Newbie and Questions
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Newbie and Questions

I will soon be without car, i currently own a 1977 Leyland Mini that i bought when i was 15 in feb 2005. unfortunately rust has finally got the better of her and it is a sad goodbye.
    I am now looking at buying a more modern car, more reliable and hopefully less breakdowns (although they were fun).
    I would like something small like the mini with a good field of vision so have been looking at 205 and 306 (two door). I'm leaning towards the 306 because it would appear they are more recent in manufacture. How much should i be expecting to pay for 306 in good condition (unmolested) and under 200,000km? Also are their any things with the 306 that seem to go wrong easily? do these cars rust much?

current baby, her name is Molly

Advertisement

As you can tell she has been a much loved playful car and i've enjoyed many adventures with her. My plan with the/a PUG is to keep her mostly standard maybe change wheels, suspension, do something classy with the interior. In other terms the mini was my clown costume, now i've grown up and i want a armani suit.

Thank You for any advice.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by andbat View Post
    I will soon be without car, i currently own a 1977 Leyland Mini that i bought when i was 15 in feb 2005. unfortunately rust has finally got the better of her and it is a sad goodbye.
    I am now looking at buying a more modern car, more reliable and hopefully less breakdowns (although they were fun).
    I would like something small like the mini with a good field of vision so have been looking at 205 and 306 (two door). I'm leaning towards the 306 because it would appear they are more recent in manufacture. How much should i be expecting to pay for 306 in good condition (unmolested) and under 200,000km? Also are their any things with the 306 that seem to go wrong easily? do these cars rust much?

current baby, her name is Molly

As you can tell she has been a much loved playful car and i've enjoyed many adventures with her. My plan with the/a PUG is to keep her mostly standard maybe change wheels, suspension, do something classy with the interior. In other terms the mini was my clown costume, now i've grown up and i want a armani suit.

Thank You for any advice.
    so you want a french car to complement your italian suit
    Rust probably no more than your mini - but quicker the car quicker the rust. there are plenty of 205/306's around here who will help you every step of the way
    enjoy
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

Generally 205s aren't especially rusty - unless a prior repair was poorly corrosion proofed. From the factory, about '87 onwards the shells of both Peugeot and CitroŽn are quite well protected.

A late manufacture 306 will see almost any part still available either ex-Peugeot or as a "pattern" (aftermarket) item. However I suggest it will be a considerable step up in operating costs when compared to a Mini.

I have a 1976 Mini! It was rolled and left to sit for about 10 years and then given to me, if you think yours is bad with rust well..... There isn't much roof left on mine........ or quarter panel or floor, or really anything The ports in the head are all blocked up with this stuff that is like welding slag, the valves are jammed open by it. Just to top it all off, most of the electrics don't work.

Hopeless thing, I have a dream to put the front subframe (inc engine ect) into a buggy but that's a project for another day. If I could find a decent shell I'd probably reshell it though.

As for Peugeots, there are several 306s around for very very cheap, their a good car, still easy to get parts for, reasonably modern, I'd certainly recommend one to someone in your position.

Thanks

Hayden

Andbat,

The best way to gauge current prices of 306's is to have a trawl through a Site like carsales.com.au

There are plenty of 306's on the market, however, like any second-hand car, I would recommend that you avoid a very high mileage example.

I have owned two 306 XT, 1995 & 1997 both from new. My personal biased opinion is that the Peugeot 306 is the BEST car that I have ever owned.

I only recently sold my 1995 306 to a friend and Fellow Frogger in Canberra. My 14 years of experience with the 306 has been excellent. Roadholding/handling is just brilliant, just like a Classic Mini (I have owned four Classic Mini's up until 1990). I found the reliability of the 306 to be excellent. The most important and essential service item is to make sure that the Timing Belt is replaced strictly at either 40,000 KM or 4 Year Intervals, whichever comes first.

Good Luck with your searching.

Rob
    Last edited by PeugeotRob; 8th November 2010 at 04:00 PM.
    2007 Peugeot 307 XSE

Tadpole

thank you everyone for the advice, i feel welcome into this community already.
    peugeot rob, as an owner of both what would be your comparison on operating costs? eg parts, oil, petrol, tyres? and did you ever have trouble with you minis or peugeots and rust?

Quote Originally Posted by andbat View Post
    thank you everyone for the advice, i feel welcome into this community already.
    peugeot rob, as an owner of both what would be your comparison on operating costs? eg parts, oil, petrol, tyres? and did you ever have trouble with you minis or peugeots and rust?
    Andbat, I would say that the servicing costs for the 306 are dearer than the Mini. Day to day, 306 fuel consumption is excellent. As a country driver, I consistently got around 35 miles per gallon around town, bearing in mind that both of my 306's were Automatic Transmission. A manual 306 will do even better. The best I achieved was 48 miles per gallon on a run between Canberra and Cooma, and my normal touring fuel consumption was in the low 40's (sorry, I am not properly metricated after all these years!). I do remember getting 50 miles per gallon touring in my Classic Mini! Tyre costs would be dearer than a Classic Mini. I replaced the tyres on my 1995 306XT three years ago at a cost of $425 for 4 new Michelin XM1.

My 306 N3 had steel wheels. The later 306 N5 had alloy wheels as standard, as did the up market 306 S16, GTi6 & XSI.

Absolutely no rust with both my 306. They were very well treated at the assemby stage.

My last Leyland Mini had a minor non-structural issue with rust in the front beaver panel under the bumper bar, a legacy of the Enfield "rust preventative treatment"! My earlier Zetland Mini's had no rust issues, which I attribute to the superior Rotodip process.

There is an excellent Sticky Thread in the Peugeot Forum titled 306 Timeline FAQ - well worth reading to help get yourself up to speed with a potted "mini history" of the 306 and all the different derivatives.

Cheers,

Rob
    Last edited by PeugeotRob; 8th November 2010 at 06:43 PM.
    2007 Peugeot 307 XSE

G'day,

As for the timing belt every 80,000km is more the go or four years definetely not 40 it will just send you broke LOL

Anyway if you want a 306 the almost compares with the mini depending on your budget I'd go for either a GTI6 or an s16! You can pick up a nice s16 with about 120,000 on it for about 6 grand!! I was driving one of these around today (first time) and it really was an abolute joy to drive so responsive so much power! and it stuck the road like mud to a blanket! I am now concidering buying one or even it!

Cheers Chris.

Thread Information