Valeo Alternator Brushes for a 505 GTI?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Replacing Valeo Alternator Brushes for a 505 GTI?

Just wondering if anyone has had to change the brushes on their 505 GTI Valeo Alternator?

I've just pulled the alternator off the car and removed the plastic Motorola housing off the back of the unit which holds the brushes , the brushes are soldered into place, my concern is if I try and heat up the solder to remove the brushes that I may damage the plastic housing.

To me it looks as if you need to replace the whole plastic housing complete with the brushes, is this so?

If anyone here has had to replace these brushes could you please advise me of a practical way to replace them please?

Advertisement
    Last edited by raver; 14th February 2006 at 09:13 PM.

Default replacing brushes

Quote Originally Posted by raver
    Just wondering if anyone has had to change the brushes on their 505 GTI Valeo Alternator?

I've just pulled the alternator off the car and removed the plastic Motorola housing off the back of the unit which holds the brushes , the brushes are soldered into place, my concern is if I try and heat up the solder to remove the brushes that I may damage the plastic housing.

To me it looks as if you need to replace the whole plastic housing complete with the brushes, is this so?

If anyone here has had to replace these brushes could you please advise me of a practical way to replace them please?

Sometimes the manufacturer intends you to buy the brush box complete.

Sometimes you just buy the brushes. - try EAI

If you have to un-solder brushes from a lug in plastic support you need a really hot soldering iron (a Scope ideally or even a big copper brute type heated on the gas ring)

Heat sink the lug to which the brush pigtail is soldered, by gripping firmly near the plastic with a pair of long nose pliers.

Heat up the soldered joint with the iron and when solder is melted shake off the excess. (wear safety glasses and do the job outside!) Do it quickly with a very hot iron - put some solder on the tip of the iron to help heat transfer.

It's good to get a second pair of hands to hold the pliers

Heat again and try pull the pigtail or unwrap it with a second pair of pliers.
    *** watch the solder flicking into your eyes on body parts***

Use the pliers to heatsink when re-soldering the new brushes.

I personally hate French auto electrical parts and would be looking to fit a Nippon Denso alternator unit off a jap car instead. ND make premium quality units and are a cinch to service.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the tips robmac!

I handed over the brush housing unit to an auto electrician who
    said it would'nt be too difficult to replace the brushes just a matter
    of finding ones that fit, I was also told late and current model Bosch/Valeo
    alternators require the whole unit to be replaced! (starting from $60 upwards)

Default Replacement Alternators

Quote Originally Posted by raver
    Thanks for the tips robmac!

I handed over the brush housing unit to an auto electrician who
    said it would'nt be too difficult to replace the brushes just a matter
    of finding ones that fit, I was also told late and current model Bosch/Valeo
    alternators require the whole unit to be replaced! (starting from $60 upwards)
    If a replacement can be fitted for only $60 it is a bargain & I would take that option, everything new & 12 month warranty have to be the best option.

I can't see an autolec replacing brushes for less than $ 30

I still hate French alternator especially the single phase paris-rhone with the press fit pulleys.

Fellow Frogger!

He found some brushes and replaced them so it looks like I'll be getting out of this one quite cheaply.

Fellow Frogger!

Cost of brushes = $26.00

Labour to remove old and fit new brushes = $37.00

Not to bad I guess!

Thread Information