• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Clarkson on the 407 Coupe

Default Clarkson on the 407 Coupe

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/art...056983,00.html

Advertisement

He doesnt like it much.... discuss!
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by J. Clarkson
    I fear then they’re not making this car because they saw a niche. I suspect they’re making it because they’ve always made 2+2 coupés. And they couldn’t be bothered to stop.
    Ouch!

Jeremy Clarkson is an entertainer... nothing else. He has little to no credibility in my opinion.

Having said that, personally I am not that keen on the 407 Coupe...
    Clint

Obsidian Black 206 RC (2004)
    Ferodo DS2500 Racing Pads
    Green Cotton Dynatwist Induction Kit
    OZ Superturismo WRC 16" wheels

XTC

Peugeot 407 Coupe
    BMW 330
    Porsche Boxster.

Pick the odd one out ?

- xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

He doesnt like it much.... discuss![/QUOTE]

He doesnt like anything french, more so when he and the others where battling to get there super cars out of the street of paris.

PS The Zonda S bottoming out really hurt!
    04' GTi 180

Quote Originally Posted by 206 RC
    Jeremy Clarkson is an entertainer... nothing else. He has little to no credibility in my opinion.

Having said that, personally I am not that keen on the 407 Coupe...
    An entertainer maybe but he does hold enormous sway in the British motoring press. There arent many other writers that can sink a car with a column or segment on TG.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Quote Originally Posted by 206 RC
    Perhaps, but at least he is an entertainer with over 20 years of motoring journalism behind him.

It's a breath of fresh air from the re-worded press release school of writing that is so apparent these days. At least he has the balls to criticise a car, even if you don't agree with it.

His comments about Peugeot are bang on. At the moment they have an incredibly lacklustre line-up.

Quote Originally Posted by macquered
    His comments about Peugeot are bang on. At the moment they have an incredibly lacklustre line-up.
    Obviously the UK dealer network doesn't help Peugeot's reputation, but IMO the x07 aren't worth buying unless you must have diesel. Over here the Asians are the opposition , which probably isn't the case in the northern hemisphere. AS for JC, I find him very entertaining and if he wasn't able to deliver then he wouldn't be in the business of being a motoring journo.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

If it makes you feel any better, have a read about what he said on the new Volkswagen Jetta.

As noted, he's an entertainer that happens to write about cars. Top Gear is a great TV show, but you need to accept that Clarkson is just as likely to swing his opinion 180° if it will make a good piece of entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by macquered
    Perhaps, but at least he is an entertainer with over 20 years of motoring journalism behind him.

It's a breath of fresh air from the re-worded press release school of writing that is so apparent these days. At least he has the balls to criticise a car, even if you don't agree with it.

I agree, Brenno.

Clarkson may talk a lot of crap, but he has an ability to simply cut through the crap to the heart of the matter.
    alexn2003 likes this.
    Care factor = -273.15ºC

Probably the most important sentence in the whole article

I’d rather be wrong than dull.
    However at the same time, i reckon he is on the money, from a arm-chair critic perspective the new pugs suck. Defending the new range of peugeots is like saying Saddam Hussien was as peaceful as a buddhist monk

A coupe for that money should be either

a) nice looking
    b) an entertaining drive

I think his point is that the 407 coupe is neither and certainly not both. Pointless therefore? That's what I thought just by looking at it.
    John

2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue
    2008 BMW 325i M-sport steptronic sedan - Alpineweiss
    2010 BMW 320d Touring Innovations - Space Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie
    A coupe for that money should be either
    a) nice looking
    b) an entertaining drive
    And it doesn't need to be 2 tonnes (so the article says). Actually it comes in around 1800kgs, depending on spec. Remember how the Nissan Z kept getting fatter, heavier, and slower. Seems PSA have caught the same disease.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

1000+ Posts

They should ditch the 407 and continue with the 406 coupe. It's timeless and I wouldn't mind having a 2006 model. I think I would rank it in the top 3 of best looking cars ever produced.

Patrick
    605SVE

al

I personally can't see any problems with that review. I haven't yet confirmed this, but i can only see the new coupe as peugeot taking another step towards producing a comfortable and compliant barge.

Performance wise the 406 coupe is nothing special, and i don't even find it inspiring through the corners... From all reports the 407 is even worse, and why should somebody evaluating a car say nice things about that?

