hello & help, please.....
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default hello & help, please.....

HI there......I am a new member & would love some feedback on what sort of tyres to get for 206..Michelin, again?
    also.....servicing of a car done 40,000......where to go, what to expect, what price to pay and so on.......in Brisbane....
    thanks AlleycatX

Advertisement

Search the forum for tyres but I like GT Radial Brand.. soft grippy and half the price of michelins... don't last long but value for the grip and safety for the low price

thanks....there sure is a lot about tyres!!! I was going to go to local Tyre place & get what they recommended, but felt I got ripped off by my car servicing, so thought I had better investigate further.
    Yes. I am a female, Yes it does happen!

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat
    OMG a girl with a peugeot

Hi,

Good tyres are very important and I think it's definitley worth spending a little more to get something good. As a recommendation the Goodyear Eagle F1's are a very good all round tyre. They give me a lot of confidence in the wet, it rains alot here in Melbourne.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Gay and Proud
    OMG a girl with a peugeot
    Small Peugeot's make great girl's cars!

thanks....there sure is a lot about tyres!!! I was going to go to local Tyre place & get what they recommended, but felt I got ripped off by my car servicing, so thought I had better investigate further.
    Hmm, I've fallen for alley cat already...

First things first. How to read a tyre placard? You may have seen figures such as 195/60/15 on the side of the tyre. All that means is the width (distance across the tread from one side of the tyre to the other) is 195 mm. The next figure is width of the sidewall (ie the part of the tyre with the writing on it) and is expressed in a percentage. In this case it is 60% of the width of the tread width. Now the next figure, the 15 is really confusing. It says the WHEEL is 15 inches wide. Yes that's right, it's all metric then they jump back to imperial.

Ok, normally small cars come out with smaller wheels (original 60's mini had 10" ) but these days nobody throws a car out with less than 13". Big cars come out with 15 or 16", silly V8 utes play 19 and 20".

Now for a variety of reasons people like to increase the size of their wheel, mainly for appearance reasons but also for superior handling (bigger wheels allows for wider tyres). The down side is the bigger the wheel the smaller the sidewall is (down to a percentage of 35% these days, citing the phrase, running on rubber bands) the harsher the ride will be. It is easy to forget the comfort afforded by tyres in these days of compliant and efficient suspensions, remember every shock from the road has to travel though the tyre first. A 'higher' sidewall means more air to control the shock.

Now tyre brands:

Michelins are dear as poison but give good life and are very respected. They (Michelin) also own BF Goodrich (made in same factory) so you might be able to get a cheaper version of the 'same tyre' if you shop around.

Avoid buying 'no name' tyres such as Sime , Aurora and suchlike. The two Korean giants are Hankook and Kumho, both make excellent tyres for a reasonable outlay. It just depends how you drive your Pug as to what you need to put on the road.

It may interest you to know there is only one tyre factory in Australia. It's called South Pacific tyres and is owned by Dunlop & Bridgestone. Why am I telling you this? Because ANY tyre that is marked 'made in Australia' comes from this factory, and effectively has a different tread casing on the same basic tyre. So locally made Dunlops, Bridgestones, Bob Jane all rounders, Kmart Elite tyres etc are all essentially the same tyre. Then it might come down to how you like your tread pattern to look or perhaps price?

Bridgestone owns Firestone, the latter being marketed as a cheaper tyre.

Some Pug fanatics like to keep their French cars on French rubber (ie Michelin) but that doesn't mean you have to. If you are just playing in the city and won't be driving your car hard I suggest either of the Koreans. If you fancy yourself as a wild girl behind the wheel have a look at the 'premium brands' such as the products of the aforesaid Michelin, Continental (rare), Dunlop, Bridgestone, Toyo, Yokohama, and Pirelli.

Enjoy your Pug!

Dave
    Last edited by 68 404; 25th February 2006 at 08:05 PM.
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Default YES! a female Pug owner & loving it!!!

