306 Fuel pump
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 306 Fuel pump

Tadpole

Default 306 Fuel pump

306 Cab running one day, next day no start (cranks OK).

Fuel pump isn't getting any volts. Fuel pump relay is operating. How do I know? I opened it up, one section pulls in and stays pulled in with ignition on, other section pulls in with ignition on then drops out after a couple of seconds, then pulls in when key turned to start. Checked with meter and battery relay works as it should. Relay operation appears OK

There are +12 Volts on the pins where there should be.

From the wiring diagram there should be a direct connection between a pin of the relay socket and the fuel pump 10 A fuse in the +12V distribution box, can't find any connection with a meter.

Advertisement

Does the feed from the relay to fuel pump fuse go through something else?

Am I missing something here?

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

marvin

Tadpole

Had similar issue a few months back with 306, started fine when I swapped cars round up driveway, then did the non start behavior.

Turned out the pump just decided enough was enough. Everyone assured me it wouldn't be the pump but I decided to start with that first (silly I know).

Anyway, changed pump, turned key and away she went...

Just did the same thing myself. Change the pump. Just be aware of the fuel lines.They are heat shrunk on. If you replace them with aftermarket make sure the product is up to scratch.

Tadpole

Thanks for the replies.

The connection between the fuel pump relay socket pin and the fuse was high resistance, not open circuit.

I grabbed the engine loom and gave it a yank and the connection came good then I spotted the connectors where the loom heads through the left wheel well and up to the fuse.

Undid the connectors, metered the circuit to the fuse and the other way to the relay, both OK. Cleaned the connectors with contact cleaner and plugged them in and out a few times. The circuit went to zero Ohms and the fuel pump now runs.

A fix that didn't cost me anything except a few hours. Considering I've worked on electronic gear for years and know connectors are the unreliable part I should have gone for the connector first up.

Thread Information