504 Repairs - What Do I Need?
  • Register
  • Help

Default 504 Repairs - What Do I Need?

Hi all,

Advertisement

At the end of the month I intend having a go at repairing a few oil leaks in the 504. Appears to be around the timing chain cover and sump gasket? I think I need to get a new sump gasket and gaskets for the timing chain cover but I have heard I need to buy a new cover altogether and the slinger inside the cover as well? Is that correct? Anything else I need? New bolts? Thought I would buy it all through Caravelle unless there are better suggestions?

Regards

Peter J
    PJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J
    Hi all,

At the end of the month I intend having a go at repairing a few oil leaks in the 504. Appears to be around the timing chain cover and sump gasket? I think I need to get a new sump gasket and gaskets for the timing chain cover but I have heard I need to buy a new cover altogether and the slinger inside the cover as well? Is that correct? Anything else I need? New bolts? Thought I would buy it all through Caravelle unless there are better suggestions?

Regards

Peter J

you dont need to buy a whole new cover, and even sillyer is the idea about a new slinger........

the thing with the covers is they get tightened up over time by people and the bolts will tend to 'bell' out the holes in the thin material cover. all you need to do is flaten out where the bolt holes are and youll be right.......easy done, just tap with a hammer, making sure something sturdy is under the hole so that the steel will flaten without bending the side over on the cover.

the slinger??? pffft, there will be nothing wrong with it, its just a cone shaped bit of tin that slides onto the shaft before the cover goes on, there will be nothing wrong with it because theres nothing that can bugger it up

If you have oil leaks around the front pulley, fair chance its caused by lack of vacuum to the engine crankcase. Check the fitting in the inlet manifold to make sure its not blocked.
    regards Pete

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

Peter J,
    I would agree that you don't need to renew the oil slinger. It is very common for oil leaks to occur from the timing cover hole where the crank pulley fits & if you ever need a RWC it will be an item they fail the car on.
    I too doubt you need to renew the timing cover unless the hole in it is out of round through past incorrect fitting. Take the cover off (renew the chain & tensioner at this point if it needs it) & clean all traces of the old cork gasket away. Using new gasket, spray both sides of same with VHT Copper gasket sealan & leave till sticky. Wrap some thin tape around the crank spindle (helps to "centre" the cover when you put it back on - important), & carefully place the cover with gasket applied to the timing case facing. Finally reinstall the various bolts(cleaned up) & their rectangular washers in the correct order & tension up to the correct torque as per Haynes or workshop manual. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN.
    This should stop the leak. Same applies to lower sump plate. I know a lot of people like to use silicon sealing for gaskets, but in these areas I have done this & had the leaks frustratingly continue!
    John505

Thread Information