iPod in a 2001 306
  • Register
  • Help

Default iPod in a 2001 306

Hi,

Does anyone know of any cheap alternatives to a fm transmitter for connecting my new 30gb ipod (with video) to my 306.

It's got the standard clarion head unit. Does this have aux in?

Thanks guys/gals.

Advertisement

Justin
    2001 306 RALLYE

if you decide you want a fm transmitter i will sell mine for $20 ($50 new) - it turns out i never really use my ipod in the car

hey there are a few ways... does ur head deck have an rca in put? if so just hook up and rca cord to ur ipod head phone jack... or find out if alpine make up and auxillary inpt adaptor (this will convert ur stacker input in to rca...or try these guys.. www.thecarkitcompany.com.au they will have something for u, that where i bought my ipod kit for my 206 and sounds really great...

ed
    2005 206 GTI

Tadpole

The connects2 iPod adapter from the above mentioned www.thecarkitcompany.com.au will do exactly what you want. It converts the stacker input into an iPod input, connecting through the iPod's dock connector. It's $300 though, so it's not exactly a cheap alternative

FM transmitters tend to be not much good though, so if you're a fan of reasonable quality audio, you're probably better looking at the above option.

Quote Originally Posted by jannear
    Hi,

Does anyone know of any cheap alternatives to a fm transmitter for connecting my new 30gb ipod (with video) to my 306.

It's got the standard clarion head unit. Does this have aux in?

Thanks guys/gals.

Justin
    If you look at the Clarion, you should be able to answer the question should you not?? Our 1995 306XT takes iPod signal through a small jack socket on the front of the radio/stereo - works perfectly.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW
    If you look at the Clarion, you should be able to answer the question should you not?? Our 1995 306XT takes iPod signal through a small jack socket on the front of the radio/stereo - works perfectly.
    Unfortunately my 2001 306 Rallye doesnt have that ability (not on the front anyway).

Justin
    2001 306 RALLYE

what model is the head unit

No idea, but its in this picture -

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/vbp...p?do=big&p=388
    2001 306 RALLYE

Quote Originally Posted by jannear
    Looks like a Eurovox unit. They are fitted to the cars locally.

Have you thought about changing the headunit?

Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO
    Looks like a Eurovox unit. They are fitted to the cars locally.

Have you thought about changing the headunit?

Troy.
    I dunno where I got clarion from. Looks like a eurovox now on closer inspection to me too.

Ive thought about it, but not too keen on it if I can get it working without doing so.
    2001 306 RALLYE

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Super
    The connects2 iPod adapter from the above mentioned www.thecarkitcompany.com.au will do exactly what you want. It converts the stacker input into an iPod input, connecting through the iPod's dock connector. It's $300 though, so it's not exactly a cheap alternative
    Ouch! I'm looking at doing something similar when I get a new head unit (crappy eurovox is dying)

Quote Originally Posted by Super
    FM transmitters tend to be not much good though, so if you're a fan of reasonable quality audio, you're probably better looking at the above option.
    I've got an iTrip and the quality is superb when its running through my dad's Lux reciever, but in the car with all the varying interference it doesn't work. <$15 tape deck car kit thingy works well
    '96 Peugeot 405 SRDT Station Wagon

'71 Peugeot 504 GL - gone

'91 Peugeot 205si - gone

Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrain
    Ouch! I'm looking at doing something similar when I get a new head unit (crappy eurovox is dying)

I've got an iTrip and the quality is superb when its running through my dad's Lux reciever, but in the car with all the varying interference it doesn't work. <$15 tape deck car kit thingy works well
    Yep, if you drive any distance you have to keep changing the frequency you're using
    My car had a Pioneer head unit when I bought it and Pioneer make an Ipod adaptor that sells for about $200 which allows you to control the Ipod through the head unit (I got one for Christmas ) I find it works quite well, but might be a bit easier to use on a newer head unit (Mine is relatively old an missing a few functions)

http://www.pioneer.com.au/car_entert...100/index.html
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

is there any thing i can use to plug it into my 206gti (2001) headset?

Quote Originally Posted by alexb618
    if you decide you want a fm transmitter i will sell mine for $20 ($50 new) - it turns out i never really use my ipod in the car

will this work with a nano?

i got a nano yesterday, i felt so cool like OMG

The standard deck that comes with my 206. The Eurovox deck did not have Inputs on it.

I replaced it with a upmarket pioneer deck that has RCA imputs on the back.. All you need if you have them is a 10 doller cord that you can buy from any Dick Smiths or Tandy's. It is a cord that has a stereo 3.5mm jack (earphone size) at one end and 2xRCA ports on the other end.

Works a treat if you have the inputs. If not, you could buy a FM trasmitter or a tape deck adaptor. Thing is. The FM transmitters only broadcast at 72khz i think, what ever FM radio is, which isnt a very good signal if you are cranking your music, Hence its better to go for the cheaper RCA cord or even the tape deck adaptor if you have a tape deck.

Those 300 doller ipod dock adaptors will produce the same sound as the RCA cord which you can buy for 10 dollers, as long as you have the RCA inputs. The only differnce is when you buy one of those 600 doller decks that have the ipod adaptors in them, enabling you to control your ipod, choosing songs etc, through the face unit in your car.

Quote Originally Posted by PugFunk
    Those 300 doller ipod dock adaptors will produce the same sound as the RCA cord which you can buy for 10 dollers, as long as you have the RCA inputs. The only differnce is when you buy one of those 600 doller decks that have the ipod adaptors in them, enabling you to control your ipod, choosing songs etc, through the face unit in your car.
    The iPod interfaces are about the $200 mark. JVC are rumored to be releasing theres soon in Aus. I've heard that RRP will be about $149 AUD.

You're correct in saying that the RCA leads will produce pretty much identical output. I guess the only advantage of having the interface is that you can hook your ipod up & leave it in your glovebox and still be able to change tracks.

The quality of the interface however is very much dependant on what head unit you have. I've heard that the lower end alpines are hard to navigate an ipod menu with, however the upper model decks do this a bit more easily.
    2001 306 RALLYE

149 bucks.. Thats pritty good man.

The only other upside to the dock is some of them come with the capabillity to charge your ipod. The RCA cable just runs it off its battery but for most people that isnt a issue.

149 bucks.. wow, but they dont work on the version of ipod i got.. :@
    looks like ill be stickin to my RCA lol

Thread Information