Nah, I won't need a spare tyre (GTi180)
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Member ewen75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    64

    Default Nah, I won't need a spare tyre (GTi180)

    Pigs arse !!

    So I got home from a big night at the casino last night, went to drive my car (about 6pm) and the rear tyre is flat (there's a nail stuck in there).

    Advertisement


    Having a spare would be handy about now too, saturday night and all.
    '05 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! Dr_Pug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ewen75
    Pigs arse !!

    So I got home from a big night at the casino last night, went to drive my car (about 6pm) and the rear tyre is flat (there's a nail stuck in there).

    Having a spare would be handy about now too, saturday night and all.
    Did the pressure kit not save you? Did you have to pug assist to have it towed?

    You might want to check this thread out about an alternative spare.

    Cheap alternative for a 180 spare rim
    04' GTi 180

  3. #3
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    328

    Default

    Pity peugeot decided to go without the spare. They had such a good design with the 205 and 505 (and I guess most other older pugs, but I haven't changed a wheel on anything else).
    None of this unloading the boot business (think raining night on a road trip - wet luggage!). 30 seconds and you're ready to jack-up the car and pull the ole switcheroo!
    '96 Peugeot 405 SRDT Station Wagon

    '71 Peugeot 504 GL - gone

    '91 Peugeot 205si - gone

  4. #4
    Member ewen75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Luckily it was in my driveway, so didn't need a tow.

    I've got a mate who owns a goodyear, he'll see me right monday morning.

    I'm kinda spewin though as we're going up to Mt Barker tomorrow and I would've loved to have taken the Pug.

    I might have to see about a spare, thanks for the link.
    '05 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180

  5. #5
    Member dpcgti180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    hobart
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Did you use the can?
    05 206 GTI 180
    04 407 ST
    94 306 XT

  6. #6
    XTC
    XTC is offline
    VIC: a fine driving state XTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Location Location Location
    Posts
    8,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrain
    Pity peugeot decided to go without the spare.
    Only in the GTI180 and 206CC (other 206's have a spare).

    ewen75, a genuine 180 rim is expensive, a space saver will get you out of "most" troubles in the suburbs (speed limited to 80kph).

    - xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......




    '02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

  7. #7
    Member ewen75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpcgti180
    Did you use the can?
    Yes i used the can. However I didn't (as instructed in the manual) either deflate the tyre first, or remove the nail and it appears to have worked fine. A day and a half and it's still inflated.

    I could still hear the air leak out of the tyre right after I'd used the can for a few minutes, then I walked away, came back some time later and the leaking noise had stopped and the tyre appeared still quite inflated. I added a bit more air/foam from the can and it's been fine now for a few days. Even though I've only driven it to the shops and back twice (about a 1-2k round trip).

    I'll look at getting a 206 standard steelie or space saver as an option in case this happens again.
    '05 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180

  8. #8
    Member dpcgti180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    hobart
    Posts
    97

    Default

    So let me get this straight.

    You used the can,
    You ignored some key elements in the instructions for using the can
    You found that even though the you ignored the instructions the can still worked

    SO,

    you wish to complain that the COMPACT and LIGHT can worked satisfactorily and you have now decided that you are going to buy a LARGE HEAVY wheel to replace it !

    WOW , yu is real smart man
    05 206 GTI 180
    04 407 ST
    94 306 XT

  9. #9
    XTC
    XTC is offline
    VIC: a fine driving state XTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Location Location Location
    Posts
    8,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ewen75
    I'll look at getting a 206 standard steelie or space saver as an option in case this happens again.
    A 14" standard 206 Steelie will not fit over the front brake discs, a 15" Steelie will just (with 3-4mm to spare), you should look for a 16" if possible. Only 16" that you will find in steel that suits is a C4 16" steel rim, but new they cost $180 trade price .. Ouch !!

    - xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......




    '02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

  10. #10
    Member ewen75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpcgti180
    So let me get this straight.

