Brake Compensators??205 GTi
  • Register
  • Help

Default Brake Compensators??205 GTi

OK.

I need some rear brake compensators, for the rear of the 205. They must be from a disc brake rear end. (i think only the S3 had them over here) I fitted the 309 Beam today and now find out i need the brake lines with the compensators, which i dont have (Clearly)

Advertisement

Anyway i know this should be in the WTD section but i thought more people may look here first.
    So does anyone know where a S3 205gti is being Wrecked or parts, i have tried all out pug wreckers on the forum and noone can help me out. Anyone know anyone???

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Cam, for info when I fitted the disc brake rear end I stayed with the 3 outlet mastercylinder and single line back to the t piece where it splits to each side drum. This means the standard compensator stays in place.

We're racing the car and haven't noticed any problems, discs are working fine and pedal is excellent.

Cheers

Jim

Yeah I've got the original setup but haven't noticed any problems. I did have to replace the master cylinder and now have a four-outlet one so I'm interested to see whether you do change anything.
    Series 1 205 Gti
    '54 VW Beetle (oval-window)
    '71 VW Beetle (big-window)

Quote Originally Posted by pug303
    Hi Cam, for info when I fitted the disc brake rear end I stayed with the 3 outlet mastercylinder and single line back to the t piece where it splits to each side drum. This means the standard compensator stays in place.

We're racing the car and haven't noticed any problems, discs are working fine and pedal is excellent.

Cheers

Jim
    Same here Cam, bias is good.
    205gti

Fellow Frogger!

Hi, I agree you need the bias.

The single line still has the original compensator , just not one on each line like the normal disc setup. No rear lockup problems, even though they existed with the drums before.

Cheers

Jim

I thought drum brakes need a device that maintains a minimum line pressure after you remove your foot from the brake pedal. Presumably that would be built into the 'pressure compensator' that the early 205s have - maybe it IS what we are calling a 'single line pressure compensator'. If this were the case then it would be no good for a disc brake rear end - always dragging and possibly not 'pressure compensating' properly. There are probably some answers in the Haynes manual.

What I do know for sure is that when a pr comp valve packs it in on a 205 GTI S3 (ie discs all around), you get big rear wheel lockups that make the car very unstable going into MG at Phillip Island, and wastes a lot of rubber.

Rick
    S3 205GTI

I think im going to source the compensators as i would like to system to work how it is ment to. I have now heard of a few rear lock up problems and i dont really want to have to deal with that all the time,

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Fellow Frogger!

Hi,

I dont know if they still have it, but a 4 wheel disc S3 might still be at Euroserve in Brisbane, I know it must have been the later car (even though I didnt see it) because I managed to get the Girling front calipers to fit to my S1 car from the wreck.

Definately the later split system caliper.

Cheers

Chipper

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Cam, I've just checked and I have the S3 pipes. Will pm you.

Cheers

Jim

Thread Information