air bags.
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: air bags.

Tadpole

Default air bags.

I have a 2001 406 coupe. The air bags have to be renewed next year. What is the cheapest way to do this? Can I buy the airbags in France or the UK as I am going there in December. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew Bristow

Advertisement

Seriously, the airbags don't have to be renewed.

If your garage bloke is telling you that, I'll point you to one with more commonsense up the road in Thornleigh.

That said, there is absolutely no way you should be boarding a plane with pyrotechnic devices as personal luggage. You'd be risking a whole lot of spare time to think about it.

Here's an idiot for you to laugh at:

UFO

You will not be permitted to book in luggage or carry on pyrotechnic devices anyway.

Airbags need renewing? Why?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Fellow Frogger!

Based on the fact that his car is a 2001, I'd say he's following the 10 year replacement rule.
    1992 205 Si
    Current: shortened diff (4.4), short shifter, group N top mounts, rebuilt engine and box, solid engine mounts, 1.75" exhaust, strut brace, OMP wheel, GTI suspension & subframe front and rear, lowered 30mm front and rear, solid rear bush, Koni yellows, 306 XT front discs and calipers, ADR compliant braided brake lines, 14" rallye wheels, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec tyres, immobiliser

Tadpole

Default Air bags.

Thanks for the humour. I was not going to bring them home on a plane. I thought that if they weere cheaper in Europe I would arrange for them to be shipped to Australia. I thought it was compulsory to change them after 10 years. Am I wrong in thinking this?

No, it certainly isn't compulsory in NSW to change them after ten years.

If the airbag system warning light fails to light upon first turning the key, or fails to then extinguish after several seconds, it is a failure item on pink slip inspections.

There are all kinds of lovely tales about airbag service life; one pearler is about the fabric or stitches rotting.

As you were willing to spend on new airbags - what about putting similar money into any needed aspects of the car's underpinnings? These things all point towards improved safety and many such as rubber bushes, will have subtly degraded after ten years.

The car manufacturers will tell you it needs to be done. Both the Citroen and Renaults we have it down as a 10 year service item.
    It's up to the individual but I'd like to bet it is just the makers ensuring their ar$es are airbagged in case something happens and a 10yo+ car fails in an accident.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Peugeotlogic used to have a spiel about PSA having done some testing and now declaring a 15 yr life on them, but I can no longer find a "proper" reference to it.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

At the likely cost of doing it, I'd certainly rather spend money on the cars mechanical aspects. Then if I can afford I might consider it. Even then I'm a bit sceptical. I'd probably go for the 15 year mark rather than the 10. That's what I would do, but if you ask me what YOU should do, I'm saying you should replace them (so you can't sue me if you need them after 12 years and they don't work, okay?)

UFO

Ah, if the car is 10 years old, it has theoretically reached the end of its life in terms of spare parts supply guarantee from the manufacturer. Bit of a catch 22.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Bristow View Post
    Thanks for the humour. I was not going to bring them home on a plane. I thought that if they weere cheaper in Europe I would arrange for them to be shipped to Australia. I thought it was compulsory to change them after 10 years. Am I wrong in thinking this?
    Volvo - who were one of the first to install airbags originally had the replacement at 2 years, then they went to 5 years, then 10 years then "life of the car" provided they are not deployed. The reason for the changes was they weren't sure how long they would last and based on inspection they found that they did not "go off".

Its not compulsory to change airbags after 10 years and all you'll be doing is adding to PSA's profit. Save your money.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    Peugeotlogic used to have a spiel about PSA having done some testing and now declaring a 15 yr life on them, but I can no longer find a "proper" reference to it.
    "
    ó Pyrotechnics' Lifespan Increased ó
    Peugeot France has conducted extensive testing on aged airbags and seat belt pre-tensioners. As a result of these tests it was decided that the service life of these devises can be extended by 5 Years without compromising safety. At the time of the introduction of air bags and seat belt pre-tensioners in 1994 it was recommended for all pyrotechnic safety equipment to be replaced after a service life of 10 Years. Peugeot will now guarantee serviceability for 15 years. This new recommendation by the manufacturer applies to all Peugeot models."

http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop...h/newflash.htm

Tadpole

Thanks everyone that is what I wanted to know, The car is looked after very well. It is hard to know which is better looking the 406 or my DB7. Thanks again everyone.

Thread Information