405 Manual Gearbox Oil Refilling??
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 405 Manual Gearbox Oil Refilling??

Ok, I'm a new member on this forum, but I have been reading posts for a while.

Advertisement

Anyway, I have a question that I would really like answered. Ok, well I have been searching for it for quite some time yesterday and I still can't find the plug on the gearbox into which you pour the oil in.

It's a 1988 Peugeot 405, 1.9 8-valve, but i'm pretty sure that all models have the same gearbox. It would be great if someone could maybe take a photo of the location of this plug or just describe its location.

(actually the gearboxes are different after '89, but the oil fillers may be in exactly the same place )

But I'd be keen to find that out myself - I've had some Nulon G70 here for a while, and have had a look for the gearbox filler for my '90 SRi several times, in the middle of performing other mechanical manoeuvres under the bonnet.

That filler is well concealed, wherever it is!
    Last edited by cabbage tree; 16th February 2006 at 02:28 PM.
    BTW its a 1939 Panhard Autobus, and if you look very carefully there's a Citroen Traction (approx 1 pixel x 1pixel), approaching from behind the guy who's about to get on the bus.

Oh yeah, by the way I do have the workshop manual, but I still cannot find this plug. The pictures in the manual are pretty dodgy and don't give away the actual location of the plug.

I hope someone on this forum knows where it is, cause I desperatly need to fill up my gearbox, as it's making sqeecking sounds
    I reject the reality and substitute my own!!

Well you're right guys it is well concealed - maybe Peugeot did it that way for a reason.
    The filler hole is accessed by removing a hex head bolt at the uppermost passenger side end of the gearbox. Make sure you put EXACTLY the right specification oil in it - for best functionality, that is critical.
    John505

Not sure how relevant it is, but I did the same thing on my 91 205 (BE3 gearbox), and spent hours trying to work out people's description of how to get the oil in

The description I was given after a quick call to the mechanic was to take off the front passenger's wheel and the gearbox end plate should be looking straight at you. It's bolted on with about 10 bolts, but one of them (lower right hand side) is alot bigger (19mm I think). That is the one you take out and fill the oil through.

I also followed Alan S' advice with using Castrol oil because the nozzle is the perfect size for filling, and also mixing a bit of the G70 into the oil.

This thread also has instructions for the BE1 box, which is probably more relevant: checking gear box fluid levels (205gti s1)

Good luck with it all

Alright, this is just to double check... Is this the filler plug??

And also is this the drain plug or the idle gear retainer??

Here's another shot of it

And one last one.. what is this??

Hope to hear something soon, cause i'm going to start filling in an hour or so.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 405 Manual Gearbox Oil Refilling??-drain.jpg   405 Manual Gearbox Oil Refilling??-drain-1.jpg   405 Manual Gearbox Oil Refilling??-plug.jpg   405 Manual Gearbox Oil Refilling??-what.jpg  
    I reject the reality and substitute my own!!

Fellow Frogger!

The "What is this" pic; is it on the top of the gearbox?

If it is then that is a breather; you can undo this & fill from there instead of the filler. Undo the filler & fill from the breather until oil starts coming out of the filler, assuming level ground that will be the correct level.

Barry.

hello nick405,

the plastic "what is it" is the breather..
    the drain plug is in lower side of the g\b
    here i am pointing on it:

the filler plug is here:

you need to put the car on a stand from the passenger's side..then take the wheel and the wheel arch off and then you will have a nice access to it.

good luck.

ofer

Good pix and info dudes, - that thread on the BE1 Box is also very good - I
    had a suspicion that there was a bolt / nut in there that released something that went crunch #\grrrr<*@ crunch!! inside the box if you were foolish enough to undo it by mistake

But also, - a gearbox breather! that made me think about an issue I've had with my current 405 SRi, and also previous 405 GR (carburettor) - and that's the smell of oily vapour that comes into the cabin at times when the engine is well warm - it has always smelled more like gearbox oil than engine oil, and I'm wondering now if that's where it is coming from: - the gearbox breather. (I've triple checked for vapour leaks from the cranckcase breathers and the various hoses connected there, but never found any leaks there) - does anyone have any thoughts/ experience on this ?
    BTW its a 1939 Panhard Autobus, and if you look very carefully there's a Citroen Traction (approx 1 pixel x 1pixel), approaching from behind the guy who's about to get on the bus.

Thread Information