505 windscreen - dodgy job?
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 505 windscreen - dodgy job?

I had a new windscreen put in my wagon today. The seal is now about 5 mm away from the body on the upper corners and the lower corners now flap up just a little bit less.

I must admit I freaked a bit and rang the installer straight away (I was not present at the installation). He assures me it won't leak, the rubber is old (which it probably is), that 505 are a dry fit with no sealant used, and that the seal is meant to be away from the body at the bottom as this is the drain hole.

Has anyone out there had a similar experience with their new windscreen? If so, did you have any problems with leaking or wind noise?

Advertisement

Does this sound like a dodgy job?

Cheers,

Todd
    1986 505 SLi wagon (XN6; 3HP22; silver)
    1984 505 STI sedan (ZDJK; 3HP22; silver light blue)

Default Problem solved (for the record)

I took my wagon back and complained about the windscreen. It turns out that they had tried to palm off an old (poor quality) locally-made screen - didn't fit properly, no tinting, had blemishes that couldn't be removed.

Fortunately there was a great bloke working for this dodgy crowd. He completely bagged the company, told me how bad the screen was and then arranged to replace it the next day with a new PGI screen.

Fantastic! Looks great, nice tint, seals fills out the cavity. Couldn't have hoped for a better result. I'm a bit annoyed that I had to fight to get the job done right though - such is life.
    1986 505 SLi wagon (XN6; 3HP22; silver)
    1984 505 STI sedan (ZDJK; 3HP22; silver light blue)

Fellow Frogger!

Had the same kind of experience with the 404 ute.
    A stone thrown up by a fast passing car on new sutfaced road (with all the due warnings) shattered the screen with a loud bang and millions of pieces.
    New screen looked ok, but with first rain leaked like a sieve. Tried to fiddle with the seal and found that the screen was smaller and had different angles than original.
    Screen place replaced it without any hassles.

Thread Information