[PICTURES] 206 GTi with LED mods
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Icon6 [PICTURES] 206 GTi with LED mods

Hey first up I just want to say that I realise there is a diverse community here at AF, and these modifications will not be to everybody's liking.

Here is the list of mods:
    -10mm LED T10 parking lights
    -48cm 5mm white LED light strips under headlights
    -48cm 5mm orange LED light strips above headlights (not shown)
    -120cm SMD green LED light strips under bumper bars and side skirts

Soon to arrive (i'll post photos if anybody's interested) are some of those generic "altezza" clear chrome rear lights.

Advertisement

Ok, here are some photos...

Quote Originally Posted by Blufires View Post
    Hey first up I just want to say that I realise there is a diverse community here at AF, and these modifications will not be to everybody's liking.

Here is the list of mods:
    -10mm LED T10 parking lights
    -48cm 5mm white LED light strips under headlights
    -48cm 5mm orange LED light strips above headlights (not shown)
    -120cm SMD green LED light strips under bumper bars and side skirts

Soon to arrive (i'll post photos if anybody's interested) are some of those generic "altezza" clear chrome rear lights.

Ok, here are some photos...

If you want people to view the images you need to make them a sensible size, even off imageshack a 3.2 meg image takes sooo long to load. I'm on 100mbbs connection and gave up after getting 1/3 of the first image.

Suggest you use irfanview and resize to a few hundred Kb.

It's also courtesy for dial up users.

I'd be worried an A380 might try landing on it!

More of an "under the radar" type myself but can't knock the effort.

Fellow Frogger!

Nice lights. Not a big fan of underbody lights for myself, if I want to be noticed it's for performance (ie: mean exhaust sounds!), not bling

That said though I enjoy checking lights out when someone else has done it. Also, I have had this weird idea for a while of having "christmas" lights, where I can run red and green underbody, and interior christmas lights around the windows, just at christmas you know, to get into the spirit of it!! So to each their own really

And I really dig a well lit up dash, with gauges everywhere! So it's like a jet cockpit.

RE: image size, Flickr free accounts are pretty good - you can upload any size but it automatically get's resized to 800x600. If you really want to display bigger sizes it's $25 a year. Any pics you have uploaded on the free account then become available at the full size.

The free option is a good alternative for someone just wanting to post images on forums and such like.

You can use the share/bbcode function to paste the images on forums in a range of sizes.

In NSW you would be illegal...

Maybe the Qld cops might be a little kinder up there?

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Fellow Frogger!

Yeah, I'm aware of that, but since I don't plan on actually doing it, I can fantasise about it. :-)

And no, the cops aren't any kinder up here.

Last year around the silly season, I saw a tradie Rodeo ute with red and blue tinsel wrapped around the front roof bar. Red one side, blue the other. As it drove, the tinsel shimmered and it looked slightly like a paddy wagon coming up on you.

Nice effort mate. Next time I'm up there we'll do some art photography of the car at dusk. Just wondering if you have thought of adding a "chaser style controller" to the lights for the festive season?

Fellow Frogger!

Chaser style controller - another thing I've always wanted - a KIT style hi-level rear break light! Okay I know it's crass but what the hell...

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    I'd be worried an A380 might try landing on it!
    Not the moment though .. LOL

Fellow Frogger!

Oh, A380's may be grounded but Qantas seem to have many other engine-challenged aircraft that may need to land in a hurry!

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    Dave
    G'day,
    Stay away from blue lights. The man definitely doesn't like these.

regards
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Fellow Frogger!

The international standard for automotive lighting, a UN convention, generally adhered to by all states in Australia I believe, is as follows "Generally, but with some global and regional exceptions, lamps facing rearward must emit red light, lamps facing sideward and all turn signals must emit amber light (though in North America rear turn signals may emit either amber or red light), lamps facing frontward must emit white or selective yellow light, and no other colours are permitted except on emergency vehicles" (wikipedia)

Not sure what the current legislation with underbody lighting is, but I think it'sfine as long as you don't drive with it in operation.

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post

Dave
    Don't bet on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by max_wedge View Post
    The international standard for automotive lighting, a UN convention, generally adhered to by all states in Australia I believe, is as follows "Generally, but with some global and regional exceptions, lamps facing rearward must emit red light, lamps facing sideward and all turn signals must emit amber light (though in North America rear turn signals may emit either amber or red light), lamps facing frontward must emit white or selective yellow light, and no other colours are permitted except on emergency vehicles" (wikipedia)

Not sure what the current legislation with underbody lighting is, but I think it'sfine as long as you don't drive with it in operation.
    I think they can still defect the car with the lights fitted.

Look different however.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Fellow Frogger!

I suppose as long as you're not hooning around and giving them an excuse to check for defects (or using the underbody lights on the road) you should be fine.

