Disarming the passenger airbag in a 206 GTi?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Disarming the passenger airbag in a 206 GTi?

I'm trying to do the impossible and have a baby and still keep the GTi as the family truckster. I've been trying a baby capsule in the back and its not gonna work, too difficult trying to manuover it around to get in and out without rear doors, so I'm now thinking of having the baby capsule in the front passenger seat, and my partner will ride behind me.

Anyways, to do this I have to disarm the passenger airbag, according to the manual there is a switch next to the steering column but this is covered over in my car - is it possible to disarm the passenger airbag??

Advertisement

Please save me from the threat of a Mazda 3...
    PugPugPug

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by marky
    I'm trying to do the impossible and have a baby and still keep the GTi as the family truckster. I've been trying a baby capsule in the back and its not gonna work, too difficult trying to manuover it around to get in and out without rear doors, so I'm now thinking of having the baby capsule in the front passenger seat, and my partner will ride behind me.

Anyways, to do this I have to disarm the passenger airbag, according to the manual there is a switch next to the steering column but this is covered over in my car - is it possible to disarm the passenger airbag??

Please save me from the threat of a Mazda 3...
    I have heard of this being made possible in some Cits as an after purchase modification. Check with your authorised dealer. I believe a key is involved to turn the switch as and when required. I have seen these types of switches in Euro spec models. May be something in ADRs that prevent this being available at sale.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

As a father of FOUR I think having any young child ride in the front seat of any car is very irresponsible...

Centre rear is the best place for precious cargo with near side rear and off side rear following in that order...

I also have a feeling that it is ilegal to fit a baby capsule in the front of a car... and in contravention of ADR's but an authorised fitting station or the RTA would confirm this.

Child restraint anchorage points are all desgind for rear seat mounted safety devices so fitting one in the front seat would be in contravention of the design principals... does a 206 even have one???

It's a shame that in this instance a car seems to be more important than the optimal safety of a child... don't mean to be harsh .... but
    BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Z
    As a father of FOUR I think having any young child ride in the front seat of any car is very irresponsible...

Centre rear is the best place for precious cargo with near side rear and off side rear following in that order...

I also have a feeling that it is ilegal to fit a baby capsule in the front of a car... and in contravention of ADR's but an authorised fitting station or the RTA would confirm this.

Child restraint anchorage points are all desgind for rear seat mounted safety devices so fitting one in the front seat would be in contravention of the design principals... does a 206 even have one???

It's a shame that in this instance a car seems to be more important than the optimal safety of a child... don't mean to be harsh .... but
    Thanks, yeah I guess you're right about the issue of safety, although I'm not sure about the legality of it - in all the literature I've read (from the council and RACV) I haven't seen anything that straight out says "Illegal", but regardless, I'll definately be having it checked out if I thought to go down this path.

And nah, its not about car being more important than baby, certainly not, being an almost 1st time father its just not something I have thought about. But I do appreciate the eye opener mate, I'll be discussing this further with my partner and look at other solutions... and just to defend my novice paternal skills, we were only just looking at this arvo and I thought "I'll pop onto aussiefrogs and ask", certainly not something I've been planning for ages or anything.
    PugPugPug

Cheers Marky...

Very gracious reply... I was hoping you didn't take my comments the wrong way so thanks!

As I said we have FOUR... and they are precious... bloody impractical and a pain in the A!se... none the less...

Good luck with it all ... !
    BX TZI Hatch
    BX TRI Hatch
    GS C-Matic

It is against all ADR to turn off the passengers airbag. No auto manufacture that comply with this rule have this switch....If a vehicle does have this switch and you are in an accident (heaven forbid), kiss you insurance goodbye.

It doesnt say its illegal to have a baby capsule in the front seat...........................BUUUUUUUUUT........ ..

It DOES say that you MUST fit the capsule in a seat equiped with the correct anchor, sooooooooooo this would meen that the front seat would be an illegal possition in this particular car........

but once the capsule's in its in isnt it (lots of its and ins in that sentance ) surely you would only be taking little Bub in and out of the car and not the whole capsule?

on a less serious note, easy solution!!!!!!!!!!! buy a 505 wagon, you can fit SIX capsules in the back (six anchors) one for each day of the week, or maybe 5 more kids!?!?!.....LOL LOL

(are you planning on haveing more then one baby?) this could be an excuse for a shinny new V6 407 wagon! (sorry, im partial to the wagons then the little 206's)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Go to your local place that fits car seats. You will find the reversable seats will *not* fit. They do not fit in the Xantia in any position other than middle... You may find getting a baby capsule and forward facing will work without an issue.

We have another babie on the way (due in july). Sophie is in a forward facing seat now so I can move that seat to the *PASSENGER SIDE* (this is criticle, you do NOT want to risk a child jumping out on the *traffic side* of the car). We will have to get another rear or front facing seat and move it to the middle position again. Will the sit in forward facing (ie: baby laying down) position fit in the middle part of your hatch ??

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Marky,

Congratulations on impending fatherhood, first of all. I think it's very astute of you to be asking the question in advance, but I'm afraid that anyone who's on the other side of that divide that presently separates you both from parenthood -- "watershed" has maybe never been a more appropriate word -- would agree that it certainly doesn't get easier as they grow, and their requirements don't get any LESS, and the sooner you confront the reality that your exclusively-3-door days are (at least temporarily) over , the better ...

