307 Key Fob - disassembly
  • Register
  • Help

Default 307 Key Fob - disassembly

Hi all,
    My key fob for the 307 has decided that the position to lock the key away is now an approximate 30 degree angle from the housing. I had a problem a month or two ago where the key locked itself in the housing and it took a while to get it back out again, only releasing itself after I dropped my keys on to the ground.
    Anyway, how to I disassemble the key fob so I can fix it up again so it all locks back how it should?
    Cheers,
    Sam.

Advertisement

Argh! They're bloody expensive to replace if I remember correctly... probably the kind of thing best left to the peugeot mechanics so if they stuff if up, you'll get a free new one...

Monsieur 405

Fellow Frogger!

Have you tried sourcing a replacement key fob on ebay? I just bought one for my 206 as it recently died. Only $6, delivery included.
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Quote Originally Posted by bad_karma View Post
    Have you tried sourcing a replacement key fob on ebay? I just bought one for my 206 as it recently died. Only $6, delivery included.
    Doesn't the 307 one have some RF transmitter for security reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur 405
    Argh! They're bloody expensive to replace if I remember correctly... probably the kind of thing best left to the peugeot mechanics so if they stuff if up, you'll get a free new one...
    Cost us $300 to get an extra one when we bought the car.

There is nothing wrong with the operation of the fob at all. It's just that the key won't lock away properly anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
    Hi all,
    My key fob for the 307 has decided that the position to lock the key away is now an approximate 30 degree angle from the housing. I had a problem a month or two ago where the key locked itself in the housing and it took a while to get it back out again, only releasing itself after I dropped my keys on to the ground.
    Anyway, how to I disassemble the key fob so I can fix it up again so it all locks back how it should?
    Cheers,
    Sam.
    Sam,

I have had my 307 Key Fob apart once to replace the battery. It is quite easy, just carefully and slowly prise it open at the base, adjacent to where the key ring goes through the hole. In the centre, there should be a groove to fit a screw driver.
    I am a bit pedantic and replace the small battery every two years

Cheers,

Rob
    2007 Peugeot 307 XSE

Thanks Rob. I did have a crack at it, but didn't put much force in to it through fear of breaking something. Is there anything I should look out for when opening it up? Nothing will shoot out and get lost somewhere, e.g. a spring?

Also, what size screwdriver did you use? A small one or a larger one that fits in the groove?

Quote Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
    Thanks Rob. I did have a crack at it, but didn't put much force in to it through fear of breaking something. Is there anything I should look out for when opening it up? Nothing will shoot out and get lost somewhere, e.g. a spring?

Also, what size screwdriver did you use? A small one or a larger one that fits in the groove?
    Sam,

I used a large blade screwdriver. Just lie the key fob on a table or bench, with the Peugeot Lion facing up (from memory). Slowly and gently prise the two halves apart. I was apprehensive about opening up my key fob to replace the battery, however nothing shot out when I prised it open.
    When you have sorted out the retracting key mechanism, it is a very simple matter of snapping the two halves back together.

Cheers,

Rob
    2007 Peugeot 307 XSE

Thread Information