Froggy condrum
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Froggy condrum

Default Froggy condrum

I have a difficult decision to make.

I have two 504's my white daily whose body has taken quite a beating over the years and is in desperate and dire need of a respray (the next time i get pulled over about the condition of my car it will be my final warning i am sure).

The other car is a silver 504 body, minus motor and gearbox that i got from a member of this forum. Body is in very good condition bar a few dints at the back which i have been able to repair using my expert bogging skills.

I have been quoted ~1500 to do the engine swap and i also need to get the clutch replaced and machine wheel done.

I really like the new silver car as it has had a far more gentle life than my current 504, and is currently great apart from missing an engine.

I am intending to keep the white 504 regardless and use for a disel conversion later down the track.

After getting the quotes i thought that maybe i am better off just getting the current white 504 sprayed? I am not sure about this as it has had some structural damage around the top of the struts from when i hit trafic calming and generally the body is not quite straight.

Advertisement

I know that this is a little long whinded but i though i would put it to the forum as to the better option.

I feel that a quick respray on the white 504 is a short term solution whilst fixing the silver pug would return a more worthwhile investement.

thanks

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Any reason you can't DIY the engine swap? The clutch shouldn't be expensive, i'm getting one reco'd at the moment. New clutch lining, machine flywheel, and uprate the pressureplate by 40% and it will cost max $350.

Dave

After ringing around it seems that if i can get the engine out, it would be relatively inexpensive to get the motor and gearbox replaced into the second car. The machining and replacing of the clutch would be easier as the motor is out of the car allready i assume.

I was going to diy the whole job but i would feel better if the clutch was done properly and at the same time the engine given a once over.

I have to remove the torque tube housing as the second body is an auto, but this i should be able to do myself... Maybe if i read the haynes manual it will be as easy as that.

Will keep everyone updated on progress. I only get every second weekend off so its going to take a while.

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

The great thing about 504s is that they are so easy to work on. If you were in Adelaide, I'd come over and do the swap for you, we'd have it done on a Saturday in time to watch the motor racing at 2.

It is a very straightforward swap, and I'm sure you'll find someone who'll do it for a lot less than $1500, also the clutch shouldn't cost you more than about $150 while you have everything apart.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Thread Information