2 litre Mi16 problem (continued)
  • Register
  • Help

Default 2 litre Mi16 problem (continued)

G'day all,

As some may remember my mi16 had a miss fire problem.

Here's some background on the car! Its the 2 liter mi16 (xu10 engine) before i bought it there was suppost to have been 8 grand spent on the engine (and i have all the receipts)

Just after i bought it, there was a miss fire which went from 'live with able' to breaking down at intesections. So assuming it was an electrical fault i changed so many bits I couldn't believe and the problem only got worse i was running out of ideas!

It then started running on the 3 cylinders all the time. Gave it a compression test and found cylinder 1 (from the bellhousing end) was down on compression!

So off came the head!
    I found that to be the worst job i've ever done on a car! I put fuel in the chambers on the head in the head and it leaked out very fast so I think i found my problem. Also when i put fuel in the cylinders it took most of the day to all leak passed the rings, so assumed the rings where fine. I then spent about 400 bucks getting the head fixed, then i put it back together. The car now has a very impressive amount of power and torque.

Now my problem is that it TICKS

I dont know where from my uncle suggests its from the bottom end. but they spent 8 grand on the bottom (because the didn't touch the top end)

• Could the lifters not be up to pressure (its been about 1000 kms)?
    • Could the oil feed to the lifters be blocked (I did blow it out and make sure all the connections where good)?
    • Could there be something in the bottom end that sounds like lifters?
    Please, any help is sort after

Cheers Chris

Advertisement

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

it does sound like a lifter problem

peter T is the man to talk to about these things as he knows them inside out

he did have on his site detailed pics of what to do with the lifters as well but for the life of me i can't remember the addy of the site
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Default tick

Hi,

Could be an exhaust manifold leak. That does sound like a tick noise. Can you smell exhaust in the cabin by any chance? You can feel around the manifold with your hand (if you can get your hand down there!) when the car is cold and is just started. Maybe you can feel for a leak that way.

James

1000+ Posts

Default depends on

how loud a tick your hearing could be the injecters , get a small funnel stick a peace of hose on it hold the funnel to your ear whilst shifting the end of the hose about in on the engine ,might narrow down were the noise is coming from PUGS

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post
    it does sound like a lifter problem

peter T is the man to talk to about these things as he knows them inside out

he did have on his site detailed pics of what to do with the lifters as well but for the life of me i can't remember the addy of the site
    Some extra infomation about the noice is that it does it under hard acceleration and cruising at about 3,500 rpm. It doesn't do it when deccelerating or accelarating on a freeway to maintain or decrease speed.

Thanks for that I'll search around the net and see if i can find his site!
    I was told to blead the lifters out with a bolt and a vice to get some play in it, does this sound right?

Quote Originally Posted by James S View Post
    Hi,

Could be an exhaust manifold leak. That does sound like a tick noise. Can you smell exhaust in the cabin by any chance? You can feel around the manifold with your hand (if you can get your hand down there!) when the car is cold and is just started. Maybe you can feel for a leak that way.

James
    James,

I thought it could be the exhaust so I checked the flange to find it was leaking so i put some extra washes in there and it doesn't leak anymore

Quote Originally Posted by pugwash View Post
    how loud a tick your hearing could be the injecters , get a small funnel stick a peace of hose on it hold the funnel to your ear whilst shifting the end of the hose about in on the engine ,might narrow down were the noise is coming from PUGS
    PUGS i'll definetly try the funnel trick.
    During my searching for the original problem i changed all the injectors for series one ones and it didnt make any funny noices then!

The engine is stuffed

I can't believe that this cars engine was rebuilt, they did a pathetic job of it. It was a rediculous thing to ask 8 grand to rebuild an engine and do a shoddy job of it!
    Its now getting a second hand engine fitted to it! Everyone i have showed it to has decicided the noice is a brocken piston! Which where replaced with the rebuild!!!

Moral of this story
    DONT GO TO DEALERS! I haven't seen one that isn't completely incompetent.

Now that i got that of my chest whats the expected life time of a late mi16/s16 engine? The one going in has done about 190,000kms

1000+ Posts

Really sorry to hear that .

I was going to suggest that it could very well be a big-end bearing. Sounds like it's not, so the following story is irrelevant!

We had a V6 Magna to which we fitted a re-conditioned engine. Engine started using coolant soon after fitting . Eventually cracked head was diagnosed, and reconditioner agreed to provide replacement. However immediately after local mechanic had fitted new head, car made funny clattery noise! Main & big-end bearings stuffed . Reconditioner refused warranty cover, as bearings had been OK for two years and "they could only go like that if the engine was run low on oil". But engine used coolant not oil . Only person who could have run it without oil was the mechanic, but of course they also refused to accept responsibility.

So unfortunately it's not only the dealers who can give you grief.

Cheers

Alec

WOW that story reminds me of my whole experience with the mi16!!
    I dont understand how my series one mi16's engine was fine for 510,000 km before the poor old girl was written off, but the series 2 cant last 30,000?

That sucks man.
    Back in my home town an old bloke had a Beautiful S2 Mi16, he had the engine rebuilt by (wont name them ) a dealer. The final bill was.........11k !!! The guy loved the car soo much, payed the bill and just pootles around in it. Im my personal experience, EVERY peugeot dealer I took my car too Did a SHIT job and always over charged. I was talking to a customer of mine today who has a GTi6. I was stoked and started chatting about it, hes just had the clutch changed and was charges 945$ JUST for the clutch assembly. Plus the labor, it was 2100$. I bought a GTi6 clutch 2 months ago for a project and paid 330$ for the SAME unit. Its terrible.
    Anyway, rant over...
    What are you doing with the old donk??

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Quote Originally Posted by cam85 View Post
    That sucks man.
    Back in my home town an old bloke had a Beautiful S2 Mi16, he had the engine rebuilt by (wont name them ) a dealer. The final bill was.........11k !!! The guy loved the car soo much, payed the bill and just pootles around in it. Im my personal experience, EVERY peugeot dealer I took my car too Did a SHIT job and always over charged. I was talking to a customer of mine today who has a GTi6. I was stoked and started chatting about it, hes just had the clutch changed and was charges 945$ JUST for the clutch assembly. Plus the labor, it was 2100$. I bought a GTi6 clutch 2 months ago for a project and paid 330$ for the SAME unit. Its terrible.
    Anyway, rant over...
    What are you doing with the old donk??

Cam
    WOW thats an expensive clutch, and people wonder why you get so many good cars going through the wreckers!

Anyway when i get the old engine back i'm gunna pull the head off and see what went wrong with it! Its suspected to be a brocken piston!

Thread Information