New Lion GTi roars in
  • Register
  • Help

Default New Lion GTi roars in

It's official! The legend has returned, and the spiritual successor to one of the most famous hot hatches ever built is set to throw down the gauntlet to rivals at the Geneva Motor Show in March.

These are the first pictures of the Peugeot 207 RCup, which is going to be launched as the 207 GTi in only 12 months' time. It's the first car from the firm to reveal just how serious it is about recreating its classic 205 GTi.

The model here will be badged the 207 RCup, but our sources have told us how it shows the beefy bodywork of the GTi, first revealed in issue 885.

Taking some of its inspiration from the brilliant Volkswagen Golf GTI, Peugeot intends to blend traditional driving appeal with the very latest technology to create a hot hatch that every performance enthusiast will want to get behind the wheel of.

While this show car is fitted with a 2.0-litre engine, the roadgoing version is expected to have a high-revving 1.6-litre turbo unit, developing at least 180bhp at 8,500rpm.

The RCup is also designed to prove that Peugeot plans to make the new GTi one of the fastest cars in its class. Feeding power through the front wheels, the high-performance model will cover 0-60mph in around seven seconds and go on to reach a top speed of nearly 140mph.

Advertisement

A close-ratio, six-speed manual gear-box will be fitted as standard, but buyers are expected to have the option of a sequential transmission. The
    RCup has a six-ratio, F1-style gearbox which could be adapted for road use.

ADVERTISEMENT

Auto Express has already tested the engine and semi-automatic set-up in the three-wheeled 20Cup concept car. We were amazed by the performance on offer - and the speed with which the unit switched ratios. To help the GTi deal with all that power, the standard car's chassis is going to be heavily revised. A wider track will give greater stability, while stiffened suspension will provide taut body control when cornering.

In order to satisfy demanding performance fans and keep up with class-leading rivals, it's vital Peugeot creates a car which offers plenty of steering feedback and unbeatable agility. But although the standard 207 is set to go on sale in the summer, the hot GTi variant isn't expected to join the range until early next spring.

On the inside, GTi versions are likely to upgrade the 207's new, high-quality cabin with figure-hugging sports seats, brightly coloured upholstery, plus aluminium trim on the gearknob and drilled pedals. In terms of equipment, climate control and a six-CD stereo with MP3-playing capability will be standard fit.

Options are set to include satellite navigation.

Prospective buyers are likely to get their first official glimpse of the production car at the Paris Motor Showin September, with sales kicking off in the UK six months later. Prices will start at around 15,500.
    Chris Thorp

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/64..._roars_in.html
    04' GTi 180

180BHp?? If the Clio is going to 200BHp how can Pug hope to compete?
    Clint

Obsidian Black 206 RC (2004)
    Ferodo DS2500 Racing Pads
    Green Cotton Dynatwist Induction Kit
    OZ Superturismo WRC 16" wheels

Quote Originally Posted by 206 RC
    180BHp?? If the Clio is going to 200BHp how can Pug hope to compete?
    200hp is an over zealous figure been put foward by RCS owners that has yet to be verified but we do know that the RCIII is one phatt momma, carrying a 130kg more weight than the Mk2 car.

If the RCSIII does happen to have 200HP then the accelartion gain would probably be very little because of the weight increase.
    Last edited by WRC180; 27th February 2006 at 04:06 PM.
    04' GTi 180

Gee that was a waste of my time. I hope to read something interesting about this car one day. It seems every couple of weeks we hear "breaking news" that a new GTi is on it's way, that it's the "spiritual successor" to the 205 GTi, and that it has a "new BMW turbo 1.6 developing around 180 hp."

It was interesting (and in fact breaking news) when I read about it last year for the first time. Now it's just boring. I hope people don't buy magazines and stuff because of these articles.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Gee that was a waste of my time. I hope to read something interesting about this car one day.
    Like it ACTUALLY exists, then again I'd been reading stuff about a 180 for over a year before ordering a 138, and it (the 180) eventually arrived almost 2 years later or close in 3 years too late Peugeot, perhaps they have learnt their lesson. ?

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

we re never ever see this car in australia 207RCUP this car is made by ecosse,also 1.6 peugeot going BAD shape and engine
    whats going on..!

so all in all. 10 years on... still better of buyng a 205 and doing a Gti6 / Mi16 conversion

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Id be interested to know how much more weight the 207 weighs over the 206 as apparently the 207 is very close to a 306 in size?

Stalled
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by bowie
    so all in all. 10 years on... still better of buyng a 205 and doing a Gti6
    I short & performance only, yes. - Chris
    ... ptui!

The whole 'spiritual successor to the 205 GTi' line is such a tired old piece of copy. Everytime Peugeot sneezes its the 'spiritual successor to the 205 GTi'. This phrase shows how little journalists actually have to say and in fact denigrates all the great cars PSA have released since the 205.

That said - seeing pictures of the 207 Rcup did somewhat restore my faith in the current direction of the marque. Is it possible this car could bring some much needed redemption from the styling excesses Peugeot has piled on its new models in recent times? From first appearance it may just be a 'beauty' aswell as a beast.

If so, maybe the 205 can finally rest in peace? We'll see. Lets hope the Rcup makes it past the concept car stage.
    Last edited by SydGTi6; 27th February 2006 at 10:15 PM.
    Black Peugeot 306 GTi6, Sydney Australia
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/sydvr6

BRing on the Paris motor show.......

I really cant wait to see the "Final" specs...
    "Racing is life, Everything else is just waiting" Steve McQueen 1930 - 1980

Quote Originally Posted by nos205gti
    we re never ever see this car in australia 207RCUP this car is made by ecosse,also 1.6 peugeot going BAD shape and engine
    whats going on..!
    I thought the same thing. Why not fit the biggest displacement you can under there and if power still needs to be upped, at least it will be a low pressure turbo with better throttle response, low lag etc. Sounds more like they want to save on development costs rather than any real performance benefit gained from fitting a poxy 1.6 litre turbo. I doubt even the weight difference between a 1.6 and 2.0 alloy engines is much anyway.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

It's quite a fancy little power unit, if you care to read about it - certainly a lot better technology than the EW10 it replaces.

PSA/BMW engine blurb
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

XTC

I like this,

"The timing chain driving the camshafts is not only very precise and reliable, but also remains maintenance-free throughout the full running life of the engine"

Service agent won't though, gone is a very expensive and profitable cam-belt change - I'm sure they will find something else though.

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    Service agent won't though, gone is a very expensive and profitable cam-belt change - I'm sure they will find something else though.

- xTc -
    The agent won't, the mechanic will. I'd hate to change one on the 138/180
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    It's quite a fancy little power unit, if you care to read about it - certainly a lot better technology than the EW10 it replaces.

PSA/BMW engine blurb
    Yeah I can see their point, and the technology sounds pretty amazing for a production engine. I guess their main objective is to reduce emissions and fuel consumption whilst still providing excellent power and torque. I do see the point, however the hoon in me can only think how awesome that same technology would be in a 2 litres + engine. Bring on the new M3; not that I'd ever be able to afford it.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Thread Information