306 S16 and GTi6 thread
  • Register
  • Help

View Poll Results: Which performance 306 do you own?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • GTI6

16 55.17%
  • S16

13 44.83%
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 306 S16 and GTi6 thread

Default 306 S16 and GTi6 thread

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd try to resurrect the thread post web-server crash.

Anything new with your rides?

I've been toying with supercharging the 6 lately. I only want around 220bhp but I don't want to have to thrash it or change any internals. Also been toying with buying a 147 GTA and just driving the GTi6 on the weekends.

Advertisement

Any thoughts?

-James

I've been thinking about the same thing.

Do I put in some big $ and upgrade the pug, or do I just sell it and go out and get a renault megane 250.

Highly tuned n/a engines are nice, but will it be worth the maintenance?

And my '6 is in such good condition. I've got a 2000 model with the side airbags and less than 90K on the clock.
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

Your '6 sounds nice there wouldn't be many around.

Yeah, I want to keep it NA but getting it to 220 is going to be hard. Been thinking ITBs maybe? But from what I've read the gains are minimal. Don't really think I can be bothered with hi-comp pistons as I'm not going to pay for a garage to install them and not sure how it will effect reliability.

I'm leaning towards just fitting an ECU and then leaving it. It already has a stage 1 inlet cam, cat back exhaust, cold air intake, quaife and fully adjustable coilovers at each corner. Might just keep it for the weekends when I feel like tackling some mountain passes or for the random track day.

I really like the Megan 250 and it would probably be my second choice after an Alfa. Almost definitely getting a 147 GTA for my daily unless Alfa decide to chuck the GTA engine into the Giulietta...

EDIT: just read that they're retiring the 3.2ltr V6 with the Alfa GT so I guess 147 wins by default.
    Last edited by ducksonetime; 5th November 2010 at 05:05 PM.

Im in the process of Supercharging my 16v. You will be getting well over 220 hp even using a very cheap unit like a second hand m45 from a Mini. Im going the Rotrex route which is more expensive but Im aiming at something a little different. Throttle bodies would see 220hp without having high maintenance costs, once you get past the 250 mark the $ go way up.

Cam
    popinandgettaa likes this.
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Fellow Frogger!

Just added my 6 to the tally

A supercharged 6 would be awesome fun but isn't the kit going to cost more than the car?

As for the Alfas, I'd be looking at an older less reliable model like a GTV6 or if you had to go a bit more modern a GTV v6. The later ones even came with your 3.2 L engine...

Cheers,
    Stu

Quote Originally Posted by Stu GTi6 View Post
    Just added my 6 to the tally

A supercharged 6 would be awesome fun but isn't the kit going to cost more than the car?

As for the Alfas, I'd be looking at an older less reliable model like a GTV6 or if you had to go a bit more modern a GTV v6. The later ones even came with your 3.2 L engine...

Cheers,
    Stu
    Yeah but having an unreliable GTV as my daily would suck and the 3.2's are pretty rare, especially without that stupid wing. Also, pretty impractical for a daily.

147 is still at the top of my list. Hyper hatch ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    Im in the process of Supercharging my 16v. You will be getting well over 220 hp even using a very cheap unit like a second hand m45 from a Mini. Im going the Rotrex route which is more expensive but Im aiming at something a little different. Throttle bodies would see 220hp without having high maintenance costs, once you get past the 250 mark the $ go way up.

Cam
    Won't the power delivery from ITBs be a lot peakier than SC? Kit's are comparible in price.

Anyway decided against both of them... can't be bothered with engineers or getting chopped by the EPA.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by ducksonetime View Post
    Yeah but having an unreliable GTV as my daily would suck and the 3.2's are pretty rare, especially without that stupid wing. Also, pretty impractical for a daily.

147 is still at the top of my list. Hyper hatch ftw.
    Sorry, I was forgetting you were going to use the Alfa as your daily... I've been thinking of doing it the other way around but I think that's probably a little while off.

I quite like the wing though. A GTV v6 with the cup body kit is one of the best looking cars on the road in my opinion. Each to their own I suppose.

I agree, minus the wing

The '6 has such a fluid ride but very well controlled as stock car.....yes sometimes I wish there would be wee bit more power, but so far I haven't come across anything NA that has such smooth linear power output.

I would keep it stock internals and get something more crazy on the side :wink:
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

-Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

ITB wont make the power peaky. Get it mapped right with the right cams and 220hp on ITBs would fly.