    You used the can,
    You ignored some key elements in the instructions for using the can
    You found that even though the you ignored the instructions the can still worked

    SO,

    you wish to complain that the COMPACT and LIGHT can worked satisfactorily and you have now decided that you are going to buy a LARGE HEAVY wheel to replace it !

    WOW , yu is real smart man
    Well actually not quite. The reason I didn't follow the instructions to the letter was that when Peugeot rotated my rear tyres (due to the fact that when fitted at factory or whatever reason they were rotating the wrong way) they didn't put back the wheel lock remover and so I couldn't remove the rear wheel to remove the nail.

    Also didn't actually complain at all the can worked, I bought the car knowing it didn't have a spare, but if I had a spare sitting in the garage i would've been able to use my car on the weekend more than reluctantly driving to the local shop and relying on getting a lift somewhere, hence wanting a spare for any future problems with tyres.

    But I appreciate the IQ test dpcgti180.
    '05 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180

  11. #11
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Hey fellas

    I carry around a tyre puncture repair kit in the back of my car and keep the tyre-in-a-can as a last option. The kit contains a tyre repair kit that you can buy from most auto stores, the same stuff a mechanic would use to plug your tyres if you came up to em with a flat. And I also carry one of those compact air compressors you can pick up at supercheap for about $15.

    Might be a good alternative to carrying a whole spare wheel.

    Cheers
    Bad_Karma

    "The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

  12. #12
    1000+ Posts kermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Inner city, Brisbane
    Posts
    2,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bad_karma
    I carry around a tyre puncture repair kit in the back of my car and keep the tyre-in-a-can as a last option. The kit contains a tyre repair kit that you can buy from most auto stores, the same stuff a mechanic would use to plug your tyres if you came up to em with a flat. And I also carry one of those compact air compressors you can pick up at supercheap for about $15.
    I would think the can of goop would be easier to administer on the side of the road than trying to repair a puncture. Tyre shops take the tyre of the rim when repairing punctures, you won't be doing that on the side of the road.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

    Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

    My Flickr Photos

    206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

  13. #13
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kermit
    I would think the can of goop would be easier to administer on the side of the road than trying to repair a puncture. Tyre shops take the tyre of the rim when repairing punctures, you won't be doing that on the side of the road.
    This kit doesnt require taking the tyre off the rim. The link below showsone in use. I got one of these kits in the back of my car just in case. The good thing about this setup is that you dont have to replace the tyre as you would with the tyre in a can.

    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PUNCTURE-TYRE...QQcmdZViewItem
    Bad_Karma

    "The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

  14. #14
    Member dpcgti180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    hobart
    Posts
    97

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ewen75
    Well actually not quite. The reason I didn't follow the instructions to the letter was that when Peugeot rotated my rear tyres (due to the fact that when fitted at factory or whatever reason they were rotating the wrong way) they didn't put back the wheel lock remover and so I couldn't remove the rear wheel to remove the nail.

    .
    Oh, I see now!

    So, since you were unable to remove the wheel from the car you wanted spare wheel!

    How exactly were you going to attatch it without removing the other wheel?

    Man, if i were you i'd be mighty pissed about that can!
    05 206 GTI 180
    04 407 ST
    94 306 XT

  15. #15
    Member ewen75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Getting a little excited there Princess?

    Thanks to everyone else who offered constructive and informative input into this thread, very much appreciated.
    '05 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180

  16. #16
    sans witticism SLC206's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    North Parramatta
    Posts
    3,997

    Default

    Gee, these 180 wheels can really stir the blood

    Anyway, so now that we've established you used the inflatey foam, what are your thoughts? Is it a good method of resuming your journey (ignoring the fact that you were parked at home at the time...), and have you since had the puncture repaired properly?

    I've never used one, and I'm dying to know why some people (maybe even the manual - I can't remember) say that the tyre must be replaced afterwards. Also (the all important question) how much is a replacement can?
    Regards,

    Simon

    2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

    www.peugeotclub.asn.au

  17. #17
    Member ewen75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    64

    Default

    It did what it needed to do, that is sealed the hole and got me going as far as I needed to get it fixed.