But check the penalty (if it is one) for driving with them fitted to the car, make sure there isn't some stupid anti-hooning legislation that let's them impound your car for it.

Fellow Frogger!

took me 6 seconds just now to load an image, I am on ADSL2+ and live in a regional area. If you live in a major city and have 100Mb/s, chances you have viruses on your computer or a leech on your network. Probably a combination.

People with dialup are living in the past. They likely own 504s and most probably aren't interested in undercar lighting or any "cat eye" era pugs.

@addo: That's why I only have lights, it's under the radar at the flick of the switch I press when I leave McDonalds carparks with my P plate pal in his lowered holden viva with a bodykit, 15" woofer and 17" rims.

@dhaw: Sounds cool. Unfortunately the strips are all surface mount LEDs on a ribbon cable under a layer of plastic, so resoldering out of paralell is a no-go

As for the legislation:

"Additional lights fitted to motor vehicles and, in particular, alternative lighting on dressed up
    vehicles with underbody lighting, such as neon lights and ultra violet lights, are acceptable,
    subject to certain conditions."

"As such, additional underbody lighting such as neon lights and ultra violet lights are
    acceptable provided the light omitted is not blue, yellow, red or white. Of the last two, red
    lights must not be seen from the front and white must not be seen from the rear. Other
    colours are acceptable as long as they do not flash or dazzle another driver."

Quotes from the following PDF:
    http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/95...3d_feb2004.pdf

I've also seen other documentation on the legality of these lights on the Queensland Transport website and they all say that lights which are not red yellow blue or white can be anywhere on the car, provided that they don't flash. None of the documents comment on whether they can be used while driving. Ever seen a 4WD with 4 spot lights across the bullbar? ILLEGAL - They have to be no less than 60cm appart. That law isn't enforced because the drivers aren't usually reverse-to-first fanatics with Hilltop Hoods blasting. So as long as a bodykitted Lancer on 19" rims (or Holden Viva as mentioned above) with the music too loud and drunken bogans yelling from the windows isn't sporting the neons, they aren't much of a problem.

I've driven past a police car with officers inside with the neons on in a McDonalds carpark, then turned them off and driven onto the road on a few occasions. Never had a problem. I don't turn them on while driving because I don't want to look like a deuchebag. The only people who appreciate these things without rambling on about legality and the rice factor are 17 year old girls, who really are the target audience for any car modifications on an 18 year old's car. As such, they're only used when picking up said girls from a location in the dark.

The lights are legal, but are only used (for discretionary reasons) on occasions which call for them.

P.S. if anybody was interested, the 3rd party taillights are not coming now. ebay user backed out on me claiming they were broken on the way to the post office :S
    Last edited by Blufires; 28th November 2010 at 04:59 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Blufires View Post
    took me 6 seconds just now to load an image, I am on ADSL2+ and live in a regional area. If you live in a major city and have 100Mb/s, chances you have viruses on your computer or a leech on your network. Probably a combination.

People with dialup are living in the past. They likely own 504s and most probably aren't interested in undercar lighting or any "cat eye" era pugs.

Not sure if you were replying to me or not, but I was not the one who commented about 100Mb link. Yes I did mention alternative uploads sites, but really I couldn't give a **** if you load 100MB images.

Imageshack is slow, it did take me 13 seconds for your image to load (I'm on 20Mbps), flickr was just a suggestion because I think flickr offer excellent image hosting and are faster than imageshack. That said, I'm not an impatient twat like some people, and I really don't care who you host your images with.

The guy who I think deserves your comment is robmac, he seems a bit of a troll. They have only just started to roll out these connection speeds, and tbh no one else on this forum, most of whom are would still be on 20Mbps or less, seems to have a problem with your images (I certainly don't). I downloaded the image in about 12 seconds, I don't see what the big deal is. If robmac has 100Mbps, then it had to have been faster than 12 seconds. AS I said, a troll.

I think your project is ace, and the more lights the better.

Fellow Frogger!

@Max_wedge Thanks, I'm fairly happy with the work I did.

The devil eyes are starting to die though, i think the extra 1CM between the bumper and the bonnet is squashing them flat. Some of the LEDs are dim or out now

For the next stage of my lighting adventures, I was thinking of opening the lenses on my OEM lights and painting the surrounds (not in the reflectors) flat black, and I might replace the devil eyes and move them inside the lenses too. I've actually heard some suppliers in France have OEM lights with black surrounds, made by Valeo. I decided black was the way to go since I have the early model with black bump strips and trim. I think the stock reflector lights in black look better than those 3rd party projector sets all the english teenagers have, and would also save me $250. This is the closest to a pic of them I can find (it looks photochopped but not on the lights). http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/8544/206ou3.jpg

What do you guys think?

Thread Information