205 GTI - sensor probs.
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 205 GTI - sensor probs.

Whilst driving engine RPM drops (ie. 4000rpm to 500rpm) and then rises and is fine. Never stalls just complete loss of power and revs. Happens once or twice each time i drive.

Diagnostics indicates a air flow meter error($350) and a o2 sensor error ($130).

The car is more than driveable but what do you guys think would be the cause? Would both be stuffed at the same time?

thanx,
    tom

Advertisement

Tadpole

Update: Car now stalled on start up with a k light(i think) glowing. What does the k light mean. Sensor problems?

I restarted after stall and it was struggling sometimes when idelling and was threatening to stall on me. I then turned the engine off and restarted and the engine seemed fine for the little time that it was running and the light had gone away. ???

Had a quick search while at work (bad boy) and couldn't find anything. Probably my search criteria

thanks,
    tom

Fellow Frogger!

ok as trivial as it may sound my 205 was having similar sounding probs. the spark plugs were stuffed so replaced them(ngk's) along with the leads, cap & rotor (and dizzy o-ring whilst there) and problem fixed. hope ur prob isnt too expensive.
    Puggy.

Try disconnecting the o2 sensor. The ECU should then go back to a default setting, and would prove or disprove the possible failure of the sensor. Saw a Xsara recently that would not idle or accelerate very well, and stalled regularly, was found to be the O2 sensor. Up until that point I had not seen one make that much difference.
    Last edited by alan moore; 19th February 2006 at 10:16 PM.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    Ď02 and Ď03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

I had that happen to me a while back, driving along and revs just dropped off until the car stalled. Similar too 205puggypower I replaced in the distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs and leads and haven't experienced the problem since.

I paid a fortune for my distributor cap though, a standard bosch one from Autobarn. It took weeks to get in and at the same time I think I was ripped off . I remember it being about $100.00 so donít bother going there.

The Motronic equipped 205's are very tempermental with the O2 sensor. They don't go very well without one. They have a nasty habit of corroding away the connection pins on the loom. As Alan suggested, connect and disconnect both the heater and voltage output connectors, paying special attention to the pins.

I posted what all the K light codes are, and how to extract them, some time ago in the Technical section.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Drevlin
    I had that happen to me a while back, driving along and revs just dropped off until the car stalled. Similar too 205puggypower I replaced in the distributor cap and rotor, spark plugs and leads and haven't experienced the problem since.

I paid a fortune for my distributor cap though, a standard bosch one from Autobarn. It took weeks to get in and at the same time I think I was ripped off . I remember it being about $100.00 so donít bother going there.
    I paid more than that for my Euro Spec 1.9 cap.
    EAI couldn't find this cap listed as being in stock anywhere, even in Europe!
    I eventually found one at Burson's. It is the same as a Citroen AX and was probably brought in years ago to service the AXs when they were introduced to Australia.
    Since they sold vitually no cars it would explain why it was still sitting in stock!
    I have become re-enthused with the car after fitting the interior from a very late Sorrento Green GTi, got rid of that red carpet and the seats actually fit me.
    This car had a plain plastic hatch trim if anyone is interested.
    My Si had connection problems to the heater of the O2 sensor and didn't run well unless you kept the temperature to the sensor up by driving hard.

Graham

Fellow Frogger!

ok if u need a dizzy cap search ebay uk, intermotor & CI(commercial ignition) make OE for peugeot. they're about $30-$60(depending on ur bargaining skills!) including delivery from the UK. i got a new intermotor one for about $25 delivered from the UK tho it was for an XU9J1 engine. if you cant find any PM me & i'll find one at a good price.
    Puggy.

Tadpole

Thanks for the replys guys

I am gonna try give the o2 sensor a clean and see what else i can find. Mechanic also mentioned something about a speed sensor that could potentially cause the problems i have described.

Mechanic got o2 sensor problems and air flow meter problems under diagnostics.
    He put on a new air flow meter and that fixed all faults and then he put my old one back on again and for some reason all faults went away.

I will see how it responds over the next few days and get back to you all

Thanks again,
    Tom

Tadpole

Update:

Car started ok then about 5 minutes down the road it stalled at the lights and would not restart. Good times.