Cam
    ducksonetime likes this.
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    ITB wont make the power peaky. Get it mapped right with the right cams and 220hp on ITBs would fly.

Cam
    I'd do it just for the sound - Yum.

2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Anyone know if the S16s have a stock anti roll bar / sway bar? I have an aftermarket one (similar to this one) that I want to remove but I don't know if it's an upgrade from the original or just an addition, i.e. can i just take it off?

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by figs View Post
    Anyone know if the S16s have a stock anti roll bar / sway bar? I have an aftermarket one (similar to this one) that I want to remove but I don't know if it's an upgrade from the original or just an addition, i.e. can i just take it off?
    Your car has a front sway bar. This is a lower chassis brace, not a sway bar. It stiffens the front of your car. I'd leave it or sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobomacho View Post
    Your car has a front sway bar. This is a lower chassis brace, not a sway bar. It stiffens the front of your car. I'd leave it or sell it.
    The aftermarket one is already on there. I just want to know if it's safe to remove it without refitting some stock part.

Fellow Frogger!

Hey Gil, sorry mate I forget to give you an update on my car....

It hasn't been driven for about a week but it did a bit of milage in the two weeks before (which included a bit of a blast ) and it doesn't seem to be losing any coolant. Obviously the lifters are still making a racket though.

You got the suspension in the 205 yet?

Cheers,
    Stu

Good to be back...Got a new name! Haha was taken before.

James this is a French car thread...

Dom

Tadpole

Default A new 'GTI 6'

Hello

What a crap thing to happen to this forum ...

I've sold my car and got something new--It hasn't yet done 1000km. Bought the DSG so my wife can drive it.

Cars have moved on a bit in 12 years. Spectacularly fun.

My friend now has the Pug--so I can visit/drive it if I feel nostalgic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 306 S16 and GTi6 thread-img_1819-small.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by figs View Post
    The aftermarket one is already on there. I just want to know if it's safe to remove it without refitting some stock part.
    Only if you want to go around corners in the most comedic way possible. I'd just leave it.

Tadpole

Can anybody tell me if the 4 bolt stud pattern on the 306 is unique to Peugeot or if there is a universal 4 bolt pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam.C View Post
    Can anybody tell me if the 4 bolt stud pattern on the 306 is unique to Peugeot or if there is a universal 4 bolt pattern?
    4x108 PCD (the 306 bolt pattern) is not uncommon, but it's hard to find wheels in the right offset. Plenty of wheels can fit but would require spacers, which is, at least in Victoria, illegal.

Tadpole

Ok well I have aftermarket wheels that I want to sell. Will the fact they're on a Peugeot mean they won't go on other cars such as Jap 4 bangers? If so, it greatly reduces my chances of getting rid of them.

Default refurbished spoiler

Good idea getting the Six thread going again.
    I finally got my rear spoiler refurbished by my panelbeater Bro. It had gone grey/white so we removed it and I rubbed it back smooth with very fine wet and dry paper. Marty put and undercoat on with an additive to soften and penetrate the plastirubber and then we finished with a few coats of 2 pak.
    twasn't that clean when I took the photo but looks fine.

GTI6 Spolier by dhaw44, on Flickr
    My B pillars with their plastic matte coat were bubbling and peeling so I warmed them with a heat gut at 12 inches until I could slowly peel them off. Some prepsol to remove the adhesive and the underneath was prisine duco so I just left em clean.

B Pillar by dhaw44, on Flickr
    If you look at the airflow through a 306 engine bay its pretty useless. No wonder they run hot in Australian conditions. The air has to go thru or around the air cond condenser and the radiator and the front of the car is pretty well block in with plastic, unlike the new wide mouth frogs. The back of the bay is rubber sealed at the top edge against water. I was thinking of cutting a hole and putting a body coloured scoop on such as
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/GENUINE-SAAS-...item3a5ffe7a04

398318365_o by dhaw44, on Flickr
    What do you think.. practically will it do anything???

Tadpole

Hi all.

Trying to hunt down a water union for my S16 but I'm not having any luck. It is the one that connects on to the bottom radiator hose, has 3 smaller hoses coming off it and bolts on to the block. Tried pretty much all of the Victorian wreckers and some of the NSW ones but still no luck! And ideas????

Quote Originally Posted by dhaw View Post
    What do you think.. practically will it do anything???
    306's never run hot if the cooling system is up to scratch.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information