P-Zeros
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: P-Zeros

Tadpole

Default P-Zeros

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend alternatives to P-Zero's 205/50/17 for my 307cc 180.

Alternatives being something which cost less than an arm/leg/and other arm.

Pug service told me NOT to change profile as this could be detrimental to perfromance, but I wouldn't know

205/50 not too common, 215/45 more available

Someone recommend to me Nankang NS-2 but they sound a bit "budget" although details on their web page looked the business.

Thanks

Stuart

Advertisement

In theory, if you retain the original wheels the RTA stipulates that you must fit only the tyres listed on the placard, hence 205/50's.

I hear that Bridgestone S-03's are good

http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/...treads/s03.asp

Might be less than the P-Zero's, maybe not quite so good though.
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

Quote Originally Posted by StuartF
    Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend alternatives to P-Zero's 205/50/17 for my 307cc 180.

Pug service told me NOT to change profile as this could be detrimental to perfromance, but I wouldn't know

Someone recommend to me Nankang NS-2 but they sound a bit "budget" although details on their web page looked the business.

Thanks

Stuart
    I was at Beaurepaires yesterday, you could get Dunlop SP Maxx for $265 per corner, it's the equivalent as the GS-D3 and rated very well on tirerack.com. Designed in germany so it's gonna be good i think. Not many tyres have the same load rating, but this one has.
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by StuartF
    Hi All,

Thanks

Stuart
    If your after something cheap, by all means, go the nankangs...

I've had the Nankang's on my car for a year or so and whilst I admittedly bought them because they were cheap and I was doing alot of K's, they have completely exceed my expectations (and the previous Goodyear Eagle F1's)

They have a reasonably high limit, but when they let go they do so progressively (unlike the F1's) and it means you can corner harder and still have a safety margin.

I'm not sure how they compare noise wise with a more expensive tyre, but they don't seem any louder than the F1's and have worn quite well...

FWIW, At DECA recently, my car (with an extra 50k on the clock) lapped the track 3 seconds faster than 2 years ago...
    Last edited by mistareno; 3rd March 2006 at 06:35 PM.

Ok - I have three opinions and one disclaimer : )

1) Pirellis are overrated anyway. Somewhat recommended. They arent that great compared with..

2) Bridgestone, Yokohama & Toyo - these are great tyres from Japanese manufacturers. Highly recommended. Find a fitment matching your standard rating, size and profile.

3) Nankang Ultra-Sport II work well. I used these tyres for around 12 months on my Golf VR6 and they were good, in a wide range of had driving conditions. Nankang are a Chinese company emulating Japanese production techniques. The directional tread was great in the wet. Recommended.

* Disclaimer; everyone has an opinion - you will find many differing ideas on Pirelli and Nankang.
    Black Peugeot 306 GTi6, Sydney Australia
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/sydvr6

I'd recommend the Dunlop Sport MAXX, they look to be a very nice tyre.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Tadpole

Default P-Zeros

Thanks to everyone who offered advice, it is much appreciated.

I opted for the NS-2 and had them fitted yesterday. Ended up being $A145 a wheel.

I am very impressed with the complient and noise free ride and respond well to changes in direction. Haven't had a chance to give them a true work out (normally the Old Pacific H'way to Gosford) but happy so far with my choice

Thanks again

Stuart

Tadpole

nangkangs are a fantastic tyre...if:

You drive a VN commodore
    You wear your cap backwards
    Your white shoes and baggy jeans both have GUNIT or 50CENT on them
    You spend as little on tyres/suspension/brakes as possible so you can go full sick fast with engine mods and louder exhausts with angled cannons.

Otherwise, theyre a shitty tyre, with very poor braking and lateral grip. The main attraction of them is the price and the "sick smoke" they make when spun. This is all well and good on a commodore because they'll never handle well.

I know this because I've tried nangkang's on two of my car and taken both sets back as they were ridiculously dangerous when pushed. Limits of grip were low, and when reached completely unpredictable. They performed totally different at different tempretures and wheelspin on corner exit was uncontrollable.

Change back to dunlop dz101's, or the former toyo proxeus and suddenly all these limits extended by 10% corner speed and wheelspin reduced.

Then again all this is in a heavier car. (Maxima).

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Cracka
    nangkangs are a fantastic tyre...if:

You drive a VN commodore
    You wear your cap backwards
    Your white shoes and baggy jeans both have GUNIT or 50CENT on them
    You spend as little on tyres/suspension/brakes as possible so you can go full sick fast with engine mods and louder exhausts with angled cannons.
    I'll have to go out and buy a VN Commodore, white shoes, baggy jeans and start wearing gold chains while listening to rap crap...

Cracka, as with any tyre brand, it depends alot on the tyre model, and the car they are fitted to - BTW what size tyres are on the Maxima?

Alot of people on forums who have had Falken Ziex tyres fitted bag Falken (as a whole), yet they forget that they are the cheapest tyre available in the Falken range (and come in a wide variety of sizes) which is probably the reason the same whinger brought them...Those in the know, are aware that Falken have some great tyres in their range...

My experience (in a lightish nimble car) with the NS2's was far better than with the previous Goodyear Eagle F1's...

Good progressive grip (great for the spirited road use), reasonably durable (compared to the F1's) and cost effective (I drive lots of k's on crap country roads)

Of course you could find a better tyre...but at a price and the original question was for advice on tyres "which cost less than an arm/leg/and other arm"

Anyway Stuart, good luck with the new tyres...
    I hope they suit your car and driving style...If not they apparently make good smoke
    Last edited by mistareno; 7th March 2006 at 04:42 PM.

Thread Information