505 series I clock
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 505 series I clock

Hi all,

I have a problem with the dash mounted clock in my series I 505 STI. This is the Veglia clock which slips fairly easily in and out of its mounting hole in the upper middle dash.

The clock itself is fine, the problem is when I use some electrical components in the car, the clock resets and starts flashing. This indicates an interuption in power or earth to the clock.

Advertisement

Things which make it reset:
    -operating power windows
    -turning off the rear demist switch (after having it on. pushing it on is ok)
    -operating the wiper washer pump

Things which don't affect it:
    -headlights, either beam
    -radio operation
    -hazard lights switch
    -indicators

The clock has 4 wires which feed to it, not sure which line is which. Obviously this problem is some sort of voltage drop problem. Has anyone ever successfully fixed this problem or could offer me advice?

thanks alot
    Greg
    1984 505 STI

Icon7

I seem to remember reading somewhere that someone else had this problem. I cannot for the life of me remeber where but it was resolved by cleaning up all the connectors and sockets on the main pcb that holds all the fuses. This is located in the engine bay near the brake booster. Might be worth a try.

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Lunchcutter,
    Going from wiring diagram 12.10 in Haynes, the for wires from clock 36 are:
    * wire M13 - earth. Test it is permanently earthed with multimeter
    * wire 33 - battery volts via ignition switch "AC" position - agin test for correct volts with key on ACC
    * wire 13 - comes eventually from battery via wires 21/23/10A etc - it is permanently connected to give clock continuous memory of time - check for volts independent of ignition switch.
    * wire 14R - must be connected to park light circuit/instrument lighting
    - not likely to be a problem for you.
    You may have to "provoke" the fault by operating the items you know causes disruption to the clock.
    I would also agree mot likely area is around fuseboard - specifically the r/h side rear relay (rear screen demister), fuses 5,9,12,13 & 14, as if you follow the wretched diagram these are the areas where the wiring converges.
    Hope this helps.
    John505

Fellow Frogger!

Default no success!

I took out every single fuse and cleaned the contacts, but nothing changed. I tested the earth wire for resistance with the battery earth terminal, 70 ohm, fluctuating a lot between 30 and 120. Thought this might be the problem. Volts on the continuous supply dropped marginally from 12.5 to 11.9 when the demister is turned off.

Just to reiterate, my problem is my clock resets when I turn the rear demister off or use the power windows or use the windscreen washer pump.

Connected the earth wire to a wire running straight to the earth on the battery, problem persisted

Connected positive terminal on battery to the continuous supply wire to the clock, problem persisted.

Connected BOTH battery positive to continuous supply AND battery earth to clock earth, problem PERSISTED!

Also tried battery positive to the clock ignition wire and battery earth to the clock earth, problem persisted.

So I gave up for now. Something I just thought of as I was writing this is maybe i;m getting a 12V spike in the clock earth wire when the demister operates... will check that when time allows.

any comments/suggestions in the mean time welcomed!!
    1984 505 STI

Fellow Frogger!

Electricity works and moves in mysterious ways.
    I'll bet its not your clock.
    I would suggest it is a bad earth on the other items that affect it.
    They are probably on the same fuse and the other parts are trying to earth back through the clock.
    This would give the clock a zero voltage reading and stop the clock. It may only be momentary and would make no difference if you had the clock connected directly to the battery, as you have already tried.
    I find Peugeot to be a bit shakey on their earth set ups.
    So thats where I would be looking
    Good luck

Default Not just Pugs...

People tell me that the Earth has been going bad for some time..... But yes, earthing problems are common on all marques. VW Golfs are also notorious. Check particularly any earthing point that gets wet, particularly around the windscreen area (under dash) and around the fuse box/plenum.
    82 Peugeot 505 Turbo Diesel
    78 VW Golf diesel
    80 VW Golf diesel
    84 Nissan Patrol MQ diesel

Icon7

As Warren said, the problem probably isn't with your clock but do you have (or are able to borrow) a spare one to check in your car? Maybe also put your clock in another 505 and see what happens. Might be worth a try. Garry Ruben down at Hackham would have a few spares.

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Fellow Frogger!

Default .

I cut the old earth wire and ran a new wire from the clock to the screw which screws the dash into the metal of the car directly behind it. The resistance between this makeshift earth and the battery earth was less that through the clock wire earth, and I thought it may stop other devices trying to earth through the clock.

Anyway it seemed to be better, SOMETIMES I can use power windows without it resetting, but the problem still occurs, the clock resets when the power windows and the demister are used.

My next thought was to find a continual power supply wire behind the speedo somewhere and connect it to the clock wire, then cut off the old clock supply. Should I do this? Which wire would be a reliable supply to tap into? any ideas? my brother told me to use my watch...
    1984 505 STI

Fellow Frogger!

use the central locking supply

Thread Information