504 - Problem with Blowing Fuses
  • Register
  • Help

Default 504 - Problem with Blowing Fuses

My 1979 504 GL is consistently blowing fuses on the circuit protected by the middle fuse (Haynes p. 191 Fuse #4). It protects the following: Flashers, Instruments -fuel, water and current; brake safety light; oil pressure warning light; heater motor. I can put a new fuse in, try the flashers etc. and all is fine. After driving 10 - 30kms. For no apparent reason the fuse is gone again!
    Anyone had a similar problem and found a solution??
    Peter

Advertisement
    Last edited by PeterR; 18th February 2006 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterR
    My 1979 504 GL is consistently blowing fuses on the circuit protected by the middle fuse. It protects the following: Flashers, Instruments -fuel, water and current; brake warning light (handbrake). I can put a new fuse in, try the flashers etc. and all is fine. After driving 10 - 30kms. For no apparent reason the fuse is gone again!
    Anyone had a similar problem and found a solution??
    Peter
    This is a long shot but I think that fuse also does the thermofan. This would explain why it blows after 10 - 30 km. The engine is hot and the fan comes on. Check the wiring at the sensor on the radiator and the fan. The brush could also be worn out. You could also short out the two terminals on the radiator switch and see if the fan locks up or the fuse blows.

Jarrod

Thread Information