. You could try turning everything electrical on and seeing what voltage comes out the alternator as a diagnostic exercise.
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Excellent purchase, Rohan (I hope).
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Congrats on the purchase Rohan and welcome to the wonderful world of 504 ownership.

I must say I'm very jealous of your car, the early 504s really are special in my opinion. As Peujohn and I have often remarked, it would be great to have an early original 504 as well as a later modified one like John's. I'm especially jealous of your seats - let me know if you ever intend to remove them!

On that note, what plans do you have for the car? Apart from getting the locks and handles working anything else need doing?

Look forward to pics.
    Current:
    1973 504GL Berline
    1997 406 ST

Past:
    R19RT; 1979 504GL Berline with Factory Air; S3 205GTi; 206GTi; 505STi; R4

Sounds like that lounge room has a character all of its own. Good to see another 504 being appreciated for the great car they are.. find some dirt roads and really enjoy!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

it's not a charge meter but more of a battery condition meter

if all is well it will stay in the black
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Yes......the battery condition meters in 504s always look like they're on the low side, but this is their usual position.
    The important thing is that they don't move from there.
    And if they do, the problem could be alternator, regulator or (obviously) battery.

Hi Rohan,
    I just purchased my 1972, 504 last Friday. I know what you mean about the door handle, took me awhile to work out why I couldn't unlock it from the outside.
    The days at the gym must have been kharma because I am now back into the world of non-power steering. But God does it drive so well on the highway.
    I got lucky, had been eyeing off the 504 up the street for 18 months until he put it up for sale. 154 thousand miles and everything original, including the am radio. Owned by a Doctor for the previous 35 years and serviced every 3000 miles. Such a joy to drive.

PHOTOS PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEE EEEEE!!!!
    Current:
    1973 504GL Berline
    1997 406 ST

Past:

Default Congratulations

Rohan

I am very pleased this car has been sold to an enthusiast. I drove it down at Phillip Island a month or so ago and very reluctantly decided against buying it. I am looking for a daily driver which will be subjected to some fairly rough treatment and this car was too good for this (I confess to driving one 504 into the ground).
    The other thing is that I have been driving a 505STI for the last four years and I have to say I am incredibly impressed with its comfort as a long distance car. I am looking around for a carburettor 505. There is one for sale in Corowa (albeit with very high mileage), but as yet I have not had time to make the five hour drive north to look at it.
    At the time I drove your 504 (BC .... ie; Before Crash) I did post a message commending the car.
    It drives beautifully, LeTI is a good bloke and you have a bargain.
    Enjoy!

Fellow Frogger!

Well, turns out that charge meter was trying to tell me something - not 5 minutes after I started this thread, I went to start the car and failed! New battery in and the multimeter confirms all is well (13.something V at idle with stereo, interior fan and high beams on).

Yes john, I'd love to see some more 504s up close. I'll try to get to the drive day when it gets rescheduled.

Michael, the seats aren't going anywhere! No plans for the car really, just clean it up a little and drive it. It has an after-market stereo which sounds great but looks terrible in the context. I'd like to look at a solution that gives me fm radio and aux in with a period-ish appearance, but we'll see.

Declan, did you fix the door handle problem? I'm going to do some work on it on the weekend so I'll let you know how I go. I certainly know the shock of going to manual steering. - the car has 15in alloys and had 205 wide old tyres, and a smaller steering wheel. New 195 tyres have improved things in that department, and I might go back to 14x5in original wheels at some stage.

PCole, I did see your thread BC and it probably helped tempt me to take a look. The car will get used a fair bit, but it's a pretty easy commute.

Photos on the weekend, promise!

