205 GTi Sunroof
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 205 GTi Sunroof

Tadpole

Default 205 GTi Sunroof

What do we think about non-standard sunroofs on 205GTis? Obviously the original 'moon-roof' is a fairly clumsy looking affair, but has it been designed this way for a structural reason?

Or is an aftermarket 'conventional' sunroof fine, if the work is carried out well?

Anybody have experience with this?

Advertisement

Any other opinions on the standard 'moon roof'?

Cheers

tt

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Tubbsy
    What do we think about non-standard sunroofs on 205GTis? Obviously the original 'moon-roof' is a fairly clumsy looking affair, but has it been designed this way for a structural reason?

Or is an aftermarket 'conventional' sunroof fine, if the work is carried out well?

Anybody have experience with this?

Any other opinions on the standard 'moon roof'?

Cheers

tt
    check with SamR as i know he has an aftermarket sunroof.
    Puggy.

Dont do it!

Please don't cut up a something as beautiful as a 205 GTI. Every 205 left needs to be preserved, its like saving the rainforest or the Platypus.

Anyway a sunroof will just reduce the rigidity of the car and in time the roof will make creeking noises under hard cornering, after market sunroofs are also natourious for causing rust to the surrounding roof area.
    Alexi 1988 205 GTI (Graphite Grey, series 1)

Tadpole

I should clarify, I don't want to do this myself, but I'm looking at a car that's had it done. I haven't seen it yet, so I can't comment on the quality of the work.

But as I said, the standard factory sunroof is pretty hideous, so I'm curious if its design has a structural benefit.

t

If your looking at buying a car with a non-standard sunroof look thoroughly around the edges of it for rust and chack the cabin for signs of water damage. Also open the doors and check the central pillar for cracks.

A car with a non-standard sunroof is worth less than an original car, plus insurance will be more expensive so if you do buy try and get the car for a good price.
    Alexi 1988 205 GTI (Graphite Grey, series 1)

Thread Information