205 Si rally project
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 91
  1. #1
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,259

    Default 205 Si rally project

    First stage is done and the cage is installed, photos attached, thanks Matt and Rob.

    The idea is to build the car in stages and try not to have it off the road for any great length of time, for instance the wiring will be upgraded and simplified under the bonnet but I see no need to change anything for the rest of the car.
    I have taken out around 50kg (not including the passengers seat, around 15kg more) and still have a little to go, air con compressor and condensor, lightweight starter and smaller battery (mounted in the back) are the main things left. The radiator fans are pretty heavy maybe fit a single lighter fan.
    The cage must be pretty light, I felt a big difference with the 50kg plus seat gone and it doesn't seem to have changed much with the cage in.
    The cage will be something less than $2000 but haven't got the bill yet.
    Graham

    Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 Si rally project-dsc04841_1.jpg   205 Si rally project-dsc04842_1.jpg   205 Si rally project-dsc04843_1.jpg   205 Si rally project-dsc04844_1.jpg   205 Si rally project-dsc04845_1.jpg  
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 2nd November 2010 at 12:49 PM.

  2. #2
    mlb
    mlb is offline
    Voted Most Popular mlb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Graham,

    You can send them through to me and I can reduce them up if you want.

    Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts robmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne / Caulfield
    Posts
    19,211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    First stage is done and the cage is installed, I have photos but still haven't been able to reduce these to 100kb, only if I want to send them in an email, can someone help please.
    Graham
    Hi Graham,

    Download and install irfanview a freeware util.

    Right click image and choose "open with irfanview"

    From top menu select Image then resize-resample

    From then it's follow your nose to resize- 1024 x576 is usually around 100k.

    Then file/ save as with a different file name.

    Really quick and easy, but beware of over writing original file!

    cheers

    Rob

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! zac505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    226

    Default

    What sort of suspension mods have you made?

  5. #5
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zac505 View Post
    What sort of suspension mods have you made?
    Nothing as yet, the roll cage was the first step.
    I do like the Si set up though and the car handled exremely well when I drove it on forestry roads when organising a rally recently. The softer suspension gives better grip on slippery surfaces and the back wheels stay on the road better. On the rough stuff it felt a lot better than the Pajero that we checked the route in.
    You can buy handling kits (bushes) for this suspension as there is a 1.4 rally series in the UK.
    Main problem that I can see is that the suspension may bottom out more on holes and ruts, due to softer spring rates.
    Anyway, I'll give it a go and if no good simply fit the GTi subframe and rear beam.
    It is getting an XU9J2 from an early 405, this will be the next major step but at the moment I'm preparing a 404 to compete in the Classic Outback Trial starting in Forbes on the 21st.
    Graham

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts parry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    First stage is done and the cage is installed, photos attached, thanks Matt and Rob.

    The idea is to build the car in stages and try not to have it off the road for any great length of time, for instance the wiring will be upgraded and simplified under the bonnet but I see no need to change anything for the rest of the car.
    I have taken out around 50kg (not including the passengers seat, around 15kg more) and still have a little to go, air con compressor and condensor, lightweight starter and smaller battery (mounted in the back) are the main things left. The radiator fans are pretty heavy maybe fit a single lighter fan.
    The cage must be pretty light, I felt a big difference with the 50kg plus seat gone and it doesn't seem to have changed much with the cage in.
    The cage will be something less than $2000 but haven't got the bill yet.
    Graham
    Graham, more details on the lightweight starter please...
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

    PBs:

    Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:54 (8v) 1:48 (16V)
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

  7. #7
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parry View Post
    Graham, more details on the lightweight starter please...
    A lot of Peugeots, particularly 306s, have these starters.
    They are geared and possibly have ceramic magnets as they weigh a lot less.
    Apparently they are used on the diesels as well, amazing considering the size of the old 504 diesel starters.
    Graham

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts Isis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    Great project Graham, lots of photos thanks!

    decent cage there, interesting about the weight loss effects too.

    Isis

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger! zac505's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    226

    Default

    Are the bushes available in Aus or are they an ebay item?

  10. #10
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zac505 View Post
    Are the bushes available in Aus or are they an ebay item?
    NO market here, UK via Ebay.
    Graham

  11. #11
    1000+ Posts Isis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,100

    Default

    Graham, I agree your cage looks very well fitted at the front - might have to do the same but it looks like I might have to remover the roof lining to get it tucked up nicely.

    Isis

  12. #12
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Graham, I agree your cage looks very well fitted at the front - might have to do the same but it looks like I might have to remover the roof lining to get it tucked up nicely.

    Isis
    Yes, my roof lining is removed, not an issue for a competition car.
    Graham.

  13. #13
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,259

    Default Cage cost

    Paid for the cage today, closer to $1500 than $2000 so very pleased about that.
    Graham

  14. #14
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,259

    Default Brakes

    Went to fit a set of 405 brakes that I had lying about.
    Discs fitted perfectly but the calipers were the wrong offset, damn!
    I find this a bit strange as I believe GTI6/307 brakes bolt up OK to the Si hubs.
    Oh well, I'll just fit base model 306 brakes. I eventually found such a car at Imlach's (Centre Rd), not the tidiest wrecking yard, and unbolted the brakes.
    These turned out to be have brand new unused rotors and pads.
    How did this come about? It had had a front ender so I'm thinking they installed the new rotors and pads, forgot to pump the pedal to get the pads to again contact the discs, then ran into the back of someone when the pedal went to the floor?
    Anyway, good value for me at $112 the lot and they fit perfectly except that the 13 inch rims touch the calipers, a 2mm spacer would fix this if I decide to run on the 13 inch tyres the Excel boys use.
    Graham

  15. #15
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Maldon
    Posts
    153

    Default Good one Graham!

    Looking forward to matching it in the bush!

    Cheers, Fred

  16. #16
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    222
    1992 205 Si
    Current: shortened diff (4.4), short shifter, group N top mounts, rebuilt engine and box, solid engine mounts, 1.75" exhaust, strut brace, OMP wheel, GTI suspension & subframe front and rear, lowered 30mm front and rear, solid rear bush, Koni yellows, 306 XT front discs and calipers, ADR compliant braided brake lines, 14" rallye wheels, Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec tyres, immobiliser

  17. #17
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Langers View Post
    I won't be venturing on the bitumen where most of these crashes seem to occuring.
    I have fitted Koni yellow front struts and GTi rear shockers in the past few days.
    I have ordered (from the UK) strut tower reinforcement plates, handling kit (bushes) for Si front suspension, group N strut tops.
    I reckon the softer suspension will work well on dirt, particulary at the rear which will have a fair bit more travel than the GTi set up.
    If it doesn't then I'll have to fit the GTi K-frame and rear beam.
    Hopefully I can get started on the XU9J2 engine soon.
    Unexpectaedly I spend the last two days navigating in a Mitsubshi Cybourg (ex Molly Taylor) in the Victorian round of the ARC.
    I turned up to spectate and got co-erced into navigating for a guy whose co driver had pulled out.
    Good experience with another type of FWD, revved to 8400 and cruised on the highway at 6000!
    Graham

  18. #18
    mlb
    mlb is offline
    Voted Most Popular mlb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Unexpectaedly I spend the last two days navigating in a Mitsubshi Cybourg (ex Molly Taylor) in the Victorian round of the ARC.
    I turned up to spectate and got co-erced into navigating for a guy whose co driver had pulled out.
    Good experience with another type of FWD, revved to 8400 and cruised on the highway at 6000!
    Graham
    Ah so that was you. I noticed a Wallis in the times and wondered momentarily if it was you. Then thought 'nah, that wouldnt be Graham'

    Looks like i was wrong - again.

    BTW the co-driver that pulled out is a mate of mine. Bloody small world

    Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

  19. #19
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mlb View Post
    Ah so that was you. I noticed a Wallis in the times and wondered momentarily if it was you. Then thought 'nah, that wouldnt be Graham'

    Looks like i was wrong - again.

    BTW the co-driver that pulled out is a mate of mine. Bloody small world

    Matt
    Ask him why he pulled out, Barry said it was because he took one look at the twisty Victorian roads and became nervous.
    Barry drove OK on the fast stuff but was slow in the tight corners, just didn't want to know about the handbrake and applied the power too late.
    We did get some 205 style power on oversteer in the wet on Saturday though.
    Realistically the only cars we could beat were the Hyundai i30 and the Commodore, all the rest except for the works supported Honda were 4wd turbos.
    A bit quicker on those tight corners would have seen us beat the Commodore but probably not the Hyundai Diesel, 400nm of torque I believe!
    Graham

  20. #20
    mlb
    mlb is offline
    Voted Most Popular mlb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Ask him why he pulled out, Barry said it was because he took one look at the twisty Victorian roads and became nervous.
    Barry drove OK on the fast stuff but was slow in the tight corners, just didn't want to know about the handbrake and applied the power too late.
    We did get some 205 style power on oversteer in the wet on Saturday though.
    Realistically the only cars we could beat were the Hyundai i30 and the Commodore, all the rest except for the works supported Honda were 4wd turbos.
    A bit quicker on those tight corners would have seen us beat the Commodore but probably not the Hyundai Diesel, 400nm of torque I believe!
    Graham
    I know why he pulled out, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't for that reason. The Victorian roads don't bother him considering he just won Classic in Targa High Country

    Either way it would have been a good event. I may even be there myself next year
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

  21. #21
    1000+ Posts bluey504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dandenong Vic
    Posts
    1,256

    Default Need a service crew?

    Matt if you come over I'll toss my hat into the ring to help service. 12 months should give me enough time to rack up enough brownie points with SWMBO for a leave pass!
    Have a wee bit of experience at the task as that's where I started my motorsport career doing; VRC's, ARC's and a couple of WRC's.
    Then, amongst it all, had a secondary career as a co-driver/navigator. Never got to do WRC's but ticked all the other boxes and got some good results at the same time.
    Give me a PM if you need help and can even supply two willing helpers, the step sons.
    Are you going to Rally the Mazda or something more French?
    Cheers,
    Bluey
    p.s. Graham I'm following the 205 Si with interest as it's something the boys could aspire to.

  22. #22
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluey504 View Post
    Matt if you come over I'll toss my hat into the ring to help service. 12 months should give me enough time to rack up enough brownie points with SWMBO for a leave pass!
    Have a wee bit of experience at the task as that's where I started my motorsport career doing; VRC's, ARC's and a couple of WRC's.
    Then, amongst it all, had a secondary career as a co-driver/navigator. Never got to do WRC's but ticked all the other boxes and got some good results at the same time.
    Give me a PM if you need help and can even supply two willing helpers, the step sons.
    Are you going to Rally the Mazda or something more French?
    Cheers,
    Bluey
    p.s. Graham I'm following the 205 Si with interest as it's something the boys could aspire to.
    Thanks Brendan, the work on the Si takes a rest for a week or two while the parts from the UK arrive.
    With the 1.9 fitted it will definitely have more useful grunt out of corners than the Mirage Cybourg although won't be as good at higher speeds. Better get an Si soon, they are being thrown out at an incredible rate at the moment.

    I leave for Forbes on Friday for the Classic Outback Trial in a 404.
    Two other Peugeots, both 504s, have been entered, Rally from Aussiefrogs and another from Ballarat.
    Graham

  23. #23
    mlb
    mlb is offline
    Voted Most Popular mlb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Devonport, Tasmania
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluey504 View Post
    Matt if you come over I'll toss my hat into the ring to help service. 12 months should give me enough time to rack up enough brownie points with SWMBO for a leave pass!
    Have a wee bit of experience at the task as that's where I started my motorsport career doing; VRC's, ARC's and a couple of WRC's.
    Then, amongst it all, had a secondary career as a co-driver/navigator. Never got to do WRC's but ticked all the other boxes and got some good results at the same time.
    Give me a PM if you need help and can even supply two willing helpers, the step sons.
    Are you going to Rally the Mazda or something more French?
    Cheers,
    Bluey
    p.s. Graham I'm following the 205 Si with interest as it's something the boys could aspire to.
    Thanks for the offer Bluey. I'll certainly keep it in mind when the time comes.

    As for the car, time will tell. One of the guys down here is planning on doing the full ARC season in his WRX, so I've thrown my hat in the ring there. I'm not holding my breath but it would be great if it comes off and doesn't clash with any TRS rounds. Failing that I might look at heading over with my usual driver, just as a great way to finish off the year. Not sure about the car though as he's looking at swapping the 323 for an Evo 3. There's a few around that he's looking at, including an ex-Pedder's car. So next season is starting to look very exciting already

    Sorry for hijacking the thread Graham. Looking forward to see how it all ends up.

    Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

  24. #24
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    9,259

    Default Bits arrived from UK

    While I was away on the Classic Outback Trial some bits and pieces arrived from TI Motorsport in the UK.

    These are Group N strut top rubbers, a front suspension bush kit suitable for Si, and a pair of strut tower reinforcement plates. The plates are needed if you are going to compete on dirt as I belled the strut tower on my UK GTi driving over a rock at an Autocross and Casnell did this in a much bigger way on the Red Centre to Gold Coast event so I got a set for him as well.
    Still waiting for a set of rear beam phospher bronze bushes to replace the bearings in the rear beam, these are coming (I hope) from TRI in France.
    Graham
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 Si rally project-strut-bits.jpg  

  25. #25
    1000+ Posts PugMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Went to fit a set of 405 brakes that I had lying about.
    Discs fitted perfectly but the calipers were the wrong offset, damn!
    I find this a bit strange as I believe GTI6/307 brakes bolt up OK to the Si hubs.
    Oh well, I'll just fit base model 306 brakes. I eventually found such a car at Imlach's (Centre Rd), not the tidiest wrecking yard, and unbolted the brakes.
    Huh? ...whats this? ...Bigger brakes?? With all due respect, you are the first one on this forum to say "why does everyone want bigger brakes?" - "the 205 brakes are adequate", your wasting your money"

    I just don't get you and David!
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •