505 XN6 timing advance setting
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 505 XN6 timing advance setting

Has anyone out there advanced the timing on their XN6 (i.e. SLi) to better utilise the higher octane of premium fuels (e.g. 98 RON)?

If so, what setting have you used? How much difference in performance/economy did you notice?

Advertisement

I hope someone replies because XN6 interest seems to be pretty thin on the ground in this forum.

Cheers, Todd
    1986 505 SLi wagon (XN6; 3HP22; silver)
    1984 505 STI sedan (ZDJK; 3HP22; silver light blue)

I found on my 2 505 SR wagon engines that the quality of the fuel these days leaves a lot to be desired. I could tune the car on a weekend and fill it during the week and on occasions depending where we filled up the quality would differ and i would have to adjust the timing again because of pre-ignition.
    Just my experience. That was an '86 3sp auto and a 1990 4sp auto.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Default Thanks for your reply

Hi HKP,

I have been getting very consistent fuel economy, so maybe my fuel has been of pretty consistent quality. This might be because I always buy from the same place: a high turnover, popular BP servo?

Cheers,

Todd
    1986 505 SLi wagon (XN6; 3HP22; silver)
    1984 505 STI sedan (ZDJK; 3HP22; silver light blue)

We haven't noticed any difference in our current cars but back in the 505XN days I'd notice a bit of difference and I also noticed the odd occasion in the S**b turbo when I had it where there would be pinging on one fill and not when filled again. Only my observation though.
    Run both cars on Mobil 95 these days where possible, mainly because the servo at the top of our street has the credit card facility on the pump and you can be antisocial and not have to talk to anyone in the morning when you fill up if you don't want to.
    Haven't given the 98 much of a go yet, will have to one day to see how it goes.

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

I got to meet Hong Kong Puggy *the wagon* the other day....she is a nice car....wish it was mine!

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Quote Originally Posted by Pug_405_Mi16
    I got to meet Hong Kong Puggy *the wagon* the other day....she is a nice car....wish it was mine!

Ben
    After reading how well the Weber conversion went that 123abc did on my old 505 wagon with the carbie I bought to fit to HKP505 I sometimes wish I hadn't sold it. HK is certainly a solid old car and a great talking point amongst those supposedly in the know. I love the reaction you get when you mention it's a 1990 505GR wagon and it has the 4sp auto. The reaction is X100, it's priceless.
    Did Peter get the parts I sent him?
    Did you get to travel in it? Such a lovely machine with the 4sp auto and the XN engine at highway speed too, so much easier to live with.
    It's a pity the transition form 3sp>>4sp is apparently so difficult.

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

Blizzardboy,
    I own as some may recall a 505 SLi 1986 auto wagon with the XN6 engine. To get it going I had to mate the block of an earlier 505GR with the XN6 cylinder head from the original engine. These cylinder head are not easy to come by & mine had suffered from being cooked & had cracks between the spark plug bores & the combustion chambers in No 1 & 2 cylinders. I paid a fair bit to have it repaired which involved a lot of aluminium! In fact the repairer said he would never take on that sort of job again - but there was no other choice at the time, as I wanted to keep the K-Jetronic.
    In the course of reassembly I had to reset the position of the front timing plate as the donor block did not have one (why?). I used a rod inserted into the No 4 spark plug hole & tried to as accurately as possible estimat TDC on the compression stroke. This is how I set the timing plate.
    I know now from experience that there is a lot of potential error in this estimation as the piston stays at TDC for quite a few degrees of crank rotation.
    Anyway I set the ignition timing to 8 deg. BTDC & ran the car for some time on 98 & 95 RON petrol. On 95 RON it pinged on load & like so many others I blamed it on poor quality fuels sold these days. But even on 98 RON the car was never showing a great amount of urge.
    With less money these days to play with I began to run it on standard unleaded & retarded the timing back enough so that it did not ping on load. Now I have the benefit of less money needed to fill it up & the interesting thing is there has been no discernible difference in the performance. So maybe it was best to stick to Peugeot's original advice about petrol requirements & run it on standard unleaded afterall!
    Sorry to disillusion you but there seem no benefits from higher octane juice.
    John505

Icon7

John,

How far did you have to retard it to stop the pinging? Mine (505GR) is pinging quite a bit at the moment even though I'm using premium, the timing's set at 8deg BTDC as per manual. I suspect I have a fair bit of carbon build up in the combustion chambers. It is also running on a fair bit.

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Matt,
    When I say I "retarded" the timing, it may be that I have not altered it very much - at most 2 degrees - from the recommended setting of 8 deg. BTDC, as I moved the timing plate to the right when I recalibrated where it really should have been by redoing the setting of the notch on the pulley to the TDC position in number 4 cylinder on the compression stroke.
    You are in a somewhat different position with the GR because of course it was intended to run originally on 96 RON leaded fuel, whereas the SLi was only ever intended to run on 91 RON unleaded.
    I agree that with your car running on a lot it is likely there are carbon deposits causing hot spots in the combustion chambers.
    With your car pinging on 98 RON it sounds to me that you are not getting sufficient ignition advance, so the distributor must be suspect. Especially if it pings on part load situations - say driving up a moderate hill in top gear. This happened to me in the SLi & I discovered the vacuum advance was out to lunch. Fixing the vacuum advance made a big difference & stopped the pinging - which is ultimately very bad for the engine, as you know I'm sure.
    Hope you fix the GR.
    Best of luck
    John505

Thread Information