Hi, I'm a new pug owner
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Tadpole

Default Hi, I'm a new pug owner

Hi I just bought an 88' 205 gti white classic. it has a few clanks...petrol gauge not working? smell of petrol in cabin? air con a bit weak? gearbox a bit tempermental but driving well, interior mint.

I really want to get the air conditionnig right. I know they are generaly weak in pugs but whats the cost involved in getting something done and where would I go . I'm in sydney.

Cheers ,jen

Advertisement

G'day jen. I'm sure if you take the car to your nearest Peugeot service department they will be able to get these problems fixed. Some of the guys her will chastise me about saying so because Peugeot service department isn't praised here. I have had no problems with them and I am sure they service the old 205's.

Nice choice in car!! It's great to see a girl buying a real car! None of this toyota corolla crap

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    Hi I just bought an 88' 205 gti white classic.
    Welcome to AF Jen.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Hi I just bought an 88' 205 gti white classic. it has a few clanks...petrol gauge not working? smell of petrol in cabin?

Cheers ,jen
    Welcome Jennifer.
    I didn't know there was white Classics, as I thought the only classics were Green and series 3.
    I recommend you get the petrol issues sorted out first, its dangerous and definately more critical.
    Do a search for pug garages in the search feature, they can fix your fuel & then take car of your A/C. - Chris

ps, BTW, the best a/c is windows down
    ... ptui!

Your aircon problems could be as simple as the system needing a regas - this shouldnt cost any more than around $40-50. More severe problems affecting your aircon (such as leaks) are less common (and more expensive). Either way, most mechanics can either fix it or refer you to someone reliable and capable of diagnosis. If the system still runs on freon gas - it may need retro-fitting to take the new kind - this may cost up to $300 - but may have already been done. Check underbonnet - usually a retro-fitter will place a decal on the system indicating the work has been done.

Fuel system leaks which can be detected by a scent in the cabin are quite often just a matter of a leaky hose, joint or o-ring seal somewhere along the fuel supply or return lines - especially around the fuel pump. These can usually be traced by any comepetent mechanic - so dont feel you have to return to the stealership to get this work done. Find a company you trust or have been referred to by others who trust said company.

Good luck and safe motoring - take care of that 205 : )
    Last edited by SydGTi6; 23rd February 2006 at 12:10 PM.
    Black Peugeot 306 GTi6, Sydney Australia
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/sydvr6

"Stealership" ! I'm gonna use that one!

Tadpole

Paul Vassalo in Gladesville has a great rep.

Cub

G'Day and Welcome,

I saw a girl in a 205 GTi pulling out of Delhi Rd last Friday and I was thinking "awesome to see the gals are getting into hot hatching as well" ... so congrats on the purchase and hope you have fun!
    CUB

Quote Originally Posted by SydGTi6
    Your aircon problems could be as simple as the system needing a regas - this shouldnt cost any more than around $40-50.

Good luck and safe motoring - take care of that 205 : )
    $40-50, whoa.... whos charging that? the cheapest ive seenof late, using R132 was a palce in Granville for $65+gst. $40-$50 sounds dodgy or wayy cheap. Its ussually about $80 as you should use a legal gas, do leak test and perform a gas temp analysis, if thier just throwing in whatever they have god only knows what thats going to do to your seals. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Fellow Frogger!

...smell of petrol in cabin? ...
    hi Jennifer, when i bought my pug 205 i also noticed a petrol smell inside. removed the rear seats and found that petrol was leaking from the fuel pump hoses as i turned the key(to start the fuel pump). on visual inpection they looked fine but when i removed the hoses they were desintegrating on the inside. (#7 in the pic)
    Puggy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hi, I'm a new pug owner-fuel-piping.gif  

Quote Originally Posted by 205puggypower
    hi Jennifer, when i bought my pug 205 i also noticed a petrol smell inside. removed the rear seats and found that petrol was leaking from the fuel pump hoses as i turned the key(to start the fuel pump). on visual inpection they looked fine but when i removed the hoses they were desintegrating on the inside. (#7 in the pic)
    Puggy.
    I'd listen to this, sounds dangerous. Give it a check, could get worse

Tadpole

My old Alfa Sprint always had a nice petrol smell inside. This came standard from the factory I believe.

Try a non EFI 12A Rotary RX7

Quote Originally Posted by CHRI'S16
    $40-50, whoa.... whos charging that? the cheapest ive seenof late, using R132 was a palce in Granville for $65+gst. $40-$50 sounds dodgy or wayy cheap. Its ussually about $80 as you should use a legal gas, do leak test and perform a gas temp analysis, if thier just throwing in whatever they have god only knows what thats going to do to your seals. - Chris
    OK here we go - hair splitting time - Maybe you read my previous post really quickly? : )

I said a simple regas should only cost $40 - $50, assuming no retrofit is needed (meaning R134 can be used straight off). I used the word 'should' cost. Refrigerant gas isnt expensive at all, but Sydney workshops would probably find a reason to charge more.

I also said that a leaking system would be more expensive. I mentioned retro-fitting so that the new 'legal' gas can be used. Retro-fitting (if not done already) is required where a system still runs R12. The seals and dryer units are upgraded to handle R134.

R12 is no longer legal and not very available and its scarcity dictates that it usually only gets (unofficially) used in stuff which is kind of important.

Now lets talk about why systems leak.
    Most systems will lose gas over 4-5 years or more (unless they comprise solid lines). Every 1 ft of rubber hose in your system will up to leak around 1oz of gas per year - particularly if you dont use your A/C often enough -the hose gets brittle because it isnt being lubricated - so even in winter it pays to turn the a/c on once a month or more. The lubricants inside the system may also settle if the A/C isnt used regularly.

