Questions about 206 GTi performance mods
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Questions about 206 GTi performance mods

Now that my account can post on the forum again after the great AF deletion of 2010, I thought I'd ask advice on a few performance mods for the Peugeot 206 GTi with the EW10J4 engine.

Strut bars and lower arms
    -Do these actually have a noticeable effect on handling? Has anybody tried them?

Performance Camshafts
    -I need an ECU upgrade or MAF sensor interceptor for this to actually run in my engine right?

Advertisement

ECUs
    -Can any aspiration or other modifications actually have ANY effect on torque and throttle response without upgrading the ECU?
    -Where can I get and how much can I expect to pay/gain for an ECU upgrade and tune (I realise I'd probably need to have it tuned in Brisbane by Magic or somebody, since Cairns mechanics only know V6s, V8s and diesels).

ITBs
    -Has anybody on AF had/done an individual throttle body upgrade to a car? Details of experience?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide on this. All I'm looking to gain is 10-30KW and comparable torque in the end, and looking to spend up to $1000 to achieve it (any more and I might as well buy another car such as a 205 GTi or a 4AGE AE86 corolla for driving fast in/taking to drag strip! P.S. I realise Pugs aren't designed for drag racing, but we don't have a track here that will let cars on - only a large go-kart track ).

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Blufires View Post
    Now that my account can post on the forum again after the great AF deletion of 2010, I thought I'd ask advice on a few performance mods for the Peugeot 206 GTi with the EW10J4 engine.

Strut bars and lower arms
    -Do these actually have a noticeable effect on handling? Has anybody tried them?
    not 100% sure but strongly suspect yes. Anything that improves rigidity of the suspension will result in more power to the ground and less power lost in cornering. It also of course helps keep the wheels flat and firm on the ground.

Performance Camshafts
    -I need an ECU upgrade or MAF sensor interceptor for this to actually run in my engine right?
    not sure
    ECUs
    -Can any aspiration or other modifications actually have ANY effect on torque and throttle response without upgrading the ECU?
    -Where can I get and how much can I expect to pay/gain for an ECU upgrade and tune (I realise I'd probably need to have it tuned in Brisbane by Magic or somebody, since Cairns mechanics only know V6s, V8s and diesels).
    ECU's will remap themselves providing changes aren't radically outside their scope. For example exhaust mods will generally be accomodated by the ECU in about 100kmsor so (using feedback from the oxygen sensor). However depending on the extent of the modification you need the advise of an expert. Of which there is likely one on the forum but me

I'm not up on ECU prices, maybe anything between $500 and $1500 or more? Again wait for input from someone who knows better than I. Regarding gain, from what I can gather, between 5% and 15% without doing any other mods. 15% is probably absolutely best case scenario. I think the value of a chip really comes when it's packaged with other modifications (ie engine mods).
    ITBs
    -Has anybody on AF had/done an individual throttle body upgrade to a car? Details of experience?
    Not personally. You can do a cold air intake mod usually without changing the throttle body, which will give you a couple of kW gain easily. By installing a panel air filter from a good quality maker such as K&N, and rerouting the air intake to the front air dam.

What's not a good idea, is fitting a pod air filter where you are getting warm air from the engine bay.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide on this. All I'm looking to gain is 10-30KW and comparable torque in the end, and looking to spend up to $1000 to achieve it (any more and I might as well buy another car such as a 205 GTi or a 4AGE AE86 corolla for driving fast in/taking to drag strip! P.S. I realise Pugs aren't designed for drag racing, but we don't have a track here that will let cars on - only a large go-kart track ).
    Getting 30kW from $1000 is unrealistic. 10kW is doable. Cold air intake mod, 2in exhaust system with hi flo muffler and cat. Throw in a set of headers, and maybe another $500, and you could get up to 20kW in total.

But please, I am no expert, seek other advice also. :-)

btw, the EW10J4 is a hot little engine. And if you go for another car, I recommend sell the GTi and add a couple of thousand and get the GTi 180 (there's your 30 extra kW, plus other extras).

Fellow Frogger!

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, in a Top Gear test, the 206GTi 180 bested the 205 GTi in straight line performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMgPcluchYI

Thread Information