406 ST vs 406 SV ???
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 406 ST vs 406 SV ???

Hi everyone, I'm wanting to upgrade to a 406 from my mi16. I have test driven a 406 SV auto and I was extremely impressed. I didn't find much wrong with the auto, it was smooth and it was easy to drop to third by using the lever. I'm just wondering about the 406 ST. I would get a manual only in this engine size. They seem to be cheaper than the 406 SV, but I am wondering how less refined they would be in terms of ride and noise. I read that the SV has stiffer springs than the ST, and I also assume the v6 would be quieter than the 2.0L. Also does the ST have the same climate control as the SV and does the A/C drain the power? I couldn't notice any difference in engine note with the SV as the aircon was on and it didn't seem to sap power. Finally what do people think the difference in fuel economy would be?

Advertisement

thanks alot,
    Greg
    1984 505 STI

Never driven the four cylinder...

The V6 is a linear engine with more than adequate stonk. The auto will learn your driving style after a few miles but make sure you give the loud pedal a bit of a prod so it knows you are an enthusiast... The auto loves changing down so it is happy to go with you when you feel a bit frisky.

I know some (all?) of the 4 cylinder 406s had basic air conditioning whereas the SV has a full climate control.

The SV is a fast ultra quiet tourer and uses surprisingly little fuel. Try low 10s for outer suburban driving and much much better on the open road.

The climate control on the SV doesn't labour the engine.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

jgp

hi lunchcutter, we've had our 406st going on two years now as a everyday car. no comparison to the mi16 but then i'd disappointed if they were. haven't driven a v6 but i assume the performance would be similar to the mi considering the difference in weight. if you'd like to list questions to help you make up your mind if the 406 is the way to go. i'm certain the 405 has overall more space as we've found with a child in the back and all the stuff that goes with them in the boot.
    90 405 MI16
    96 406 ST

Get the SV. No question. great ride, great engine, great comfort. I have a 98 sedan Manual and it rockets. Its what i would call a grand tourer/crusier. eats miles on the highway, fuel economy is good.7-8lt/100k on HWY and about 10-13 in city if you keep off the loud pedal. Very quite and smooth V6(unless you put a straight through muffler on the back ). loves to rev above 4000rpm. Interior is good. Nice and easy to reach. climate control, elec seats, butt warmers... seating position can be high but you can change that...

all together a fantastic car that isn't all that common on the road. cheap too.

Tim

despite having had tp replace the auto transmission at 140,000k I stll reckon its one of the nicest cars on the road Brisbane to newcastle on less than 65 ltrs ( 889K door to door plus a meal and hort drive on overnight at Nambucca heads.

Futs just inbetween the Falcoon and the comode in size burt much more fun to drive replacement parts are generally not that much dearer than othere and its been long enough arrounf=d for aftermarket non-genuine bits to surface.....

If you get one check good service history and cambelt change and spend a few extra bucks on the second hand car warranty.... you get your money back ( i mean what you paid for the insurance policy if there is a problem)

Good luck and happy buying p[rices are not all that expensive for what you get ... oh yes make sure that you get an insurance policy that gives you a windscreen replacement without affecting your NCB ( Auto rain wiper screens are arounf $500.00 bucks

Cheers
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800
    Learnt to drive in 203 Convertible and a 403 SW

Fellow Frogger!

Default .

Thanks for the replies guys, having been faced with so much choice trying to decide what car to get really is daunting these days. I was planning on buying a crap $500 little runabout and make do with that until I finish uni at the end of this year. The advantage is I wouldn't have to comprehensively insure it, and it wouldn't depreciate much in value, and I wouldn't have to borrow money to do it. On the other hand if anything went wrong, then any money spent fixing the problem is basically dead money, whereas if I bought a car from a dealer with a warrantee I could rest fairly well rest assured that the car won't cost much in maintenance and I can just enjoy it. If I bought privately from what I can gather 406s seem to be quite reliable?? Test drove a BA Falcon today, shitloads of torque, very nice interior, very quiet, seemed to ride ok. Only things I didn't like, the headrests went up and down but didn't adjust front or back, and the steering rack was lightning quick and the feel didn't change no matter how far through a corner or what speed you were going, ie no feel. I'm also considering a Xsara, but so far a 406 is probably on the top of my list. A new Ford Focus may also be ok, as I think the shape will stay popular for quite a while and they seem to be a very well engineered car with a nice interior, haven't driven one yet though. They are a bit out of my price range though!
    1984 505 STI

If you really want a good reliable car thats not to big but can carry 4 adults in reasonable comfort you could do with somthing like this 306 http://www.chevroncars.com.au/stock/M50601.html

They are reasonably priced and reasonable to insure lots of them around so there are lots of second hand spares and there is a wealth of experience on them via the car clubs.... and they are quite good performers.

but if not then go for the 406SV if you want the get up and go.

Cheers
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    Had - 407 HDI 406 SV 404, 504, 505 GR and STI. 405 GR ( carbie version) STI, MI16
    And an Austin 1800

jmn

G'day Meggsy!

Could you tell us exactly what happened to your tranny and what it cost to fix?

jmn

I had a catastrophic failure of the transmission whilst driving to Newcastle the, week or so before it was surging at low speeds and in low gears so I had it checked during a service... fluid was low and contaminated ... no evidence of leaks though

It was topped up and recomended that I get an exchange ordered which I did... I have dealt with A & B transmissions previously and that was also their recomendation.
    Going into Nambucca heads on 22 Dec the change down was loud and jerky then bang again often as I tried to accertate away.. I limped into the caravan park and called the NRMA who confirmed that it was dead. I had it shipped back to the Pug dealer in Brisbane who really looked after me with it and with a loan car cost all up including replacement engine mounts and lower control arm bushes came to about 5 1/2grand.

A & B transmissions from Melbourne have done all the transmissions for SAAB Pug Renault and Citroen under warranty for at least 17 years they are one of the few shops that actually run the overhauled unit on a dyneo they started doing that with the 405 boxes where the valve body had to be calibrated.

At least I know that the box has been overhauled properly and they will honour any warranty problems... I also put another fellow frogger on to A & B when he had a similar problem with his Coupe.

Hope that helps

Cheers
    Meggsy
    Current - 4007HDi
    And an Austin 1800

Tadpole

Default SV v. ST

Have had both ST 97 Auto and SV 99 Manual. Currently still own ST auto and have traded SV man for 407 HDI. The SV came top of the range with all the bells and whistles. I was very happy with the SV but I felt that the ST still had a better ride. The ST unfortunately had poor reviews and probably has caused it to be regarded as the inferior model. Rather then trade in our ST we have retained it as a family runabout and I very happy with its performance. I would assume that you could pick a late model 406 ST for a very reasonable price and probably give you a very satisfactory service

Thread Information