OMG yes, I am female & since I mentioned that small fact, I suddenly got replies!!! That is sooo funny!
    Thankyou Dave your reply was the best, and really gives me something to go on.
    Thanks....
    Alley

OMG yes, I am female & since I mentioned that small fact, I suddenly got replies!!! That is sooo funny!
    Thanks....
    Alley
    Alley loves me the best

Dave
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Thanks....
    Alley
    It just show you that there are NO girls on here(I'm going to get shouted down here). and alot of panting guys. just mention the word girl/woman/female and you're swamped.

Tyres - i like Yoko's. Good performer, good life, and good price. My girlfriend has Pirelli P6000's on her 206GTi and although when it comes time to replace them I'll go something else they're not bad if not a little pricey.

What 206 have you got?

Tim

Default Stray Toms

Allycat Vs Stray Toms.

Firstly, welcome. We need a greater gender balance here so thanks for your presence.

Tyres are a very personal thing, the type of driving you do and the budget you have, will influence the tyres you might choose from.

Cheap tyres will always disappoint. Poor wear, death-trap performance in the wet and crappy balance are the usual result, (never ever get suckered into retreads).

A good starting point is to reference the original equipment tyre or its modern equivalent. Getting the opinion of fellow owners of the same model is also wise, (as you are doing).

68 404 has wise words on general choice. I would go the Michelin (MXV8) for a good all-round tyre, ($170 each though).

Avoid unidirectional tyres for general use, as "out and about" driving will wear the tyres unevenly and you should rotate the tyres and wheels at service intervals, (7-10,000 km). This will give you the maximum life out of the threads, (I get up to 80,000km out of the MXV8s). Driving habits have a huge influence on how long the tyres last.

As for servicing, seek advice from other 206 owners. Your local NRMA, RACV or equivalent may give you some idea of costs. As always ring around. The Peugeot dealers will have a set price for a standard service with extras added, (watch em none the less).

Here's one, get the manual and have a go at servicing the thing yourself.

Yowl at the window and I am sure one of the Toms on the forum will retract claws and lend a paw.....

OH, G & P
    OMG a with a Peugeot. Really, does gender or preference make any difference?
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Alley,

check out this thread for Brisbane service places: Service in Brisbane

And Gay and Proud,

Welcome aboard!

Dave
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655

I dont think I am the only one with claws!!!

I have a black 206XR 2001 model with a sunroof.
    I changed from a Lancer, which I loved, but the lancer was so cruisy compared to the 206! It just loves to be driven!!! and driven quite hard. Even male friends have been impressed, esp. a Subaru B4 owner who laughed when I suggested we have a drag....he drove it with bare feet, sunroof down, and music blaring, and was almost converted!!!

It reminds me a little of an Alfa I used to have.

Well I guess it doesnt matter who or what we are here, we have the love of Pugs in common, which I find just great. Thanks for your repsonses, I look forward to chatting with you all!

Yes, I could get a manual and "do it myself" but its more fun when someone else does it for you! LOL

meooowww!!!!

Alley

Yes, I could get a manual and "do it myself" but its more fun when someone else does it for you! LOL

meooowww!!!!

Alley

Black.

DIY, says he (me), who drives 100 miles to dig holes in the back yard of the mechanic's, while he fixes the 505.

At least I do the oil.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

I changed from a Lancer, which I loved, but the lancer was so cruisy compared to the 206! It just loves to be driven!!! and driven quite hard. Even male friends have been impressed, esp. a Subaru B4 owner who laughed when I suggested we have a drag....he drove it with bare feet, sunroof down, and music blaring, and was almost converted!!!

Well I guess it doesnt matter who or what we are here, we have the love of Pugs in common, which I find just great. Thanks for your repsonses, I look forward to chatting with you all!

meooowww!!!!

Alley
    I think we should paws for a moment and welcome Alley Cat to the Purrgeot forum. Driving a little Pug is a great feline, especially when going hard!

Have fun in the 206

Dave
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655

Default Michelin French?

I can't speak for the expensive Michelins ($170 a tyre ) but check the side wall of the cheaper models to see where they are made. I bought a set of some basic Michies for a Subaru I had a few years ago and they were made in China. My Citroen came with Michie XM1's on it and they are made in Thailand. Having said that the Citroens tyres perform well. The Michies I put on the Subaru were great in the dry but not the wet. Welcome aboard alleycat some input from the opposite sex will be welcome. The outlaws have a 206 but I haven't been offered a drive yet.