Clarkson is an entertainer, but he is a motoring journalist and his opinions seem fair. He respects cars that are a bit special, or fulfill their function well. (what do people look for in cars anyway?) He is also far more blunt than other writers, and presents the information in a way that doesn't repel the audience.

I would much prefer to read/watch him review a car than someone nice and balanced like...Glen Ridge? (Although, i suspect he would also come to the same conclusion.)
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pug
    He doesnt like it much.... discuss!
    He doesnt like anything french,[/quote]

He raves about the Clio Sport so i dont think he just rights a car off cause its french.

Quote Originally Posted by IBOO57
    He doesnt like anything french,
    He raves about the Clio Sport so i dont think he just rights a car off cause its french.[/QUOTE]

He also love the 206 GTi180.. so he isnt anti french. Well... At least not more so than other Englishman.
    Clint

Obsidian Black 206 RC (2004)
    Ferodo DS2500 Racing Pads
    Green Cotton Dynatwist Induction Kit
    OZ Superturismo WRC 16" wheels

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by al
    I personally can't see any problems with that review. I haven't yet confirmed this, but i can only see the new coupe as peugeot taking another step towards producing a comfortable and compliant barge.

Performance wise the 406 coupe is nothing special, and i don't even find it inspiring through the corners... From all reports the 407 is even worse, and why should somebody evaluating a car say nice things about that?

Clarkson is an entertainer, but he is a motoring journalist and his opinions seem fair. He respects cars that are a bit special, or fulfill their function well. (what do people look for in cars anyway?) He is also far more blunt than other writers, and presents the information in a way that doesn't repel the audience.

I would much prefer to read/watch him review a car than someone nice and balanced like...Glen Ridge? (Although, i suspect he would also come to the same conclusion.)

I much prefer the HDi 406 for ride and handling, the steering on the coupe is quite indirect, and the suspension travel restricted. The lack of headroom in the coupe is also a problem.
    I must be in the minority but I also don't like the 406 Coupe styling, looks very similar to the Holden Monaro. On the other hand the sedan and wagon really stand out as something special when parked next to other cars.
    Clarkson's review was interesting, didn't mention one bad thing about the 407, just that he found it boring. This probably means that the public will love it!
    History has shown that manfacturers that make interesting cars usually go broke!
    Graham

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    History has shown that manfacturers that make interesting cars usually go broke! Graham
    mmm this was "interesting"

You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

I agree with him, the 205gti, 106gti, 406, were all good and had a cult following.

the new Pugs suck. They lack the excitment, the looks, etc that the older pugs mentioned had.
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Quote Originally Posted by n b j
    I agree with him, the 205gti, 106gti, 406, were all good and had a cult following.

the new Pugs suck. They lack the excitment, the looks, etc that the older pugs mentioned had.
    you deffenetly RIGHT

You can't say he does not like anything French. I have seen him praise the 504 many many times. Can you blame him.
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt
    1991 Toyota mx83 grande 1jzgte

thast exactly right.. sorry to say.. but the 407.. along with every other 07 available at the moment are just crap..

from what ive read

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Fellow Frogger!

Perhaps you should drive one for 1300 KM in a day and then decide how good a 307 HDI is.
    Regards Dennis

al

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    I much prefer the HDi 406 for ride and handling, the steering on the coupe is quite indirect, and the suspension travel restricted. The lack of headroom in the coupe is also a problem.
    I must be in the minority but I also don't like the 406 Coupe styling, looks very similar to the Holden Monaro. On the other hand the sedan and wagon really stand out as something special when parked next to other cars.
    Clarkson's review was interesting, didn't mention one bad thing about the 407, just that he found it boring. This probably means that the public will love it!
    History has shown that manfacturers that make interesting cars usually go broke!
    Graham
    The steering lacks so much feel that it is scary when pushing it around corners... I've been driving my dads for the last couple of weeks, and i still don't feel confident pushing it hard. The bloody thing rolls around that much and feels so heavy too...

I do actually like the thing though, it just isn't a performance car.

But, the 1007 is embarrassing for us peugeot fans... What were they thinking with that?

And the problem isn't that he hates french cars, it is that new french cars are generally boring rubbish. He said he would have a clio V6 in his top 10 garage, he regularly speaks of the "legendary 205" and he even compliments base model clios on for being funky and suited to the city.

Incidentally, he doesn't like the 406 coupe either...
    405 Mi16 - Sold - Now back
    205 Mi16
    505 GTi

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information