Leaky 504 and rear screen resealing
  • Register
  • Help
    pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Default Leaky 504 and rear screen resealing

On the recent trip to Henty in NSW, the 504 started to let water in, in two places: one at the top centre of the rear windscreen seal, where it decided to come apart at the join. Well that's easily fixed, and Pugwreck has a good secondhand seal for me.

But it also let some water in at the front. Drips were falling from around the base of the rear vision mirror. I'm not sure where it's getting in. The plastic base of the roof-mounted aerial has a crack in it, but this has been there since I've had the car and has never let water in before. So any ideas?

Advertisement

I'll be taking the 504 to a local spray painter to get the rear screen seal replaced. Reason being that there is a small amount of rust under the seal near the lower left corner of the window. So this is a good opportunity to get that fixed up and repainted. Anything I should know about getting this job done?
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Fellow Frogger!

There is always more rust than you can see. Re the front screen, mine leaked there and it could be rust or just the seal hardening up- new seal, or rust repair or some windscreen sealant to stop the leak in the meantime. Neil

It's got to be the aerial base........

Quote Originally Posted by peujohn View Post
    On the recent trip to Henty in NSW, the 504 started to let water in, in two places: one at the top centre of the rear windscreen seal, where it decided to come apart at the join. Well that's easily fixed, and Pugwreck has a good secondhand seal for me.

But it also let some water in at the front. Drips were falling from around the base of the rear vision mirror. I'm not sure where it's getting in. The plastic base of the roof-mounted aerial has a crack in it, but this has been there since I've had the car and has never let water in before. So any ideas?

I'll be taking the 504 to a local spray painter to get the rear screen seal replaced. Reason being that there is a small amount of rust under the seal near the lower left corner of the window. So this is a good opportunity to get that fixed up and repainted. Anything I should know about getting this job done?
    I would take screen out myself. Get the rust repaired (so you see what was like and how it has been repaired)

Then call a mobile windscreen company - not a big brand name company- a privateer and let him refit it.

If the rubber were still reasonable pliable I would fit it myself!

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Picked up a good second-hand seal today from Pugwreck, so that's a start, anyway.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Thread Information