s1 205 GTi Master Brake Cylinder???
  • Register
  • Help

Default s1 205 GTi Master Brake Cylinder???

hi all, just a one question. my car on heavy braking will lock up its rear wheels instantly, but the front brakes are no where near as good, and hardly work, compared to the rears. Paul at Auto Paris reckons my master brake cylinder is not working properly and needs to be replaced.
    just wondering if any of u guys had any other ideas???

Advertisement

how much would you be paying for a new or re-conditioned master brake cylinder??? is $230 about right for a new one???

dave

way too much. More like $150 from AutoFrance. Not worth mucking around with an old one.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

thanks anyway peter, but im in melbourne. Are there any places around here for that price???

Try Caravelle at Box Hill North. One from Sydney is only a $10 Post bag away anyway. Stainless sleeving and kitting is usually around $110.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    02 and 03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    way too much. More like $150 from AutoFrance. Not worth mucking around with an old one.
    im sure they'd have not probs posting one(price is a lot better than Peugeot) and personally, especially when it comes to the braking system i'd never buy other than new. btw when did u last renew the brake fluid? also not wanting to add any extra expense but is there a way of testing the compensator for the rear brakes? are the front calipers ok? would the system need bleeding for any reason(recent work done)? im not questioning your mechanic, they're only things i'd look at if i had a similar problem before spending lottsa $$$.
    Puggy.

Quote Originally Posted by 205puggypower
    im sure they'd have not probs posting one(price is a lot better than Peugeot) and personally, especially when it comes to the braking system i'd never buy other than new. btw when did u last renew the brake fluid? also not wanting to add any extra expense but is there a way of testing the compensator for the rear brakes? are the front calipers ok? would the system need bleeding for any reason(recent work done)? im not questioning your mechanic, they're only things i'd look at if i had a similar problem before spending lottsa $$$.
    Puggy.
    the brake fluid was renewed yesterday (really dirty fluid came out) , and i dont think it is possible to test the rear brake compensator. the front calipers are ok, but im going to sand the front brake pads and the discs, hopefully this will make it better.

are the brakes on the 205 activated in two groups, eg. front left/rear right, front right/rear left. or is it just fronts on one circuit, and rears on another???

dave

Quote Originally Posted by gravy
    hi all, just a one question. my car on heavy braking will lock up its rear wheels instantly, but the front brakes are no where near as good, and hardly work, compared to the rears. Paul at Auto Paris reckons my master brake cylinder is not working properly and needs to be replaced.
    just wondering if any of u guys had any other ideas???

how much would you be paying for a new or re-conditioned master brake cylinder??? is $230 about right for a new one???

dave
    Buying a new master cyl will not fix this problem..
    I had the exact same shit with my 205 s1 re-con'ed the whole system and the brakes are still shitful, back lock up and front you have to put your foot through the firewall to get them to grab. their is something on the brake line to the back brakes that i have never seen before on any 504 505 . It does somthing i dont know what, but thats the only bit i dont know about and couldnt find out about so i gave up. if they lock up they will pass rego so thats all you really need.
    205GTi Peugeot 1988 Graphite Grey for sale $2500

Fellow Frogger!

The rear brake compensators don't work most of the time, but can adjusted manually, I am not sure how but my uncle had his done by his mechanic and the brakes have been transformed, might be worth having a look at this
    05' Megane 225 Cup

Replacing the master cylinder will not fix the problem. You will need to replace the compensators. If your master cylinder was playing up, you would be suffering from a spongy pedal.

Thanks everyone for your responses, ill have a look at the compensator.

dave

Thread Information