Hello!
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Hello!

Tadpole

Default Hello!

Hi everyone, this is my first post!

Advertisement

I am a proud owner of a 405 Mi16x4 and I love the car to bits. Its by far the sweetest car i have ever owned. Sadly at the moment its in the garage getting an electrical fault sorted, (the previous owner has somewhat butchered the wiring loom, but oh well), when i get it back i plan to get the inlet valves opened up, but what i want to know is it worth getting high performance cams fitted on the engine, am I correct in the assumption that the engine in this car is identical to that of the standard Mi16? I eventually want to get a new ECU (any suggestions?) and throttle bodies fitted. I am keeping this car for life, but want to make it just a little bit quicker!

I hope that i can keep refering back to the forums for any help in the future.

Thanks.

No, the engine isn't indentical. It has slightly bigger cams than the 2WD version and the ECU has a higher rev limit, 7400 instead of 7100. I wouldn't go to the expense of fitting bigger valves unless the head needed a complete rebuild. Fitting bigger valves to these engines really is a con, unless you do it properly and fit higher lift cams to make use of the extra flow. Plenty of head shops will offer the bigger valve option, but very few will get it to flow better than std. over the entire valve lift range.

Spending money on a better ECU is money well spent. Getting rid of the AFM and optimising the ignition unleashes some neddies and gives you plenty of options. If you want to retain the std. look, gut an AFM and fit an ECU that uses MAP sensing. I had a Haltech on mine for some time and it was very impressive. I've since fitted a 3 row Motronic 1.3, complete with O2 sensor. The throttle body option will yield an instant 20hp but push you to the limit of the standard injectors.

Even the 3 row ECU is a big improvement of the original 2 row. You'll be amazed at the extra torque.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Tadpole

Thanks for the reply. Am I correct in the belief that the 3 row Motronic 1.3 ECU was used on other Mi16 models? If so is it just a case of swapping one out for the other? I don't really have a vast amount of money to spend on the car at the moment, so is this the cheapest option to improve performance? Thanks.
    Last edited by Mi16x4-4-life; 27th February 2006 at 10:21 AM.

Thread Information