GTD register...
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: GTD register...

Default GTD register...

Hi all, after putting a new Injector pump on my wife's GTD yesterday, I got thinking. I wonder how many of these rare cars are left in Oz these days. So I figured I'd ask, who out there has one of these cars and how many K's has it done? Ours is a white with blue and has 360K and looks (and now runs) like new. So what about yours???

Advertisement
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got thier shoes!

Default Seconded

Quote Originally Posted by downunderyank
    Ours is a white with blue and has 360K and looks (and now runs) like new. So what about yours???
    Saw the car yesterday. NIce to shake hands with it's owner who's been so good to me. Yes, the car is a good one. Lovely outside and inside.

As an aside, these 2.5 diesel motors were widely used in Europe and not just in Pugs. How about we 505 diesel owners getting together and containering some over?

Also, Dan and I are seriously considering an SVO conversion for our cars. Any experience out there?
    82 Peugeot 505 Turbo Diesel
    78 VW Golf diesel
    80 VW Golf diesel
    84 Nissan Patrol MQ diesel

Matt was talking about trying to arrange a 505 gathering in Devonport I didnt hear any more of it.

I think it would be great to get a heap of them together!

Ben

PS on topic I know of 2 other GTD's in Hobart, one belongs to a member here, the other belongs to the tassie club member with the 2.3 Turbo Diesel 604 UTE!!
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Quote Originally Posted by tassiediesel
    Saw the car yesterday. NIce to shake hands with it's owner who's been so good to me. Yes, the car is a good one. Lovely outside and inside.

As an aside, these 2.5 diesel motors were widely used in Europe and not just in Pugs. How about we 505 diesel owners getting together and containering some over?

Also, Dan and I are seriously considering an SVO conversion for our cars. Any experience out there?
    Similarly, nice to finally meet you Dan. My friend Nyssa texted me the other day saying she was going to buy your Honda. I'm not sure whether she was serious or not, because I forgot that I'd left my credit card in her wallet!! Sorry it couldn't have been at a better time of day though mate.

A container of 2.5 diesels!! Well that sounds like a plan, then I'll see you at the GTD register. Just as well the dumb ol' bank offered to increase my credit limit today!!

I've got all the parts on top of my computer ready to SVO little Guinea Pug, hence 'guinea pug'. I was talking to Dan about the Rotodiesel pump and how it isn't recommended to use it for SVO/WVO. I'm inclined to use it anyway, or thin it a little with petro-diesel (if they'll mix) and proceed like usual. Does anyone know of any spare pumps lying around out there that I could buy to put in my boot for a (the?) rainy day? I know the solution is to make biodiesel, but I want to be agricultural about it. There's something appealing about just put it in the tank, drive.

What was that low viscosity oil you were talkin the other day Dan? I'm thinking about putting a 200 litre "ultra long range" tank in the back of Guinea Pug, just to be a knob, or so I can find a good source of fuel and stock up. I might just put a huge bladder in the boot. Yeah, that's the ticket. Then I'll just have to avoid them speed humps . I can't believe I forgot Pizza Bar. What a loser.
    Last edited by RASTEVE; 13th February 2006 at 06:01 PM.
    '96 306 xtdt
    '83 505 SRDT (440,000kms) - "Gertrude"
    '79 504 GLD (?x100,000 + 59,349kms) "Guinea Pug"

Oh yeah Dan, did I tell you the other day that your GTD is one sexay lookin' ride? Want me some of that. Anyone want to sell me a spoiler and that GTi thing under the front?

I dare you to put some GT stripes up the middle. I'm gonna do it to Guinea Pug, and put a big blue number 3 on the drivers door
    '96 306 xtdt

Unless you are planning lots of looooooong trips Biodiesel is a clear winner can be mixed with petro diesel (general theory is WVO/SVO should not be mixed with diesel) start up and stop is unaffected with bio but must be catered for with svo conversion to bio is easy make it put it in the tank drive it enjoy it. Sniff Sniff mmmn fish and chips. Besides Tassie Diesel already has the sticker....
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Yeah, all I do is drive up and down the Hume Freeway. I generally do about 1,000 kms each week between Melbourne and Albury. Is there a reason in general why the rotodiesel isn't recommended for SVO/WVO, or is it just rotary pumps in general? Most mercedes drivers don't seem to have any issues. Getting a bit off topic here I know. I was just planning on driving around Oz in my 504 on WVO. It'd be nice.
    '96 306 xtdt

Gus

(Sorry for the thread hijack, Dan!)

Steve - I don't have the experience cruiserman does, but I've done a fair bit of research on WVO with a view to doing the same thing you want to do.

The main issue with doing really long trips on WVO is that waste oil takes time and energy to settle, dewater and filter before you can use it. Various people have made "dumpster diving" systems to allow you to pump directly from oil barrel to car, so to speak, but none of them (AFAIK) have worked particularly well, and many of them have ended up needing new injector pumps

One exception is a guy in WA I remember reading about who made some huge distance around Australia on WVO he collected along the way. The difference? He drove a full sized bus and could afford to settle several whole 44 gallon drums in the back as he drove.

... anyways, I don't want to discourage you too much cos I think there's great potential if it can be done. But look carefully into all aspects of running WVO before you decide it's the best option. If I ever get my 505 on the road, I've decided to start making biodiesel and see how that goes before I look into WVO. Ultimately, I think there are fewer potential pitfalls.

Default Wvo

I don't mind in the least having my thread hijacked for a good cause. I am considering WVO only because I have access to virgin poppy seed oil that is low viscocity and filtered down to 1 micron. Because I live in Tassie, I'm never more than my fuel tank range away from home. I have looked into making a heat exchanger that runs off the coolant that sits right alongside the injectors to be very close to the pump. This allows the oil to heat before entering the pump and allows the lines to clear quicker when your ready to stop.

One thing to keep in mind is SVO has a tendancy to eat rubber lines while Bio does not. If SVO, you may have switch all rubber fuel lines to a speacial type. I am going to do some experiments on the poppy seed oil this weekend to compare the viscocity to diesel and go from there. Gus, I can't believe your still working on that car! I really didn't think it needed that much. Oh well, I should have kept it for the drivetrain and thrown the rest of the car away.
    Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then when you judge them, you're a mile away and you've got thier shoes!

Gus

I am considering WVO only because I have access to virgin poppy seed oil that is low viscocity and filtered down to 1 micron
    Oh, wow! Just for the record, that's SVO (straight veggie oil) not WVO (waste veggie oil.) Very different kettle of fish (less crud & no FFAs from the frying process.) .

Just out of interest, how much will the virgin oil cost you?

At least if your injector pump has been rebuilt recently it should have synthetic seals in it, so that's one less thing to worry about.

Gus, I can't believe your still working on that car! I really didn't think it needed that much. Oh well, I should have kept it for the drivetrain and thrown the rest of the car away.
    Yeah, live and learn. It's partially laziness and busyness on my part but it does need a fair bit of work. I'll get it in for rego this week (before uni goes back) but I'm paranoid they'll fail me on either suspension bushes (most look shot, a couple are missing chunks of rubber) or smoke (needs a good long drive in the country after all the idling it's been doing.)

Now I will repeat 100 times until I learn : Never Think A Car Which Has Been Sitting Will Be Easy to Rego... Never Think A Car Which Has Been Sitting Will Be Easy To Rego...

Good luck w/ all the dieselling...

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    smoke (needs a good long drive in the country after all the idling it's been doing.)

Good luck w/ all the dieselling...
    Do you reckon a tank of biodiesel would be good for getting a roadwothy? Isn't there less smoke?
    '96 306 xtdt

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by RASTEVE
    Do you reckon a tank of biodiesel would be good for getting a roadwothy? Isn't there less smoke?
    It's a good idea, but hopefully unnecessary. I already have a ton of injector cleaner in there, I just need to take it for a good drive. The roadworthy place I'm going to go to is a 20 minute 100km/h haul from my place. If that doesn't blast any/all carbon buildup out of the head, I'll admit defeat and go get the injectors overhauled.

One thing to keep in mind is SVO has a tendancy to eat rubber lines while Bio does not. If SVO, you may have switch all rubber fuel lines to a speacial type.

Biodiesel and SVO both swell (rather than eat) rubber lines and seals such that if you remove a seal it will be too big and squishy to fit back from whence it came. Viscosity is an easily overcome problem simply using the radiator coolant through a heat exchange to heat up the oil. However it is important that you start up and definately switch over to bio or diesel to for a few kilometres to prevent the injectors coking up really badly - hence the comment previously about S(W)VO being great for long distance commuting not short down to the shops sort of stuff.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

I am considering WVO only because I have access to virgin poppy seed oil that is low viscocity and filtered down to 1 micron.
    So does this farmer only grow poppies to press the oil, or for his own personal enjoyment? I wonder whether there are more guys like him in Victoria? Is the oil a byproduct of another commodity he sells, or the main product? I do believe we should be piping this stuff across the Bass Strait to Victoria.

Does anyone know anyone who presses their own oil in Victoria? SVO would be nice before it hit the shelves!!
    '96 306 xtdt

unless you are pressing your own biodiesel is muuuuuch cheaper than Virgin SVO as the main ingredient WVO is freely available to pick up from your local greasy spoon.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Default SVO v WVO

I thought about this and when I first got into diesels about 6 months ago, I looked into getting WVo from some restaurants that I worked with at my job. Even with knowing the owners, I couldn't procure more than a few litres here and there, it was all spoken for. I thought about it and even if I could get WVO, I like the idea of SVO as it clean, I don't have to worry about picking up small batches all over the countryside (burning more fuel) only to have a base stock that would take much further processing to be suitable for SVO or Bio. I'm not in this diesel thing for the economics, more for the environmental pleasure of making my own fuel. but at $.65/litre, I don't think you could make me sit and filter batches of crusty stinky oil every few weeks. I'll get mine in a convenient 1000litre container that I will pick up on the back of my soon to be diesel powered 404 ute!

