engine switches off when clutch is pressed
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

engine switches off when clutch is pressed

98 306 Xsi manual

Advertisement

after driving at speed and i slow down, when i press on the clutch and the rpm goes down, it always (well sometimes) drops rapidly to below what looks like 500rpm and then it will suddenly jump back up to just over 1000 and then finally settle down at 800 or whataver it idles at. Is this normal? the engine has cut out a few times, im guessing when it dips beliw the 500 mark. It seems to do it more when the aircon is turned on the car engine hasn't warmed up. What would cause this? is more info needed?

We had a similar thing happen to ours a few times. Would stall, but hasn't happened for ages. Even tried to get them to fix it at service but could find no fault.

Has it had a service lately?

Alright, this sounds familiar!

I have not had a 306 but this did happen to me in my 205GTi. A major problem with the 205's is with the valve stem seals leak oil into the combustion chamber and thus this ends up coating the 'oxy sensor' with thick carbon and eventually rendering it useless. The same thing happened to me, you would be driving on the expressway (80kmh) and took an off ramp leading to a set of lights and the car would stall on coming to a stop.

Due to you noticing the stall occurs more with the aircon on, it is only due to the extra load the engine has to cope with when the compressor is engaged.

Sounds like either you have a bad oxy sensor or your spark plugs are fouled. Spark plugs are much cheaper so I hope it is this for you!!

Good luck!
    Stu G
    "Take a Lion through a corner - FAST"

Current Fleet;
    2010 308 XSE HDi SW [Vapour Grey]
    2010 VW GOLF GTI [Carbon Steel Grey]

In the Family;
    2012 508 Allure HDi [Thorium Grey]
    2008 207 HDi XT [Bianca White]

Past "Frogs"
    2008 308 XSE HDi SW / 2006 307 XSE HDi Touring / 2001 306 XSi / 2005 206 GTi180 / 2005 407 HDi / 2003 206 XT / 1993 SII 405 Mi16 / 1990 205 GTi / 2x 1985 505 GTi S1 / 1976 504 / 1982 20 TS / 1997 306 XR / 1992 205 Si

If your engine is in proper tune (good plugs, filters, etc.) you may have a sticky IAC (idle air control) motor. I'm not sure where it is located on a 306 but it almost on top of the throttle body on a 405 Mi16. Try taking it off, clean it out really well with some carb/choke cleaner and see what happens.

-Joe

1000+ Posts
    Joe, I'd thought about that myself but wasn't sure if the 306 had one so I kept schtum.

A bit more info. for you Pugsly. Most modern fuel injection has some form of active idle speed stabilisation built in, usually involving a valve that adjusts a tiny amount of air that bypasses the throttle. This air is air that is measured by the metering system, so if the valve permits more air, the injection meter injects more fuel. This way, the mixture is correct, and the engine speed is adjusted.

The input to this is from the control unit which usually has an rpm sensor input, and in many cases the control unit parameters are adjusted by things such as switching the aircon on, where the idle is actually increased in some cars to account for the extra load, and to make the a/c cool a bit at idle. The input for this is typically from the a/c switch, which tells the control unit to ramp up the revs a bit.

The idle control can have inputs from the engine temperature sensor, intake air sensor etc. etc. to account for drag from the engine oil etc. They are a pretty sophisticated set-up...

As Joe suggests, have a go at the valve first as it can jam up a bit. Also, check the connectors to this unit - spray some carb cleaner in the connctor and push it on and off a few times to self clean it.

Cheers and good luck !

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!
    Thanks for your help everyone! I looked in the Haynes manual for the IAC, it looked different than what i had. I took off what i thought is the IAC, a black cylindrical unit. It was covered in some grease and what smelt like petrol. I sprayed it with the carby cleaner and the gunk came off. I chucked it back in and so far so good, it hasn't dropped below 1000 rpm. I hope i did clean the right thing, wish i had a digital camera to show you guys.

And yelo20, i haven't taken the car for a service since i bought it a year ago, will try to soon. It was just serviced before i bought the car from the dealer, i've done only 12000 kms since and changed the oil and filter twice since then plus the fuel filter and spark plugs once.

1000+ Posts
    Pugsly, I haven't seen the 306 one, but generally it's a small cylindrical unit that has a pipe coming out of each end - one end connects to the intake pipe before the throttle body, and the other pipe connects on the engine side of the throttle body. So in effect, it bridges over the throttle. And it has an electrical input.

Stu

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!
    2 pipes? hmmmmm maybe i didn't clean the right thing after all, yikes! well i guess i will just have to monitor the car and see how it goes. Maybe the easiest thing is to take it in for a service, but that's no fun! =P

Fellow Frogger!
    I had another look at the unit, i do see 2 tubes coming in and out but not on the motor unit itself but pretty close. I'm thinking maybe they've changed the design.

If the 2 pipes intersect at 90 degrees to eachother, it is likely the IAC. As said before, one should go down to the actual intake plenum (after the throttle body), while the other should connect somewhere before the throttle body (but after the airflow sensor). There should be a 3 terminal connector on one end of the device also.

-Joe

1000+ Posts
    Hey Pugsly,

Bit off topic, but went to my parents at Safety Bay (WA) today - saw an immaculate red 306 sedan with alloys with plates "Pugsley 1"... (with the "e")

Thought it might have been you, but remembered that you were over there...

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!
    I tried to get a pugsly number plate here in syd but it was taken!!!

Ok i've checked the haynes manual and the thing i cleaned was the IAC motor. The problem has come back again, the revs drop very rapidly below 500, and the engine has cut off once again. I took out the IAC a 2nd time and decided to clean inide the throttle body. I just sprayed some of the carby cleaner on a rag and used my finger to clean the inside. It had alot of grease on there, is there supposed to be grease in there? Should i try cleaning the hoses that go into the IAC part?

Thread Information