Ford rear shocks on a 604 ?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Ford rear shocks on a 604 ?

The rear shock absorbers on my 604 are worn out and these parts are suddenly really expensive in the UK.
    Anyone I was just looking at other stuff and spotted these.

Don't they look similar to 504/505/604 sedan ones?

The really interesting thing is that there is a Nivomat version which gives the Ford self levelling suspension which looks very useful for towing.

There are normally fitted to a Ford Sierra Estate (Wagon) like these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Sierra

Do you think they could be made to fit?

Advertisement
    Last edited by dieselnutjob; 6th November 2010 at 12:29 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

These are reasonably priced:
    Fronts
    http://cgi.ebay.fr/AMORTISSEURS-AV-N...item53e4818ad7
    Rears
    http://cgi.ebay.fr/PAIRE-AMORTISSEUR...item5640b38db2

I am certain you can match items for other cars like FORD (or Toyota Hilux fronts) to the rear of the 604, the problem is that they may not be suited to the spring rate.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

also length needs to be considered
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Fellow Frogger!

I suppose it's the fact they are available as Nivomats that interests me.
    Apparently the Nivomat equipped cars had softer springs though so I could well end up with it too high at the back.

Currently the car is a bit low at the back and probably needs new springs and shock absorbers.

Fellow Frogger!

I'd go with Thanos's advice, but if you want to do some DIY...

Obviously the lower mounting needs to be a bushing rather than a flat plate, but that could probably be adapted.

Most important (and almost certainly not going to be a problem) is that the extended length not be any longer than the standard shock -- if it is, the driveshafts become the top-out limit and the CVs will suffer. If the extended length is shorter the car will top out more easily, but probably not a really big deal.

Similarly, the compressed length can be shorter, but mustn't be longer. Might crack the boot floor after much bottoming (seized shocks certainly can).

Damping rate is the other thing, but probably not a huge concern. Realistically, probably none are great concerns with the sort of stately motoring that 604s are best at.

Have fun,

Rob.

Fellow Frogger!

A few months ago I put Sachs gas shocks onto the rear of my 504- great shocks. They should fit a 604 so find a website for Sachs shocks [Germany?] and see what you come up with. I think i paid about $80 each for them here. May be cheaper in Europe? Neil

I've read hilux ones fit, they'd be long enough and you can get them in many different stiffneses.

Thanks

Hayden

Fellow Frogger!

The Peugeot 406 rear shocks also have a similar arrangement (threaded pin on the top, bush at the bottom).
    Monroe make a "Max-Air" which is what I used call a load leveller for the 406 so I'll have to look at that too.
    These are the ones that you can pump up with an air line if you are towing which would be ideal.

Thread Information