BTW, poppies are mostly only grown in Tassie (as far as Oz is concerned) so Poppy seed oil would be hard to come by on the mainland. If you want to look into shipping a 1000litre container up, I can get you all the oil you can use. Just bear in mind it may cost you $.70 as I am good friends with the fellow making it and it may be mates rates. He presses 4000 tonnes of poppies a year and over 8000 tonnes of canola.

Just bear in mind it may cost you $.70 as I am good friends with the fellow making it and it may be mates rates. He presses 4000 tonnes of poppies a year and over 8000 tonnes of canola.
    Well at that price, 1000 litres of the stuff at $0.70 per litre would pay for a trip to Tassie given regular diesel is $1.20ish these days! I could buy some opium from him with the change. I'll seriously think about it mate. That's half a years worth of trips up and down the Hume for me. I'd only have to endure the boat ride then to come and get it. What sort of 1000 litre container does it come in? One of those big HDPE things on a pallet?
    '96 306 xtdt

Default Comments

Quote Originally Posted by RASTEVE
    Well at that price, 1000 litres of the stuff at $0.70 per litre would pay for a trip to Tassie given regular diesel is $1.20ish these days!
    Not here in Tassie!!! I paid $1.38 for it last week...And I shopped around!

What sort of 1000 litre container does it come in? One of those big HDPE things on a pallet?
    Yes, but it doesn't "come in" as you would have to buy your own 1000L cube.
    (Sorry for hijacking, Dan!)
    Also, Cruiserman, try getting fish and chip oil over here! We supply a heap of restaurants with Capretto and goat cheese and I've asked at every one. It's all spoken for. Simplot are situated 20km from us. They process spuds for Maccas, own Birds Eye, etc etc and they won't let me have a drop.
    78 VW Golf diesel
    80 VW Golf diesel

Tadpole

Hi all. Just to get back to the register, I can put my hand up for a GTD in Bris. It's metalic blue/grey and is just coming up to 235K.

I did a compression test recently, and they were all 430-440 psi, so it seems to be holding up pretty well.

Also quite keen on the 'container of diesels' idea...

regards, herman.

Default Gtd

Good to hear Herman! I checked mine when I got it and three cylinders were 450 and one 400 but it is well within tolerance. It may have been from the bunged up pump that was putting too much fuel in that cylinder and washing the oil off the rings or the really bad tappett setting that is now fixed. Either way, it runs much better with the new bosch pump. Keep em coming people, that's only 5 acounted for so far!!!

Tadpole

Default 505 diesel register

Hi all, after putting a new Injector pump on my wife's GTD yesterday, I got thinking. I wonder how many of these rare cars are left in Oz these days. So I figured I'd ask, who out there has one of these cars and how many K's has it done? Ours is a white with blue and has 360K and looks (and now runs) like new. So what about yours???
    Hi do you put this thread in every day???
    Or is it on auto?
    Are you getting much response for a register?
    Does my 505GRD naturalaspire qualify?If so here tis.
    Cheers
    David.

Tadpole

Default 505 gtd register

505 srdt.
    If you are thinking of getting a container of XD3T's then I'll put my hand up for a couple, BA10/5 gearboxes to suit wouldn't hurt either.
    Been running the srdt on pump bio for about 20,000k now and no problems, previouse owner did too but found that if he went more than 4 tanks of mineral diesel the injector pump started to behave more like a sieve, as soon as he went back to bio the leaks stopped within a tank full. Runs great on bio, little cooler if anything and haven't needed to modify anything other than the fuel filters where I added an extra one in line as a prefilter (diesels should have 2 anyway).

Default Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Flacko73
    505 srdt.
    If you are thinking of getting a container of XD3T's then I'll put my hand up for a couple, BA10/5 gearboxes to suit wouldn't hurt either.
    One of the guys on my vwwatercooled forum just brought a container of (mostly Golf) parts over from the UK. He has a reliable contact who wrecks cars and it's possible that he will make room in his next container for our diesels. Everything however comes at a cost!
    Been running the srdt on pump bio for about 20,000k now and no problems,
    Didin't know you could buy 100% bio at the pump! You certainly can't here. Is there gvmt excise on it?
    previouse owner did too but found that if he went more than 4 tanks of mineral diesel the injector pump started to behave more like a sieve, as soon as he went back to bio the leaks stopped within a tank full. Runs great on bio, little cooler if anything and haven't needed to modify anything other than the fuel filters where I added an extra one in line as a prefilter (diesels should have 2 anyway).
    How true, especially with biodiesel.
    78 VW Golf diesel
    80 VW Golf diesel

Gus

Quote Originally Posted by tassiediesel
    How true, especially with biodiesel.
    Holy *$(#@*#! How did that happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Holy *$(#@*#! How did that happen?
    Assume you mean the leaking pump seals - simple really ULSD or LSD for that matter shrinks the seals and makes them go hard biodiesel swells and softens the seals just dont disassemble the pump as the seals wont go back in.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information