Whether it's legal or not -- and I'm pretty sure it's not -- it's certainly unwise to put a carseat in the front, where it's not possible to monitor a baby's condition from one moment to the next. So a fitter purpose for this thread might be to canvass the question, "where do we go from here"? ... and whatever the answer is, it's bound to involve at least four doors ...

If it has to be a Pug, a 306 or 307 could do it (or even a "lesser" 206), but you're on your way to at least 20 years of being Mr Practical, and I'm tipping that something Japanese is probably going to end up looking more attractive -- or ar least, more functional -- and less expensive to maintain, from that point of view.
    MY15 208GTi

previously:
    MY10 Sportium HDi6 and 1.6L auto
    MY99 206GTi
    MY96 306XSi auto
    MY02 Clio 1.4L auto

1ťre grenouille:
    MY5? Simca Aronde 90A

QUICK! MORE BREAD, MORE CIRCUSES!!

Thanks, yeah I guess you're right about the issue of safety, although I'm not sure about the legality of it - in all the literature I've read (from the council and RACV) I haven't seen anything that straight out says "Illegal", but regardless, I'll definately be having it checked out if I thought to go down this path.
    As others have said, a baby capsule has to be attached to a proper anchor point, and that is only in the back on a 206. You can then decide whether it's illegal or not to put a capsule in the front seat Also, as the anchor point is at the back of the boot (just in front of the beaver panel) it then makes it awkward to load the boot up, as a tethered strap will be in the way whenever a baby capsule is fitted. Shopping bags, etc. will be ok, but bulky items will not

Also, as per ADRs, it's illegal in this country to de-activate the front passenger airbag, and all models imported properly have this de-activation feature removed. The "Australian Supplement" that is supposed to be supplied with your handbook goes on about all this stuff too, from memory. I think it's the first part of the Service book in recent Peugeots.

Also, it's one of the quirks of the ADRs (correct me if I'm wrong...) that the new-fangled "ISOFIX" mounts in Europe (that the 307 has, I believe) are also not good enough - again the anchor point is king

This pages may be of some interest:

RACV blurb

Questions about Child Restraints (VicRoads)
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Well Matt with the Xsara VTS has 3kids I think he said in the back of his 2door hatch. He had two carseats back there, so you must be able to get a capsule in the centre position.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Thanks everyone for the advice.
    I did think for a while "yup I can keep the 206, 2 doors will be a hassle but we'll cope". but hey who am I kidding!! - myself apparently.

Oh well, I'll have to make sure I go for one last good fang in the babe before I pass on my well loved, and well used, GTi.

Any opinions? Mazda 3, Impreza RX, Corolla, Astra... Personally I don't care for any of them....
    PugPugPug

I did think for a while "yup I can keep the 206, 2 doors will be a hassle but we'll cope". but hey who am I kidding!! - myself apparently.

Oh well, I'll have to make sure I go for one last good fang in the babe before I pass on my well loved, and well used, GTi.

Any opinions? Mazda 3, Impreza RX, Corolla, Astra... Personally I don't care for any of them....
    Xantia CT turbo Activa (it'll quicker point to point and far more comfortable than the 206) Oh bugger it, getcha self a C5 HDi family wagon

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Congratulations on your impending purchase of a V6 406! And when are you going to marry this nice girl whose bearing your baby?

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

You could always go for a 307 if you want to keep a Peugeot. The 307 touring has a massive luggage area - perfect for carting around strollers, toys, etc etc.

If you wanted to stay euro have a look at a golf. The GTI is brilliant if you dont mind a long wait for a new one (providing the budget stretches that far) My sister has had comfortline/trendline MkV golf's as loaners when her gutless little 1.4 polo is in getting serviced (methinks they are trying to convince her to upgrade) and they are a pretty nice thing to drive too.

That said I've got friends who have the Mazda 3 and they both love them. The Impreza is a sound car with it's AWD. The Astra... I've heard people say stay away from them and others love em... Hard to tell really!

Congrats on becoming a future dad too!
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Quote Originally Posted by gti138
    If you wanted to stay euro have a look at a golf. The GTI is brilliant if you dont mind a long wait for a new one (providing the budget stretches that far) My sister has had comfortline/trendline MkV golf's as loaners when her gutless little 1.4 polo is in getting serviced (methinks they are trying to convince her to upgrade) and they are a pretty nice thing to drive too.
    On that note when I was narrowing down my list of cars it came down to a 2.0TDi MkV Golf and the GTi180. The smart logical choice would've been the Golf (economy, huge size inside the car, very safe chassis, spare tyre they were gonna throw in free servicing too), however as I was an unmarried man with no impending children I chose the GTi180 for it's own redeeming characteristics anyone who has driven one will know about.

So to cut a long story short, the 2.0TDI Golf was a wonderful car and well suited to parenthood with the added Euro class.

Failing that I'm pretty partial to the Impreza sport wagons, or a 307, or Megane.

Good luck and Congrats on your first child and with the car choice.
    '05 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180

Quote Originally Posted by ewen75
    however as I was an unmarried man with no impending children I chose the GTi180 for it's own redeeming characteristics anyone who has driven one will know about.
    Hence why I have a 206 GTi at the moment. Single, high disposable income, no mortgage etc. Now as a married, mortgaged person I bet my next car wont have 2 doors! The only reason I didnt get the 180 is that it was about a year away when I bought my car.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Thread Information