'91 Peugeot 205si - gone

Michael, the seats aren't going anywhere! No plans for the car really, just clean it up a little and drive it. It has an after-market stereo which sounds great but looks terrible in the context. I'd like to look at a solution that gives me fm radio and aux in with a period-ish appearance, but we'll see.
    Rohan,

I've got the original radio in mine but plan to do a similar thing - ie convert it to FM and have an aux out. There's a place in Melbourne called Nostalgic Wirelss who do it. I think I was quoted about $500

I just noticed you ride a z200. I ride a 1983 z250C! We should organise a combined 504 Kawasaki day...
    Current:
    1973 504GL Berline
    1997 406 ST

Past:

Congrats on your purchase Rohan. I've spent a bit of time in that car with leTi and it's a gem.

As far as the door handles are concerned, you may be able to adapt a spring from a clothes peg. I seem to recall managing to achieve this a long time ago on one of my 504's. (But memory fades with time!)

If your battery is testing OK, then take a close look at the battery terminals and connections. The air at Rhyll isn't the best for keeping clean contacts, so a removal and scrape mught be all they need? The multimeter is your friend here. Compare the voltage with engine off and then with it running at a fast idle. You should see around 12.5 volts or so with the engine off, and around 14 volts (roughly) if it's charging OK. If there's no increas in the volts as the car is revved up beyond idle, then perhaps the regulator needs attention (or replacement). From memory, that car has a Bosch RE55 or similar standard voltage regulator, Watch the volts on the multimeter as you keep the engine at a constant speed (say about 1500 rpm). If the volts rise to 13.8 or so but vary by a fractoi up and down regularly, then the regulator is 'hunting' and probably needs replacing. They're cheap enough at most places. A click or two in the radio can sometimes indicate a dodgy connection (such as the aforementioned battery terminals) so I suggest you do those first and then see how you get on.

The lock issue may only need a removal of the door card and a liberal application of WD40/RP7/CRC, whatever, on the moving bits. Perhaps a bit of powdered graphite in the lock assembly would be useful as well.

Sounds like the ideal car for someone such as yourself to appreciate and enjoy. After all, if it was perfect it'd be boring 'cause we all want to play with our toys don't we?

See you on the road somewhere, we'll probably both have big grins on our dials!

Cheers, Pottsy
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") Seasoned traveller
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Current project
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

Icon14

After about a year of exclusive motorcycling, I am back on four french wheels!

It's a 1971 2lt GL in sage grey, as advertised recently on the forum. Pics will follow on the weekend.

It is great fun to drive; who would have thought a lounge-room-on-wheels would be so capable?

I only just saw this thread. Congrats Rohan, wishing you many happy kms. I'm also glad it went to someone who appreciates good design!

I'm also a tiny tad envious....
    '66 404 Wagon
    '78 504 Wagon
    '89 505 GTI S II Familiale

1000+ Posts

Congratulations on your purchase but I can assure you your pleasure could not match mine all those years ago when I took delivery of my new sunburst 504 in October 1972 (old stock - build date November 1971.) The bank manager said huffily $4150 - must be quite a car. And it was. The Mazda ad about people not wanting to get out of their cars was quite true in my case. I'm ashamed to say policing wasn't terribly efficient back then and I drove it very, very fast. It saw off high speed challenges from Volvos and Mazda rotaries and seemed perfectly happy to cruise at 90 mph. But you could drive it off road as well and it handled rough tracks with a better ride than a Land Rover. You know the brakes were brought to the attention of an Australian Senate hearing on road safety. Girling regarded them as the best there were.
    Problems - overheat them and they do a head gasket. Quite unforgiving.
    Sadly mine is gathering leaves under a gum tree and I don't see my way to restoring it.

Default Still getting roadworthy

Found a guy in Kingston who will fix the door pins, then have to deal with "the only guy in Hobart" as he says, to wheel balance all four wheels. Then 'Mitterrand' will be back on the road and eating up the highway. For those people who know the Southern Outlet, Mitterrand passes everything. So much power from such a small engine hauling a huge arse. Gotta love her. Still trying to attach photo's. I am obviously doing something wrong.? Have a panel beater friend who is going to give her a new paint job and take her back to original.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 504 - I've got one!-121110-006.jpg   504 - I've got one!-121110-009.jpg  

Default Lock issue

I had a friend who was a locksmith who said you should never use RP7 (as I always did). Eventually it will send things rusty. There is some lock dust which you can buy from a locksmith which you puff into the locks which makes everything smooth and lubricates the cylindars in the locks. Works for much longer and is easy on the keys.

