Tyre Kickers galore
  • Register
  • Help
    Cub

Default Tyre Kickers galore

Hi Puggers,

Sorry but I need to vent some frustration and i think only fellow puggers will understand:

Why is it that GTis attract and inordinate number of tyre-kickers???

I've had my 205 up for sale and have been receiving a number of enquiries, "chats" and even test-drives. However eager and impressed they seem, they're not even close to ready to buy a car...."oh I have bought another" (really? there was only my one for sale with the KMs he was after in three publications )..."oh i need to use the money for something else" (please decide on a new spa before calling about the car then )

IMHO some of these people must enjoy "thinking" they are enthusiasts and are in search of the "perfect car" rather than actually drawing a bank cheque to buy one. I dont believe they realise the resolve and commitement it takes to own a Frenchie...all they know is what they read in Motor or Wheels and then sit in their Foulcons and imagine how it drives...

When I finally decided to buy what was my obtainable dream car, I looked at them on the internet until I was ready to go and check them out. I took three GTis for a drive to get an idea of what was out there, decided on the one I wanted, NRMA inspection and drew a cheque in the space of about 8 or 9 days. In the mean time i kept all my appointments with sellers, called back to let them know etc.

I was already prepared to spend some money to fix a few things and was not under the illusion that it was going to be reliable like a toaster & I havent looked back.

Advertisement

It took me 2 months to finally decide to sell the car and I still dont want the car to suffer the indignity of a FOR SALE sign on the window... hence I have been getting more & more annoyed with these wannabe enthusiasts.

Thanks for listening (or reading) dudes...feel much better now.
    CUB

10k for a 92 with 140kms in good knick... sounds about right although to most (uneducated) people 10k for a 'small' car that's 14y/o sounds quite expensive, so you may just have to wait for the right person.

Have any of them actually made offers? As a rule I would never put my asking price as what I want to get, you should always allow for negotiation of at least 10% otherwise you will look unreasonable if you don't budge... What's the general concensus here?

Tyre kickers are a part of the private sale market, but you are getting some level of interest at least - could be worse - you could have a modified skyline or something

Good luck with the sale. I've often heard the expression "There's a bum for every seat"

I can imagine the frustration you are dealing with. Only ever sold two cars privately and they weren't anything special like a GTi. Have you tried adding "No Tyre Kickers" to your add?
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

1000+ Posts

don't sell it

Cub - I was the same when I bought mine. Drove two.. bought one. All in the space of about two weeks.

Now that I'm looking at selling mine... I'm dreading the 'tyre-kicker/joyride' phenomenon!

Fellow Frogger!

Advertise on websites only, not in print. You'll get less enquiries but more serious ones. I think the time wasters flick through the classifieds but they don't web search for stuff like 205s. And anyone serious about a 205 will be doing some searching, not just see it casually in print.

Mine was for sale last year (similar age, condition , price). When in print in Drive I got a couple of time wasters calling, making appointments they didn't keep. Then when it was on carsalses and drive websites only I got noone to look for ages but the first to look/test drive bought it.

Suggest you put a link to the ad with photos on your Aussiefrogs 'for sale' thread, it always helps to see a photo.
    unfrogged (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by Cub
    was not under the illusion that it was going to be reliable like a toaster
    Hey, we've had three toasters die on us in the last 2 years, wish I could get one that was reliable like a Peugeot!

Chris
    GS 1220 break. Beige cars go faster

i severely dread this problem when i come to sell my mi16

the only way around it is obvious... keep the car, put it in storage and give it to your kids, thats what ill end up doing
    '92 405 mi16

I agree re only advertising on the web. I sold my S16 this way. Had 4 or 5 calls, two people came to look at the car, and the second one bought it. This was over a period of a few months, but I avoided the tyre kickers.

The other thing you can do is to try and qualify the buyers a bit more before you let them near the car. Don't be afraid to ask them straight up if they're in the immediate market for a car. If they're genuine buyers they won't mind. A few simple questions about what sort of car they're looking for, what their price range is, and when they're wanting to buy, will soon sort the genuines from the dreamers.

All salesman do it, and if the caller doesn't like it, too bad.
    08 Peugeot 207 GT - daily driver
    '74 Alfa GTV 2000 LeMans Blue
    '70 Alfa Romeo 1750 Berlina - project
    '94 306 S16 - gone, but not forgotten

I put my 306xt in my mechanics showroom.
    He charged me a couple of hundred, but he handled the sale, dealt with the tyre kickers and his insurance covered the vehicle.

I wrote a long advert that explained the car in detail .

Got a decent response , sold it pretty quickly for more than you would have expected in a private sale.
    05 206 GTI 180
    04 407 ST
    94 306 XT

Cub

Thanks for all the advice guys... but unfortunately all the measures mentioned above have already been taken...
    I've only got the ads on the internet, asked for serious buyers and talk quite a bit with the callers to suss them out...

Oh well I guess the only thing to do is play the waiting game...whilst in the mean time Froggers continue to chop each other at the knees with pricing

But i guess its no punishment to hold onto a 205 GTi a little longer ... i might even lose the urge and pull it off the market again... hehe...
    CUB

Quote Originally Posted by Cub
    But i guess its no punishment to hold onto a 205 GTi a little longer ... i might even lose the urge and pull it off the market again... hehe...
    It is a unique product and an old one at that. I've often thought about getting one but they are just to old a car for my needs now.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Maybe you need to think about getting the car detailed.

There might be some minor thing turning buyers off. You may be surprised, but often something as minor as torn upholstery or a ding in the wrong place with frighten a buyer away. Something else people dont like is finding out a car needs a number of small things fixed, which the owner should really have sorted out.

I dont know anything about your car and havent seen the ad, so
    if you car is immaculate, with absolutey no cosmetic detailing needed, ignore this reply : )
    Black Peugeot 306 GTi6, Sydney Australia
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/sydvr6

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by semerton
    Tyre kickers are a part of the private sale market, but you are getting some level of interest at least - could be worse - you could have a modified skyline or something
    Hey! Be nice.
    1991 Peugeot 205 GTi
    1989 Nissan R32 GT-R

Thread Information