Peugeot 205 GTi - I need a little advice.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Peugeot 205 GTi - I need a little advice.

Howdy,

I just purchased a 89 Series 1.5 205 GTi. It's got reasonably high k's but I want to restore it to as higher standard as I can.

Anyway I will start the questions early.

The ride height - The rear is extremely low. I want to raise it by maybe 50mm. The front has had lowered springs put in but it isnt as low as the rear. I have a reasonable understanding of how to do this via the 205GTIDrivers.com article on how to do it, but I would like some more information of any hints or tips if possible as it's the first time I'm attempting something like this.

The brake pedal - I haven't driven a 205 GTi before this one, does anyone else have a lot of pedal travel before it takes hold? I'm not sure, I renewed the brake fluid and bled the brakes but yeah still a lot of travel.

Advertisement

Air filter - Is a K&N air filter worth it? Either way I'm probably going to have to order one in. I've been given two prices. One was just under $100 the other close to $200, both of them taking probably about a week or more to come in. Are they okay prices for one? Anyone know of a good place to order them through?

Anyway its got decent power for being reasonably high k's. Eventually I would like to get some Koni shocks all round for it and put my 16v engine in it.

Thank you.

I have a little travel, but not a huge amount. Once you go about 1cm down, it becomes fairly hard, and not at all spongy.

The stock intake of 205's are pretty good. You will probably end up losing power since you're sucking in hot air, and the stock one has a bit of a ram-air effect. You will however gain a nice induction growl. Up to you really. I don't think you'd lose too much hp, maybe 2 or 3. A 57i is 100 dollars on ebay.

Fellow Frogger!

When lowering the rear its all about setting the trailing arms at the same length after you have the torsion bars out. It used the mounts for the rear shocks as messurement points. It took be a little trial and error to get the height I wanted. Its a pretty easy job however. Took a day having never done it before.
    Lets just say we have a few pugs about!

Hmm I will have to be careful when readjusting the height.

I will be looking to just use the standard air intake with just the K&N e-9000 filter. I don't want to get a pod as you say, they will just get hot.

I have a K&N intake kit on mine and noticed no loss of power. They worth it just for the intake noise.

Chris

One issue I remember from my 205 days was the difference between K&N items for Aussie 205's with power steering, and UK 205's where a lot didn't have power steer. It might only affect the 57i kits though. Certainly the kit I ordered back in those days couldn't be made to fit my 205 and I ended up selling it to Adrian or someone from memory.

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Quote Originally Posted by N5GTi6 View Post
    One issue I remember from my 205 days was the difference between K&N items for Aussie 205's with power steering, and UK 205's where a lot didn't have power steer. It might only affect the 57i kits though. Certainly the kit I ordered back in those days couldn't be made to fit my 205 and I ended up selling it to Adrian or someone from memory.

Cheers

Justin
    Yep you are right, there are two versions of the 57i for 205's. Ebay has both.

I seem to remeber for some reason, that someone with a 205 (I think) was running a pod filter where the piping went down behind the engine, allowing to pod to be placed down low and suck up cooler air from down near the ground. I can't say whether or not this works though as it wasn't my idea and I haven't implemented it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bibendum View Post
    Howdy,

The brake pedal - I haven't driven a 205 GTi before this one, does anyone else have a lot of pedal travel before it takes hold? I'm not sure, I renewed the brake fluid and bled the brakes but yeah still a lot of travel.

Thank you.
    If there is that much travel in the brake pedal, check to see if the previous owner put larger calipers on. Larger caliper = more fluid movement thus more pedal travel. The disc size for a 1.9l is 247mm... Don't know about the 1.6l sorry. If the last owner went to the trouble of lowering and so on, this may be the case.

....could also be a master cylinder on the way out

What ever the case, your in for the ride of your life. I took on a young smartypants in a clubsport commadore the other day - I kept up with him on the straits but skinned him alive in the corners!

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by PugMonkey View Post
    What ever the case, your in for the ride of your life. I took on a young smartypants in a clubsport commadore the other day - I kept up with him on the straits but skinned him alive in the corners!
    After just getting out of the V8 scene I find this hilarious! I have copped a relentless grilling from all my mates since selling my SS and purchasing a 306 S16. That is until I suggest we go for a cruise through some twisties. All chicken the lot of them!
    Last edited by Adam.C; 10th November 2010 at 10:16 AM.

I wonder if the big V8 culture in OZ is partly due to our big open spaces, verses EU which is full of mountains.

I really dont want to own a V8 falcadore but they do sound fantastic and have their own place for sure.

I was called a fag yesterday by some V8 bozo, but returing fire would have been like getting angry at a chimp. I guess my car doesnt give away its power to weight ratio.

Fellow Frogger!

Being an '89 205 GTI it will have rear drums. The extra pedal travel could be the slack being taken up by incorrectly adjusted rear shoes. The handbrake should have about 3-4 clicks. If not, then thats probably your problem.

Gil

Yeah, will be delving into the brake issue I reckon, bit too much travel.

On the topic of adjusting rear ride height. should I replace the seal thats on the plates that fit into the rear beam where the anti-roll bar resides in. Also, whats the best way to get the torsion bars out, on wheeler dealers he used a puller hammer. Not sure if I can get my hands on one of them.

Puller hammer is the easiest just screw it in then pull til the bar comes out...

I cant actually think of any other way to get it out and i have only done it once back in the uk.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by gezza View Post
    Puller hammer is the easiest just screw it in then pull til the bar comes out...

I cant actually think of any other way to get it out and i have only done it once back in the uk.
    When I lowered mine I hammered a screwdriver into the adjusting screw on the other side, then back and forth to first free it up, then easily hit it through. If it has been lowered in the past it probably won't be seized or overly tight. Just make sure the arm isn't loaded and has plenty of wd40.

Thread Information