I've owned a few Peugeots, definitely one of the nicest cars to drive IMHO.
    Dom
    Xantia SX 1997
    Toyota Spacia 2000

Quote Originally Posted by dom19
    I can't speak for the expensive Michelins ($170 a tyre ) but check the side wall of the cheaper models to see where they are made. I bought a set of some basic Michies for a Subaru I had a few years ago and they were made in China. My Citroen came with Michie XM1's on it and they are made in Thailand. Having said that the Citroens tyres perform well. The Michies I put on the Subaru were great in the dry but not the wet. Welcome aboard alleycat some input from the opposite sex will be welcome. The outlaws have a 206 but I haven't been offered a drive yet.

I've owned a few Peugeots, definitely one of the nicest cars to drive IMHO.
    Dom
    Recent control tests showed that the actual country the factory was located in didn't matter, it was the design (and therefore brand) that made the diference. Michelins (and BFG) have been made in Thailand for some time now as well as France and both factories get good reviews. Many tyre companies are heading to China to save labour costs (and environmental problems...). They aren't going to ruin their good (and expensively nurtured) names by slackening off with their quality. There is too much competition in all market levels, so if they are a 'known' brand they can't afford to slip.

Dom, I think you summed it up too, using 'basic' Michelins on the Sube. The base model is always going to compete on price rather than performance I guess...

Dave
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655

also.....servicing of a car done 40,000......where to go, what to expect, what price to pay and so on.......in Brisbane....
    thanks AlleycatX
    Hi alleycat, welcome to

Unfortunately for you, the 40k service is a big one, with lots of bits that are scheduled to be changed (oil, air & fuel filters, spark plugs, oil change, coolant change, brake fluid change to list a few things) and is not cheap. A Sydney dealer would charge you anywhere in the vicinity of $800 for this. Thankfully it only happens every 40k.

A Brisbane dealer may be cheaper due to lower labour costs, but I wouldn't know any well enough to recommend them. Other Brisbanites would be more helpful in this regard. A trip south to Cullins at Nambour or Coles at Lismore would be cheaper again.

Of course you don't have to use a dealer for this (in order to keep your warranty, for example), so long as genuine bits are used and the service schedule is adhered to, but that is up to you Even if it is out of warranty (which I suspect it is), I think you should have the lot done anyway.

Another thing you may have to consider is the timing belt, which is an 80,000km or 4 year replacement item. The mob you take it to may ask you about this and it can also be around $400 in parts/labour as well

I guess cars aren't cheap to run
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by Drevlin
    it rains alot here in Melbourne.
    Didn't it just!! The water retarding basin here at uni went up 6 metres in 1 hour!!
    '96 306 xtdt
    '83 505 SRDT (440,000kms) - "Gertrude"
    '79 504 GLD (?x100,000 + 59,349kms) "Guinea Pug"

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404
    Recent control tests showed that the actual country the factory was located in didn't matter, it was the design (and therefore brand) that made the diference. Michelins (and BFG) have been made in Thailand for some time now as well as France and both factories get good reviews. Many tyre companies are heading to China to save labour costs (and environmental problems...). They aren't going to ruin their good (and expensively nurtured) names by slackening off with their quality. There is too much competition in all market levels, so if they are a 'known' brand they can't afford to slip.

Dom, I think you summed it up too, using 'basic' Michelins on the Sube. The base model is always going to compete on price rather than performance I guess...

Dave
    Dave I have had experiece with Michelin on my MI16 admitedly not recent Ie 7yrs ago.

On a wet road I acclerated slightly going around a corner the car ended up going well over the centre line on full lock. This was in the City!!!! Not driving hard at all.

This car in the wet could not take off and keep up with Hyundias from traffic lights cos of wheelspin!!!!

Then I found out that the car clubs (French) in east were having similar problems sometimes Michelin while not admitting there was a problem replacing French tyres on instead of Thailand manufacured ones.