    The chap who fixed my tyre (friend of mine, owns his own Goodyear Centre) said something about the sidewalls of the tyre can be damaged after driving when the foam is used? After inspecting the tyre he repaired it, advised it should be fine and off I went.

    It was a drill bit that punctured the tyre by the way.
    '05 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180

  18. #18
    sans witticism SLC206's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    North Parramatta
    Posts
    3,997

    Default

    Cheers for that. I've always been a little suspicious of the "written off tyre" theory myself.

    I still wonder what sidewall damage it could do.
    Regards,

    Simon

    2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

    www.peugeotclub.asn.au

  19. #19
    XTC
    XTC is offline
    VIC: a fine driving state XTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Location Location Location
    Posts
    8,566

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    Cheers for that. I've always been a little suspicious of the "written off tyre" theory myself.
    They just play on the safe side, don't want to get sued.

    - xTc -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......




    '02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

  20. #20
    Member dpcgti180's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    hobart
    Posts
    97

    Default

    You dont get it,

    The amount of complaints and whinging about the cans that do their job fine is incredible.

    Keeping a spare in your shed is fine but really who is gonna drive around on a steely. Might as well just use the can till you get it repaired.

    If there was a spare in the car it would no doubt be a cheesecutter thus making it less effective,more difficult and more time consuming than a can.

    If i had a choice when i bought it i would have stayed with the can.

    But for **** sake, stop complaining about a spare in a can item that outperformed any other realistic option.

    Take a look in most peoples boots and you will probably find an underinflated bald tyre anyway. I'd swap them for a can too
    05 206 GTI 180
    04 407 ST
    94 306 XT

  21. #21
    sans witticism SLC206's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    North Parramatta
    Posts
    3,997

    Default

    I'm resigned to the can (if ever it's needed) but I do possess a full-size alloy rim (complete with old P7000) for sidewall failures if required. I never carry it with me, save for the trip to Adelaide I made last year for Rendezvous Adelaide

    The can is definitely the preferred option for me, depending on the failure of course

    If it had happened in my driveway (and I didn't really need the car) I would have just removed the wheel and bludged a lift to a tyre place.
    Regards,

    Simon

    2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

    www.peugeotclub.asn.au

  22. #22
    Member ewen75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpcgti180
    You dont get it,

    The amount of complaints and whinging about the cans that do their job fine is incredible.

    Keeping a spare in your shed is fine but really who is gonna drive around on a steely. Might as well just use the can till you get it repaired.

    If there was a spare in the car it would no doubt be a cheesecutter thus making it less effective,more difficult and more time consuming than a can.

    If i had a choice when i bought it i would have stayed with the can.

    But for **** sake, stop complaining about a spare in a can item that outperformed any other realistic option.

    Take a look in most peoples boots and you will probably find an underinflated bald tyre anyway. I'd swap them for a can too
    Who's complaining about the can? I think someone needs a Vallium.

    For a near brand new $300+ tyre I wouldn't want to risk driving around on it over a whole weekend in case of permanent damage, and in my given situation a spare tyre kept in the garage would've been IMHO a better option for me for my day to day car. So before reading into peoples post and then firing up I suggest you actually understand what they're getting at, and get a fkn sense of humour.

    This, apart from yourself, was an interesting conversation for most as to the actual experience of someone who had to use the can. And again I appreciated peoples constructive input in what I thought was a forum for helping people out with an interest in french cars.
    '05 Aegean Blue 206 GTi 180

  23. #23
    Fellow Frogger! Dr_Pug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XTC
    A 14" standard 206 Steelie will not fit over the front brake discs, a 15" Steelie will just (with 3-4mm to spare),
    - xTc -
    That is not true it is more like 3-4 cm of space between the caliper and the rim when fitting a 15 inch steelie on the front and there is no rubbing against the rim or inner skirts.

    If you think that 3-4 cm isnt enough, you could always put the 17inch on the front and the 15inch on the back
    Last edited by WRC180; 20th February 2006 at 10:45 PM.
    04' GTi 180

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •