'92 405 Mi16 Headlight Adjuster
  • Help

'92 405 Mi16 Headlight Adjuster

Miss Cathie's Mi16 has that clever little headlight adjuster on the RH side of the steering wheel. It has never worked since we had the car. The adjuster itself is stiff, and the cables seem to be disconnected from the headlights anyway.

I seem to remember somebody telling me that these were disconnected on the Australian spec 405s - does anybody know if this is true? Is it easy and/or possible to repair this little beastie so that it works? Is the job worth doing anyway???

Any advice much apppreciated.

Regards,
    John Wiltshire

Advertisement

Head light adjuster is surprisingly useful. Had it on my old Renault 19. Also my Dad had it on his Mi16, never had any problems with it.
    "Indecision is the key to flexibility" Anon.

Paul,

Thanks for this info! Looks like I can add another Peugeot job to my list...

Cheers,
    John

John,
    Wish I only had a headlight adjuster to worry about. I just had to put in a new clutch
    "Indecision is the key to flexibility" Anon.

John,

The headlight beam adjust on my 92 405 S isn't working either. Keep us informed on how the job goes, yeah?

Thanks
    Jez
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

Default How does it work?????

While searching for info on headlight adjusters in preparatoin for posting a new thread I found this one so I will re-activate it and hope..

Question is how does the system fitted to early 405s work?? Cable? Hydraulic? Some other mechanism?

The one on the recently purchased 89 405 can be turned with some effort but there is lots of resistance and nothing happens at the headlights. Is there anything that can be pulled apart and fixed in these systems or do we just have to replace the whole system?

Seems to me that this is an essential piece of equipment on FWD pugs if you drive on country roads with varying loads since to get best performance out of your lights you have to have them well aimed and the difference between well aimed headlights and dazzling other drivers is only a degree or two and loads really do change the body levels on these cars.

Hoping someone who has been down this path before me - and there must be lots of you out there - can provide some useful advice.

Cheers
    Trevor Hoare
    Boolarra Vic

'95 405Mi16 - what a great car! ; 89 405 ( for my daughter )
    previously 205Si, 504Ti, HR wagon with R16 seats, R16, R10, VW kombi, VW passat, HQ panel van, FB panelvan, Rover'49 P3 4-light

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by trevh
    While searching for info on headlight adjusters in preparatoin for posting a new thread I found this one so I will re-activate it and hope..

Question is how does the system fitted to early 405s work?? Cable? Hydraulic? Some other mechanism?

The one on the recently purchased 89 405 can be turned with some effort but there is lots of resistance and nothing happens at the headlights. Is there anything that can be pulled apart and fixed in these systems or do we just have to replace the whole system?

Seems to me that this is an essential piece of equipment on FWD pugs if you drive on country roads with varying loads since to get best performance out of your lights you have to have them well aimed and the difference between well aimed headlights and dazzling other drivers is only a degree or two and loads really do change the body levels on these cars.

Hoping someone who has been down this path before me - and there must be lots of you out there - can provide some useful advice.

Cheers
    Trev,

Here is a more recent thread on this subject if you haven't come across it already.

Mi16 headlights

Hope this helps

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Default Thanks

thanks for that Matt - I found it myself this evening before coming here. I did a search on "headlight adjusters " and this looked like the most appropriate thread.

Looks like I will just have to remove the existing system and see what I can make of it with a little diagnostic disassembly. It does not work now so I will be no worse off if it never works again...

As I have said on other headlight threads and here I reckon the ability to adjust is a crucial safety item on our Front wheel drive pugs because of the change in attitude as the car is loaded up.... and the need to have well aimed headlights to get optimum performance out of them. Maybe I can figure out some way of fixing/rigging some kind of adjustment even if it is just a stepped wedge like on the '93 205Si

cheers
    Trevor Hoare
    Boolarra Vic

'95 405Mi16 - what a great car! ; 89 405 ( for my daughter )
    previously 205Si, 504Ti, HR wagon with R16 seats, R16, R10, VW kombi, VW passat, HQ panel van, FB panelvan, Rover'49 P3 4-light

Thread Information