Mi16 Loose Gearbox
  • Register
  • Help

Default Mi16 Loose Gearbox

Hey all, the gearchanges on my Mi16 are fairly loose. So wat can i do to stiff up the gear selections? Can i do some adjustments or have i gotta replace the selecting rod from the stick to the gearbox?
    This info will help a great deal.. as the car is my HSC major work. I'll need have to find as many things to do to it. So work needs to be done.

Cheers,
    Owen

Advertisement

Sounds like possibly selector rods, but most complain about the shifts being notchy, so are you talking loose as in easy to change or is it just a case of the lever slopping around?
    Might be an idea to meet up with someone in your area with a similar car and do a comparison before you go "rectifying" something that's working better than most and end up giving yourself some unnecessary headaches.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Alan, I'm Owen's mate from school!

I've had a go of the stick and its definately a tad sloppy - Like not that direct! From memory the other Mi16 I drove was alot more direct - then again it had allmost half the KMS on it, I just think its a bit of wear and tear - what wears out in the box etc to cause this?

Joel
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

The issue that causes this problem is the rubber ball coupling (looks like a black squash ball that sits on a pivot) that connects the gear lever to the selector rod. These wear away with time.

When the stick is in neutral, does it have side to side (up and down?) play, when moving it around (whilst not engaging into gear)? If so, that will be your problem.
    1991 Peugeot 405 Mi16 sports saloon
    Boge shock absorbers all round
    K&N panel
    FOR SALE: $4800 NEGOTIABLE
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/cars-sale-wanted/32141-sale-1991-405-mi16-s1-5-adelaide.html

Yeh the stick is very sloppy and has a fair bit of 'give' before engaging gears. How do i go about getting this rubber piece? Is that all the problem is or does the selecting rod need to be replaced too? If so where do i get these items?

Owen

here are some part nos. for the selector, you can source through EAI (Melbourne):

SELECTION LINK

P244973
    GEAR LINKAGE-P405 BE1
    P245243
    SELECTOR ROD-P405 BE1 (to 6/89) LONG
    P245262
    GEAR LINKAGE LONG-P405 BE3 (ORIG=ADJUST)
    P245485
    SELECTOR ROD-P405 BE1/3 >7009682 SHORT
    P2454A3
    SELECTOR ROD-P405 SHORT BE3 LATE
    P2454A4
    GEAR SELECTOR CABLE END SOCKET-P405 AUTO

cheaper than sourcing through a peugeot dealer, hope this helps. Make sure you quote which gearbox its for (BE1 has lift-up reverse next to 1st gear on 1989 models, BE3 for 'normal' reverse under 5th gear for 1990 onwards). However, the part I described is not listed I think, maybe others on here know the exact name for this.
    1991 Peugeot 405 Mi16 sports saloon
    Boge shock absorbers all round
    K&N panel
    FOR SALE: $4800 NEGOTIABLE
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32141

Fellow Frogger!

Default .

You may replace that ball thing but I wouldn't do any thing to the gear linkages since they are all new about 2-3 years ago.
    1984 505 STI

Most of the play occurs in this ball, but can exist in the rounded parts at he base of the lever, as well as in the socket ends of the small rods on the side of the gearbox.

There are 2 types of ball setups, which is not so much round as octagonal. There is a square ‘cage’, open at sides, and a ring open at the sides. Both get sloppy. Which reminds me of an old comedy routine, but better not go there.

In my opinion, nothing stops you from bushing either, but the cage may be easier to do. If you have some square post about 38mm o/d, cut a 33mm length, then in half vertically, and wrap those 2 bits (which now resemble a flat U section) around the front and rear walls of the cage. Clamp them real flat.

Magic – no slack.

Chris

thanks all u guys.. i'll try to get that rubber ball. Wat's it is called exactly?

Thread Information