I then checked my MI16 tyres
    Two on the front were Thailand and rear were made in France otherwise Identical tyres.

I swapped the tyres and suddenly my car gripped like glue in the wet.

A friend bought his wife a Subaru when I was in Tassie and she reported it went into a slide on wet road as she drove on first day. He removed the Michelins straight away. (At this stage I did not know to look at the country of origin)

I also would not have believed that Michelin would have risked their good name but from my direct experience they did just that.

My early carreer was in tyre sales and fitting and I have an interest in always putting the best tyre on a car I can within reason. My 406 has French Michelins and they are excellent.

I do agree with you that cheaper tyres be it any make are a compromise. I put some cheaper Pirellis on my Laguna thinking that Pirellis were good as these were same price as less well known brands. They were a terrible tyre and ruined the precision of the car. ( I learnt the hard way) Again these tyres were made I think it was indonesia. I put (Italian) Pirrelis on the MI16 and was pleased with them.

I may be in the market for new tyres soon for the 206GTI so would welcom more feedback on this issue of tyre selection.

Dave maybe things have changed in last seven years and they learnt to make tyres the same handle the same regardless of country of origin. Again if this is the case it will save me demanding the fittment of MADE in FRANCE tyres only to the dealers which I currently do.

Thanks for everyones input

Graelin
    Last edited by Graelin; 26th February 2006 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graelin
    I put French Pirrelis on the MI16 and was pleased with them.
    Imagine how the Italian ones would have performed
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Well spotted! We are awake! post ammended accordingly

Graelin

meooowww!!!!

Alley
    A female who used to own an Alfa, now owns one of the best handling car on the market, and know what a Subaru B4 is....

I like you already.

Tim

hmm, got to master this cut & paste thing in here....

re Simons comments on timing belt being replaced at 80,000 OR 4 years.
    Why is that?? The car has done only 40,000 & I thought it best to get the BIG service done, which was $705 in brissie.
    On looking at the invoice, there was an awful lot of "checking" done, yes, they replaced plugs, oil, filters etc...but wanted to charge an extra $75 for the power steering fluid,(shouldnt that have been included in the service???) and said I should have the Cam belt (is that the same as a timing belt???) replaced for another $600. I declined! (hey, got tyres to buy!!) and besides, why replace something that aint broke??
    So what is the 4 year thing? does a timing belt perish or something??

When I looked at the invoice, I noticed "fit Peugeot protection kit" so I asked what that was....and he said it was the car seat cover, & mat to keep the car clean while they work on it! That is so hilarious!! they charge you for them not dirtying your car!!! down the end of the page it states..."remove protection kit"

So, in amongst all this "checking..." I asked him, did they actually tune the car??? I mean it was a service wasnt it? He replied that the car should run better with new filters etc..and that most of it was electronically adjusted anyway. I actually dont notice any difference!!!

So, I guess I do not mind paying for decent service, but felt that over $400 labour costs (of the $705) was a bit extreme as any mechanic could check all these things, you wouldnt need to be specifically Peugeot trained. So thats my worth. I figured I will not go back to that place again, & try & find somewhere a bit more realistiically priced..

I think the fact that they have an "advisor" employed who does all the communication for you between owner & mechanic. it used to just be rock up & talk to the mechanic! also had a waiting room with coffee/tea available, so I guess we pay for all those things....

alleycat

hmm, got to master this cut & paste thing in here....

re Simons comments on timing belt being replaced at 80,000 OR 4 years.
    Why is that?? The car has done only 40,000 & I thought it best to get the BIG service done, which was $705 in brissie.
    On looking at the invoice, there was an awful lot of "checking" done, yes, they replaced plugs, oil, -------------place again, & try & find somewhere a bit more realistiically priced..

I think the fact that they have an "advisor" employed who does all the communication for you between owner & mechanic. it used to just be rock up & talk to the mechanic! also had a waiting room with coffee/tea available, so I guess we pay for all those things....

alleycat

My, my, a woman complaining.

Now that's something you don't get every day.

Welcome anyway.

Mike.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information