Prv. V6. Recipe.
  • Register
  • Help

Default Prv. V6. Recipe.

The forum tells me that I have not made a post for a while, so I would like to clarify all the good info you guys have given me on the PRV V6.

I have finally got some time to rebuild a motor for the 604 that I have started on.
    Have a 2850 Volvo( 760) motor for the pots etc, and just wanted to get some things clear.

Q.1 Cams:- if I use the Volvo (even fire) ones then I can’t use my Crank ( oddfire), will the V. crank fit my block? Will need the cams from a 264-correct??

Q 2.The V. motor is supposed to be unleaded – 1984 –1985, any way to tell???
    If so then these are the heads to use if not corroded also better ports- bigger valves???

Q3.There was some thing about the oil gallies on the L.H. Head or Both Heads - have to drill out???, apparently this can be a major problem for the cam- was it ever a recall issue and can I tell if it has been done??

Advertisement

Q4.This is the Q. I nearly forgot and sounds like it can be a major problem, the Timing Chain!!- can it be changed to a double and where can I get the double cogs etc, or just keep an ear on it and renew it and the cogs, tensioner etc when it gets noisy.- I think Rambo was going to do the double modification.

Q5. Volvo electronic dizzy will go straight in – no modifications to drive gears or any thing- correct??

Q6. Radiator – I live in a hot part of this Island & some one said you put a Commode V8 radiator in- True ??

Q 7. Will renew all the hoses, seals, welsh plugs and other plumbing on the motor as I go , any particular one that gives trouble??

Q 8. Will go with the F.I.- any tricks or mods here???- maybe newer type injectors or get the electric fuel pump with the highest pressure- more squirt- more bang ???
    Will do some porting & polishing etc.
    Will definitely go for water injection & maybe cold air _ any comment???

My mate who builds performance automatics says there is a lot that can be done with the Trimatic (modulators& valves etc etc)- he suggests an 1800 stally for every day use, he reckons something about it will suit the rev ranges of the new F.I. motor and after he is finished with it I will never want to get hold of a manual bell housing & 5 speed??

I know most of this has been hashed & rehashed here before , but if I get some feed back then it will be all on one page for those with an interest in the PRV V6.

Thanks again guys.

P.S. Rambo if you see this can you please P.M. me about those tailight & front blinkers when you get time and if any one else has some for the 604 let me know.
    "The bigger the Emu egg the heavier the burden"

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by SLIPPERY PIZZA
    The forum tells me that I have not made a post for a while, so I would like to clarify all the good info you guys have given me on the PRV V6.

I have finally got some time to rebuild a motor for the 604 that I have started on.
    Have a 2850 Volvo( 760) motor for the pots etc, and just wanted to get some things clear.

Q.1 Cams:- if I use the Volvo (even fire) ones then I can’t use my Crank ( oddfire), will the V. crank fit my block? Will need the cams from a 264-correct??

If so then these are the heads to use if not corroded also better ports- bigger valves???

Q3.There was some thing about the oil gallies on the L.H. Head or Both Heads - have to drill out???, apparently this can be a major problem for the cam- was it ever a recall issue and can I tell if it has been done??

Q4.This is the Q. I nearly forgot and sounds like it can be a major problem, the Timing Chain!!- can it be changed to a double and where can I get the double cogs etc, or just keep an ear on it and renew it and the cogs, tensioner etc when it gets noisy.- I think Rambo was going to do the double modification.

Q5. Volvo electronic dizzy will go straight in – no modifications to drive gears or any thing- correct??

Q6. Radiator – I live in a hot part of this Island & some one said you put a Commode V8 radiator in- True ??

Q 7. Will renew all the hoses, seals, welsh plugs and other plumbing on the motor as I go , any particular one that gives trouble??

Q 8. Will go with the F.I.- any tricks or mods here???- maybe newer type injectors or get the electric fuel pump with the highest pressure- more squirt- more bang ???

My mate who builds performance automatics says there is a lot that can be done with the Trimatic (modulators& valves etc etc)- he suggests an 1800 stally for every day use, he reckons something about it will suit the rev ranges of the new F.I. motor and after he is finished with it I will never want to get hold of a manual bell housing & 5 speed??

I know most of this has been hashed & rehashed here before , but if I get some feed back then it will be all on one page for those with an interest in the PRV V6.

Thanks again guys.

P.S. Rambo if you see this can you please P.M. me about those tailight & front blinkers when you get time and if any one else has some for the 604 let me know.

Is that an odd or even fire 760 motor? The odd fire has K-Jetronic injection with the long manifolds down each side.
    Graham
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 27th February 2006 at 07:00 AM.

The forum tells you that? Perhaps I should shut up.

You are best of using the entire 2849 block, as otherwise you will have to machine out the 2664 to accept the larger liners.

The camshaft profiles are interchangeable between the odd and even fire motors. However the even fire motor lacks the drive for the distributor on the RH camshaft.

All PRVs had hardened valve seats. But now I'm confused - 760s didn't get an even fire until very late 1987, perhaps even 88. Are you sure you have an even fire engine?

It was never recalled. It is a good idea, however, to increase the size of the oil jets in the rocker arms that squirt oil onto the camshaft lobes. This became less of an issue with the even fire heads as they had "buckets" under the camshafts, so they are always running in oil.

Put new timing chains and tensioners in while you have the engine out, change the oil every 7500kms and enjoy another 250,000 kms of not having to worry about your timing chain. I haven't yet seen one snap, they get so sloppy that you have oil pressure problems from the tensioner hyper-extending first.

Assuming it's an odd fire engine, yes it will. If it's an even fire engine, there is work to be done, I can elaborate if required.

Best bet is to get your current tanks soldered to a triple core of the same area. Seems to have had the best results.

Good idea. All the rubber hoses. V6s don't like running without water in them, air bubbles almost invariably blow head gaskets and ruin heads.

If it's an odd fire engine, use the K-jet as standard. Fairly reliable, but if you start mucking about with it, you'll have trouble. If it's an even fire, make sure you find all of the L-jet system that they normally have on them, including O2 sensors, for which you will need to weld 19m bungs into the engine downpipes. Whichever way you go, make sure you use the original fuel pump for the application. More pressure does equal more squirt, but that doesn't equal more bang, just overly rich fuel mixtures, low power and high fuel consumption. More air is a much bigger concern, and cold air intake is a good start. Porting and polishing definately helps on these motors, remove all traces of the EGR system from the exhaust side, and just smooth and port match the intake side. Don't polish the intake side though, only the exhaust.

He's right, and it's fairly cheap too. Certain people on this forum have done exactly that (buffers removed from brakebands, steel modulating pistons, 4 planetry gear output shafts, etc) and may come forward to offer more info about these mods. Otherwise, a mate of mine here in Adelaide has a PRV bell housing and 5 speed gearbox he has decided he doesn't want to use now (he's building a hot ZDJL instead).

Keep the interest alive!

I did have, but I gave them to Pugrambo, I didn't want them!
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

Demannu, Do you know how much your mate wants for the bellhousing and gearbox? I'm definitely interested.

Tobes
    504 GL Coupe '73 Silver
    504 GTDT Pickup Mini-Motorhome '83 Coral Red
    407 HDi Sedan '05

Thread Information