I came back to the car after an 8 hour shift and it started fine but had some hesitation. Eg. Missing a ignition cycle or something. Just had major service with belt, plugs etc. done.

It was cold in the morning when it died but was very hot in the late afternoon. Something to do with temperature maybe.

Mechanic said to replace speed sensor($180) and something else for about $100(blue something???)

I wanna see if i can work this out myself and save a few bucks if possible

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance,
    Tom

Tadpole

Hi
    This sounds just like the problems i had with my 205. I was driving along when the rev needle droped to zero then come back to life agian, it let a big bang and flames out of the exhaust as it dumped unburnt fuel through the exhaust as my car has twin 45's on it.
    Anyway she just stoped about 30 secs after that and would not start but half an hour later it did. It then went for another hour and done the same thing again!
    You know when its going to happen as the car stutters or stalls at a junction and wont start etc so i reckon its exectly the same thing which was wrong with my car.

The actual distributor is the cause!

Thomas when the car does this again take the lead off the coil slightly so there is 5mm gap between the coil and lead, get a mate to turn the engine over (dont hold the lead!! could get a shock) If you dont see a spark the distrutor is buggered.

Another common prob is the ignition module (ignition amplifier) could be this also

Its higly unlikly those problems that the mechanic is telling you. Maybe he is trying to scam you as mechanics often do!

Im here in northern ireland was surprised to see that there is a big following in oz for the 205's!

Richy

Tadpole

Update: It was the ignition module after all that. Mine apparantley would decide to die at a certain temperature range. So the car would only run fine when cold or hot not inbetween.

It has not stalled today or missed a ignition cycle or anything. It so much smoother throughout the rev range and is stable and smooth at idol.

So good to know the car wont die on you at a major intersection.

Thanks for the responses guys. Richystran you were pretty much right on.

Tom

Tadpole

Nice one james, glad you have found the problem. The distributor gives out the exact same problems so i knew it was one or the other.

Heres a link to some pics of my pug -

http://www.jon44w.co.uk/forum/viewth...d=69976&page=1

Cheers
    Richy

Tadpole

Update: Car died again. A good excuse to miss first class of uni
    I am riding to uni from tomorrow onwards so its not too much of a worry.

Anyway. Car stalled and would not restart. Waited half an hour and it started and drove fine all the way home. About 15mins.

I might order a distributor cap and put that on to see if that is the problem.

The ignition module i think just smoothed out the whole rev range and maybe made it less likely to stall. I think the true problem is the distributor cap.

I have never fitted one to a car before. Easy?

thanks,
    Tom

Fellow Frogger!

ok: what yr model 205 are we talking about here? what has been renewed/replaced? if the plugs have been renewed, is the gap correct? not wanting to complicate things further but is the coil ok?
    Puggy.

Tadpole

It is a 1994 205 GTI Classic. It just had a major service 80000km's at Auto Paris in Box Hill. They seem pretty knowledgeable and thorough. Problem was begginning to show itself before the service and sometimes the car is perfect and sometimes it is not.

The car has done 67,000k's and has been fitted with a new ignition module which seemed to improve things but alas did not resolve the problem.

The car drove for a good 1 1/2 hours yesterday without a hiccup

Spoke to mechanic again and he still reckons it might be the top dead sensor also known as the speed sensor.

What you reckon?
    Tom

Fellow Frogger!

if its a mechanic from Auto Paris telling u this(i presume) they'd probably be correct. im not 100% regarding S3's soz and i think S1's dont have a speed sensor. was the fuel filter changed? when i had this similar problem i first thought it was either electrical(i had played with the dizzy a bit ) or a fuel issue.
    Puggy.

Tadpole

Funny you actually asked about the fuel filter 205puggypower. It was not changed in the last service because they were waiting on a batch to come in. Its on the to do list when available.

i dont know if a clogged fuel filter would cause the problem though. I don't know.

tom

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas James
    ... Its on the to do list when available....
    i have a new purflux EP91 fuel filter available if interested, PM me.
    Puggy.

Thread Information