What colour should I paint my ute???
  • Register
  • Help

Default What colour should I paint my ute???

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of what colour I should paint my 404 ute that is soone to under the knife for some reconstructive surgery. I was thinking some type of green as it will be a diesel and running on Bio therefore quite fitting (also I really like green) I saw a very green 404 in NZ last time I was there.

Advertisement

Problem with too many peugeots is they are owned or bought new by old conservative men therefore we have a glut of creme and white pugs running around. I really don't like the drab, blend in kind of colours, after all, if I wanted to blend, I'd be driving a hilux!

Did the 404 ever come in a lemongrass type green? Does anyone have a list of colours that peugeot had available for the 404? I'd like to keep in period just for kicks. Let's here some colour ideas!
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got thier shoes!

Default 404 colours

Quote Originally Posted by downunderyank
    I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of what colour I should paint my 404 ute that is soone to under the knife for some reconstructive surgery. I was thinking some type of green as it will be a diesel and running on Bio therefore quite fitting (also I really like green) I saw a very green 404 in NZ last time I was there.

Problem with too many peugeots is they are owned or bought new by old conservative men therefore we have a glut of creme and white pugs running around. I really don't like the drab, blend in kind of colours, after all, if I wanted to blend, I'd be driving a hilux!

Did the 404 ever come in a lemongrass type green? Does anyone have a list of colours that peugeot had available for the 404? I'd like to keep in period just for kicks. Let's here some colour ideas!

Hi DUY,

I have a couple of 404 sedans. One in boring white and one in Green (70 model green, a Dulux Dulon Green, think it called Valley Green -will check)

In it's day it would have looked very smart and definitely stand out from the average white and sunburst cars.

I elect you stick with a standard Australian colour, I assure the Valley green car would look very good. It is not the same green as the 67 cars which were a darker green and the one I had a white roof.

A tip from my Tutor in the TAFE panel restoration class I attending.

Find the original colour sample of the manufacturers colour have it scanned by one of the auto paint companies and try to choose a STANDARD colour which is very close. It is then much easier to get paint.

regards

Robert

'

If you can get the March 2006 Worm Review have a look at the green of the 203 Nerde Dubois.
    March 2006 Worm Review.

http://worm.rkweb.org

Failing that try a nice dark BRG.

Brittish Racing Green should be a standard colour.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Default 404 Ute colours ...

Hmm, what colour you say?

Having a brown 404 ute I can say that it is a constant reminder of the 1970's (Mission Brown and Sunburst Orange being favourites of the era...). Unfortunately not a nice reminder. Don't paint it BROWN! The comparison to a stool is too close.

The original colour of my ute was gris (grey, a light grey to be more descriptive). I plan to go back to this colour, eventually.

The other idea I have rolling around is the "rat ute" concept [paint 'em in undercoat and never in gloss, have them mechanically perfect, modified, but not a show pony ... after all a ute is for working..... a magnet de chick is not the objective, having the ute to yourself is ....]

If not gris? Light blue has been done to death. Green is common.

My suggestion - gun metal grey - very aussie for the period, not original, but o' so cool.

friday403

sundance yellow, the 306 cabriolet colour

end of story.

'92 405 mi16

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

A nice deep red ??

Best colour (though I don't like it) I've found it a metalic gold .... You see, it never really looks dirty. The metalic gold colur always looks nice 'n' clean. Dark reds, blues and black look really nice ............ for about 5minutes after you wash them, then dirty again

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Fellow Frogger!

Default colors

blood orange looks pretty good on the 404 ute on north coast
    I am led to believe it was an original color
    beats sage grey(pale green) or shades of white

Default ute paint

Now were getting somewhere! My ute was the sage gray originally as well. I don't like metallic colours and I'm not keen on red as it has been done to death. The yellow and blue and green spectrum are the best in my mind. I saw a Beemer a few years back with a blue called laguna seca and it was a very nice loud medium blue. Keep the suggestions rolling. If you have a certain colour in mind, throw me a picture of it. Cheers!
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got thier shoes!

I used to have a 403 ute and that was a rich grass green colour, with red interior.

Looked pretty good to my eyes

Matthew

Default 403 green

Do you have any photos?

Default Blue 403 ute, and 404 Blue/white ute ...

Not to my taste but gives an indication of the effect:

http://busexplorer.com/WorldBus/MidSize/11Peugeot.html

friday403

Burgundy

Frog Green????????
    2005 Citroen C3 Exclusive Panoramique Hatchback.
    2004 Chrysler Crossfire Coupe.

Get an artist with a bit of spare time to airbrush the car with little spots just like a frog would have. That'd be the ultimate.

http://www.numa.com.au/gallery/photos/photo_29.html

You know it's kind of typical of the hotted up asian cars today, but having a metalic green that changes shade depending on the angle of viewing would be cool, but obviously a bugger to touch up.
    '96 306 xtdt
    '83 505 SRDT (440,000kms) - "Gertrude"
    '79 504 GLD (?x100,000 + 59,349kms) "Guinea Pug"

Rheims blue. very like Datsun Soft Blue [Dulux]...................French racing blue.................any French blue,... whatever....... give it character!!
    Ive re done my ute in renault red as it was too done in Sage grey originally.
    Burgundy/cream seats, cream trim and rear bulkhead and red carpets.

Do it any colour that you like................it dosen,t matter, you are inside the car and you only see the top of the bonnet and guards.

PS who owns the 505 in the garage just up from the Mitre 10 in Deloraine?

Bon chance

UFO

What about that Porsche 911 Green from the early 70s? There is a 2CV in Wollongong in that colour and it looks GREAT
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Default real aussies drive utes ...

DUY,

Don't let the pussies that drive sedans distract you ... it's a ute. Having a hoot, driving my ute .....

The object of a ute is its 'utility'. So a versatile colour that's easy to maintain and keep clean is a good start. It should be easy to colour match when you need it (yes it will get the odd scrape).

I've seen K-mart black (the spray job) and Kill-rust blue (the brush job) and both work but won't give you a car club trophy win.

If anyone suggests frog green feel free to flame them.

friday403

Default frog green

I don't know, frog green is sounding pretty good. I've seen some pretty cool greens on citroens over the years. I could really use some pictures. I need to find that software that lets you load all kinds of colours onto a digital picture of the car.

You could choose a print colour and doctor it up:

http://www.logodesignworks.com/pantone_color_chart.htm

Default I love a sunburnt country ...

Ah that looks more like it.
    That colour will cover the hay and manure that Ive thrown into mine over the years, but I still like the Reno Red.

Incidentally I had a " know all" tell me the chrome rings weren't original. Who changed the sales brochure then?

Bon Chance

Default 404 ute colours

I like the orange! I wonder if anyone out there has a list of colours the 404 ute came in. I only thought they came in the grey and brown and white. Anyone have any old literature?

Default 404 utes

DUY,

[We can't respond in the for sale section so I'll post here].

404 utes are popular with a very small sample of the frogger membership. Thus buying and selling one is not simple. If you find the right buyer (has money) at the right time (has spare space, missus not feral) then your in with a chance.

I'd keep yours and do it up at your convenience. Don't think about the cost, it'll only stress you.

Imagine the day you finish it all off .... heading for the French car day ... listening to some awesome Cajun blues sung in French (Clifton Chenier comes to mind).

These are moments to live for........

friday403

Default Ute

Thanks for the reassuring words, but I would still ahve a ute, just one thats a bit further along. I am going to find out tonight if I am to get this other one cheap enough to make it worth my while. I've tentaively sold my ute to a friend of mine so we'll see what happens. I'll keep you posted.

Thread Information