If your A/C is leaking its possible that the rubber lines in it will need replacement and sheathing (ie: they will get that shiny silver stuff wrapped around them : ) this wouldnt be too expensive.

205puggypower - the fuel system diagram you included is excellent - this shows what is more than likely causing the smell in Jen's 205 ; ) This is common in a lot of cars where the fuel pump is sunk into the fuel tank and accessible thru the hatch floor.

PS: If your car is already retrofitted for R134 you could risk the initial outlay on a re-gas then try using the a/c regularly see whether you stay cool : )
    Last edited by SydGTi6; 23rd February 2006 at 02:10 PM.

Tadpole

OMG guys!!! I may have got my long awaited peugeot but I'm afraid I have a bit to go in getting under the bonnet e.c.t. I think I will leave it to a mechanic but have to save up a few scoobies first!

I purchased the car for a grand of an old guy ,who didn't realise what kind of car he had. He was the only owner. It came with service books for its complete history. Just serviced in October. Immaculate interior,bit of sun damage to exterior but runs great.It came with original manual and yes it is a white classic, I'm not totally in on all the pug history but thats what it says here...

It will be a while before I can save the money to see to petrol smell...hope I don't combust eeekkk on the highway...140km...daren't push it more..

why doesn't this group have workshops on how to maintain pugs and do these jobs...I hate giving it to a garage, don't trust them.Maybe I'll call a mobile mechanic..

BTW my mate is selling peugeot 205 gti 89 on ebay 3,000 reserve...

I purchased the car for a grand of an old guy ,who didn't realise what kind of car he had. He was the only owner. It came with service books for its complete history. Just serviced in October. Immaculate interior,bit of sun damage to exterior but runs great.It came with original manual and yes it is a white classic, I'm not totally in on all the pug history but thats what it says here...
    A grand!!!!!! I'd buy a 205GTi tomorrow if I could pick one that was half decent up for that much... let alone a 1 owner, full history one!!!!!! Great buy there!
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Tadpole

I know my cousin who is crazy about pugs came to check it out, he was bursting with excitment at price and condition but played it cool and got him down on asking price 1200. I think thats unheard of in gti world!

I honestly think you'll be surprised at how cheap the fuel leak will be to fix.
    Grab a quote. If its an easy one to trace & only requires the replacement of a rubber seal or short length of hose, you could be looking at an hour's labour and a small part. Seriously : )

As for 'workshops on how', why dont you go into a bookshop and see if you can order a service manual? They have step by step instruction and diagrams & usually tell you whether a beginner could attempt a job or whether its more tedious (ie: Haynes manuals have a spanner rating - the more spanners the harder it is : )
    Last edited by SydGTi6; 23rd February 2006 at 04:36 PM.

Tadpole

Well, i have nothing to loose in getting a few prices I guess. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by SydGTi6
    OK here we go - hair splitting time - Maybe you read my previous post really quickly? : )

I said a simple regas should only cost $40 - $50, assuming no retrofit is needed (meaning R134 can be used straight off). I used the word 'should' cost. Refrigerant gas isnt expensive at all, but Sydney workshops would probably find a reason to charge more.
    No need to split hairs, I beleive you. Just wanted to know which workshop is doing this. 134 or 123 (or even12 if some one still has some) is about $36+gst at wholesale per/Kg, so maybe all the shops I buy gas from are ripping me off... - Chris
    ... ptui!

Tadpole

hi, not to get away from topic...but I'd like to get white wheels and new tyres what size do I go for? i can't get till end of march... but what to check prices

thanks

hi, not to get away from topic...but I'd like to get white wheels and new tyres what size do I go for? i can't get till end of march... but what to check prices

thanks
    On AF most of prefer the look of genuine peugeot rims on a 205. Look in the for sale section, most wheels from a 306, 405 etc fit so there is a fair range. Subtle classy look is prefered, nochrome stuff either.
    Also stick to 16" wheels or smaller (15" is ideal) as 17's are a poor fit & make the car a bit of a pig to drive on sydney roads. - Chris
    ... ptui!

Hi jennifer and welcome to aussiefrogs.

You will have a hard time finding white wheels for your pug - pugs use a different stud pattern to most of the japanese cars around that you see with huuge custom rims. They do occasionally popup though on places like ebay or watch the parts for sale section here. If you wanted to get them new, i'd say you'd be looking at some pretty costly wheels as they'd generally either need to be custom drilled for you or specially imported.

As for your mechanical niggles - PLEASE dont use a mobile mechanic (or pretty much any generic mechanic)!! If you can, find a mechanic who has worked on these cars before (again - have a look at the top of the pug forum for a list of sydney pug mechanics who are good and trustworthy - my pick would Paul Vasalo in gladesville).

A mechanic who knows the car well will be able to fix any problems quicker and better than a mobile mechanic as most of the time, they will have encountered the problem before and know what to do/look for.

Kriss
    1992 mi16 1.9 litre - it's a love hate realtionship.

whatever you do NEVER tell anyone your car is reliable. doesn't matter how much wood you touch!

previous cars: peugeot 306xt, peugeot 205si, renault 20, renault 12 - sedan and wagon, renault 25, alfa 155 twin spark

these gti6 wheels would have looked great on your 205

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PEUGEOT-306-A...QQcmdZViewItem

fuel smells can come from a number of places, it has happened to me from a broken boot seal before

might want to check the hatch seal

LARRY'S EL CHEAPO ROD SHOP - price list : )

New white wheels for Peugeot 205 GTi with tyres: $1200

Repairs to leaky Fuel System: $120

Straight regas of air-conditioning: $60

Driving a 205 GTi with no explosive fuel smells and a nice cool cabin?

PRICELESS : )

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information