Default Steering

Have now found good massage therapist for blown shoulder blade from trying to parralell park '72 Pug in North Hobart. Would love if Citroen 2CV wheels could replace for parralell parking. Now that I am getting used to the Pug I am not planning on driving anything with power steering for the next twelve months. Everything feels good and standard, but I know if it gets easy that's what I will want. Had friend drive Mitterrand the other day. He had to go back to his butch days and re-learn how to drive a real car. Five minutes later, he loved it! The feel, the handling, the smoothness! My Mum said it looked like her new Hyundai (as older people do - all cars look the same). I said isn't that sad that they have to take their designing cues from a 37 year old car! She agreed.

How much pressure are you running in the front tyres? 504s aren't normally very heavy.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelh View Post
    Rohan,

I've got the original radio in mine but plan to do a similar thing - ie convert it to FM and have an aux out. There's a place in Melbourne called Nostalgic Wirelss who do it. I think I was quoted about $500

I just noticed you ride a z200. I ride a 1983 z250C! We should organise a combined 504 Kawasaki day...
    Hmm, $500 is pretty steep but possibly worth it, though I need to find an original radio to convert first.

A z250C eh, now that is a coincidence. The 504 kwaka day wouldn't be so hard - our tiny bikes would probably fit in the cavernous 504 boot!

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    The lock issue may only need a removal of the door card and a liberal application of WD40/RP7/CRC, whatever, on the moving bits. Perhaps a bit of powdered graphite in the lock assembly would be useful as well.
    This seemed to do the trick, thanks. I think a combination of a stiff mechanism and the locking rod bending was the problem.

I still want to fix the handle spring, but may wimp out and get new items from eai, depending on cost (the replacement springs were too big to fit).

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    Sounds like the ideal car for someone such as yourself to appreciate and enjoy. After all, if it was perfect it'd be boring 'cause we all want to play with our toys don't we?

See you on the road somewhere, we'll probably both have big grins on our dials!

Cheers, Pottsy
    Too right!

Quote Originally Posted by declan67 View Post
    I had a friend who was a locksmith who said you should never use RP7 (as I always did). Eventually it will send things rusty. There is some lock dust which you can buy from a locksmith which you puff into the locks which makes everything smooth and lubricates the cylindars in the locks. Works for much longer and is easy on the keys.
    That dust is the powdered graphite Pottsy mentioned above. I tend to puff it onto the key and then work the key in the barrel, rather than puff it straight into the lock, to avoid putting too much in.

Quote Originally Posted by declan67 View Post
    Have now found good massage therapist for blown shoulder blade from trying to parralell park '72 Pug in North Hobart.
    It's certainly a bit of a shock after driving cars with pas. My car was fairly heavy with a smaller diameter steering wheel and 505 alloys, but new tyres have improved things quite a bit (and I think I'm getting used to it).

Sorry about the photos, they are on the way...

'91 Peugeot 205si - gone

Fellow Frogger!

Default Finally, a pic!

I've admitted to myself that I'm not going to get to take some proper shots, so here is a quick pic straight from the driveway.

504 - I've got one!-504.jpg

Still loving it.

'91 Peugeot 205si - gone

Default 504

Looks superb Rohan!

A few mechanics later and Mitterrand is on the road. Fixed the problem with the heavy steering. Four new tyres, an alignment and a balance and I swear someone slipped in a power steering box! Drives like a new car, so nice to drive at over 80 km/h!

here is a quick pic straight from the driveway.

Still loving it.
    Nice one Rohan, good colour too!
    '66 404 Wagon
    '78 504 Wagon
    '89 505 GTI S II Familiale

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information