Fitting Aftermarket Seats to a 505
  • Register
  • Help
    mlb

Default Fitting Aftermarket Seats to a 505

After the last hillclimb I decided the seats in the car are unsuitable for competition, so I'm looking at replacing them with something a bit better.

Has anyone had any luck fitting aftermarket seats in a 505? If so, how did you go about it. Any real problems or pitfalls?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Quote Originally Posted by mlb View Post
    After the last hillclimb I decided the seats in the car are unsuitable for competition, so I'm looking at replacing them with something a bit better.

Has anyone had any luck fitting aftermarket seats in a 505? If so, how did you go about it. Any real problems or pitfalls?

Thanks in advance

Matt
    Have you investigated fitting 505 GTI seats? They are very supportive and give good lateral hold.

They are probably quite easy to fit.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Have you investigated fitting 505 GTI seats? They are very supportive and give good lateral hold.

They are probably quite easy to fit.
    Hi Rob,

It's currently got GTi seats in it, and I agree they are great seats. I would recommend the change to anyone. They aer more comfortable and supportive than the standard tweed seats. Swapping them over can be done in under an hour in a lot of cases. I had a bit more difficulty that required a bit more effort, but got it done anyway. I put a thread up about it which must have been lost in the crash. I might see if I can drag it up for anyone interested.

The main problem I have with them is seating height. With my helmet on, I'm scraping the roof lining. Also sitting up so high feels strange now that I'm used to the Mi16. I think it's mainly due to the ample padding in the seat. If I could get something that was a bit thinner, it would solve the problem nicely. Unfortunately for that I may have to go for the aftermarket racerboi style.

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Hi Rob,

It's currently got GTi seats in it, and I agree they are great seats. I would recommend the change to anyone. They aer more comfortable and supportive than the standard tweed seats. Swapping them over can be done in under an hour in a lot of cases. I had a bit more difficulty that required a bit more effort, but got it done anyway. I put a thread up about it which must have been lost in the crash. I might see if I can drag it up for anyone interested.

The main problem I have with them is seating height. With my helmet on, I'm scraping the roof lining. Also sitting up so high feels strange now that I'm used to the Mi16. I think it's mainly due to the ample padding in the seat. If I could get something that was a bit thinner, it would solve the problem nicely. Unfortunately for that I may have to go for the aftermarket racerboi style.

Matt
    Have you removed the seat height spacers? 30mm or so from memory.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Have you removed the seat height spacers? 30mm or so from memory.
    They are still in there, and I did consider removing them, but I don't think they'll drop it down as far as I want.

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Removing the spacers makes a big difference to the "feel" of the driving position. Not sure if it's worth it for the headroom. I reckon it wouldn't even be 30mm, but it feels like more than that. Worth the effort to remove them. It feels like you're driving a bus with the spacers in.

The seats in my 504 are 505 Executive seats in blue velour. I reckon they are the pick of all 505 seats. I sat in a regular series 2 GTI recently and the seats are nowhere near as supportive as mine. Maybe have a look at some of these before you go aftermarket.

Otherwise, Mi16 seats seem to be popular to fit in other Pugs, I've seen them in 203s and a 504 ute. Maybe you could make them fit a 505. Great seats!
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Icon10 Laird arse!

I think it's mainly due to the ample padding in the seat. If I could get something that was a bit thinner, it would solve the problem nicely.
    Matt
    To me, that sounds suspiciously like you're admitting to having a fat arse.

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by peujohn View Post
    The seats in my 504 are 505 Executive seats in blue velour. I reckon they are the pick of all 505 seats.
    Couldn't agree more. The blue velour STi Exec seats are so much more supportive than any other 505 seat, and I'd say on par with the Mi16 seats. But they're much more comfortable than the Mi16 seats!
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Thread Information